1968 426 hemi block

-

Metal bee 68

Reaction score
I found a 68 426 hemi block, I'm going to buy for my 68 dart. He's says its super stock. Is that any diff. From any other 426 block? I don't know much about tha stuff. Just want a hemi.

block isn't any different physically than a street hemi - they key is the numbers on the pad by the distributor.

Lots of guys say they have a super stock block but few do.

Post the info here if you want or look for HC (high compression) on that pad.

Yes there is a 426 WEDGE block and a 426 HEMI block, two totally different blocks

block isn't any different physically than a street hemi - they key is the numbers on the pad by the distributor.

So kinda like 440 and 440hp. I will try to get the info from the guy. Also,what's a block likethis worth?

yep the "HC" is the key from a street hemi to a race hemi...

i think there was another stamp that helped identify them but dont remember... my boss would know

Is it just a block? Short block? (pistons, rods crank etc.)

I don't even know, what I don't know (if that makes sense), but from what I've read it's a big buck undertaking. The elephant motor is highly sought after by many and expensive to "do" right.......

I saw a 426 Hemi on eBay not rebuilt for $17K, one that was rebuilt w/4 spd for $27K.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-426-St...t=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

I guess I'm saying that there's a lot more to it than a (good) block. Is your Dart set up to receive a BB/ K member all that?

Just making sure a fellow FABO member is "eyes open".

BTW, I have a 68 GTS 340/4 spd

Just my .02

Hemis are great. Nothing quite like them. You better have DEEP pockets though.

In the current Mopar magazine they re-do a SS car's engine. The heads and block were no good. Be careful.

A guy here in town supposedly has 2 hemis. I need to take my cheat sheet of old Hemi casting numbers and see them someday. Then again, maybe not as it would be tempting to try to put one in da fish.

I don't even know, what I don't know (if that makes sense), but from what I've read it's a big buck undertaking. The elephant motor is highly sought after by many and expensive to "do" right.......

I saw a 426 Hemi on eBay not rebuilt for $17K, one that was rebuilt w/4 spd for $27K.

you can build a perfect Race hemi Clone for about 22K... this includes the mag crossram...

I guess I'm saying that there's a lot more to it than a (good) block. Is your Dart set up to receive a BB/ K member all that?

no becasue the hemi takes special mounts, non factory... at least for the correct race hemi stuff...

Hemis are great. Nothing quite like them. You better have DEEP pockets though.
slants have drool tubes to!

P.S. anything SS or Hemi give greg a call @ SS and Afx... http://www.ssandafx.com

dscn1446-jpg.270462

View attachment DSCN1446.jpg

101_4246-jpg.270463

View attachment 101_4246.JPG

101_4245-jpg.270464

View attachment 101_4245.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Its just a bare block. I'm starting whis a 68 dart 270 /6. I know it will take a lot of money,but the blcok is cheap,and I got to start somm where.

be careful. Not trying to tinkle in your Cheerios, but has the block (at least) been magnaflux'd?

How to magnaflux an engine block - YouTube

If there's any cracks in the block, that would show it. I'd hate to see you get taken because of the blur of HEMI.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of old fuel engine blocks floating around and many are torched.

We had a friend that raced blown fuel flatbottoms and he would regularly go out and buy hemi cars in the early mid 70's only for the engines. Plenty of blocks got windowed and tossed in the trash, cars usually got dumped as well.

He's emailing me all the data on the block. As far as magnaflux, don't know? Good call, I will ask. Guy that has it is an old timer,a good'ol boy.said the block is .66 over. Never herd of .66 over.maybe .60?

Numbers on side of block: 248330-1 R.L. 8-19-68
Should be grtting the data plate next.

For the fair market value of a 86 block,it would be cheaper and STRONGER to get a new siamesed bore block:coffee2:

-
Back