1968 383 Barracuda- center link hits oil pan

-

Dave NEO

Reaction score
this was a swap from slant 6 - has a 699 oil pan. hard right turn (power steering) puts end of center link into pan. anyone experience/seen this? no clue what a solution here might be. thnx for any tips

I believe the 187 pan is what you need for a BB in an A body. Not sure if the PO swapped your k member so? 65'

My '69 Dart does it, with a 187 pan. It's an original BB car, but now sports a small block "K" frame and Schumacher mounts. Your mounts might be sagging??, especially if they are biscuit mounts. Mine is solid on the drivers side, and still does it. So my solution is shim up all three and carefully level the motor side to side, and now it misses by a smidge, which is enough.

It happens with both the 187 and 699. You will need to massage the pan for clearance. OR, swap the steering gear, idler, pitman, and center link from a 73-76 A-body. I have a B-body baffled pan on my 440 and have tons of clearance with the late steering parts.

massaging a new 699 stye pan sounds like a plan. scary looking like it's ready to tear right into the pan - must have been close but I pushed it too hard maybe in a hard right turn..all I can think of- I see mud under paint on oil pan there so a PO had issue with it..

Years ago when the parts guy looked up parts in books, I was seeking pitman arm for my 67 fish. He asked, "Is this a big block car?" My reply was "I wish". His response... "Careful what you wish for 'cause that one is N/A". That's all I know about it. I think if the pitman arm was different/special to relocate the center link, the idler arm would be also. Good luck

If you need one, I have a spare 187 pan that could be had very reasonably. PM me if interested.

Pitman arm was different, and could be his problem. Idler should be correct, as long as its for a '69 Dart regardless of the engine.

can see here where the entire steering link looks like it's too far back so it it misses the factory indentation made in the pan to give clearance. Maybe pitman and idler are both too long and causing this ? Anyway I know I can 'improve' on he factory indent if I get hold of a solid 699 - Wondering is the 893 significantly shallower to give better clearance? the indentation looks like it is the same location.

P9270156.JPG

P9270158.JPG

P9270160.JPG

Last edited:
another question while I am at it - could this swaybar be upside down? I ask because of the poor angle it gets on the end links which to me seems like could improve it the bar was flipped around. . or maybe longer end links would help? It behaves OK but everytime I see it I wonder about that. Any comments appreciated.
P9270152.JPG
P9270153.JPG

Sway bar is the right one. As the suspension compresses it comes into a better alignment. I think it might be upside down compared to mine but mine could be upside down so IDK. My links are a lil longer. I guess that's why they are rubber-mounted.

I have a 360 with a Milodon Roadrace pan. The 68 steering hit it as well. I swapped to the 73 up style which mostly cured it.

Last edited:
The sway bar is shaped like that to clear the lower radiator brace which is missing on your car. Your suspension is just fine.

You might need some dimensions……….
Oil Pan Schematics

A 402 is the shortest without a notch over the c-link and it uses a straight pick up tube. Mine barely scrapes the 402. I do have a torque strap. However, it will be very tight at the driver side K at the lip joint and the bucket corner though. I cleared the lip on my K years ago.
upload_2019-9-27_20-2-29.png

upload_2019-9-27_20-8-46.png

-
Back