1968 Barracuda back space question

-

Joker13

Reaction score
Sorry to add to the deep well of wheel and tire threads. I searched, but did not find an answer for my specifics.

68 Barracuda 8 3/4 with small bolt pattern
I have an old set of slotted 14" rims I want to put on, I measured 3" backspacing.

Had 255 60 14 tires, but they are old and near shot.
I am looking for 275 or 265

Aside from even being able to find such a tire; is the 3" back spacing of concern?

I could try to find vintage 15" slots but that is going to cost $$$ and small bolt pattern will make it even harder. If the backspacing is not an issue, I will go ahead and order the tires.

You can't install the tire and rim to see how much clearance you have on both sides of the tire??

treblig

You can't install the tire and rim to see how much clearance you have on both sides of the tire??

treblig
I can put them on and measure. What am I measuring to from the inner measurement- against the springs?

Air up the tires and then see how far it is from the widest part of the tire to the nearest object. You can use a long piece of skinny stick to hold on the tire (yo get a vertical line) then measure from there. You measure to the springs or the frame whichever is closer.

Treblig

I think the bigger problem is how wide those rims actually are. If I had to guess, I would bet they're 14x6's based on that backspacing. And if that's the case, you shouldn't even have 255's on there. Even if they're 14x7's 255 is the widest recommended tire, so 275's would be too wide for the rim.

I think the bigger problem is how wide those rims actually are. If I had to guess, I would bet they're 14x6's based on that backspacing. And if that's the case, you shouldn't even have 255's on there. Even if they're 14x7's 255 is the widest recommended tire, so 275's would be too wide for the rim.

Good point!

I found a set of 15x8.5s w 3.5" back spacing. They aren't cheap. How wide of a tire will those rims hold?

I found a set of 15x8.5s w 3.5" back spacing. They aren't cheap. How wide of a tire will those rims hold?

Those will take a 275/60/15, but they won't fit. Not enough backspacing for a 15x8.5". You'd need at least 4.75" backspace on an 8.5" rim.

275/60/15's will work on an 15x8, and on a SBP 8 3/4 you could get away with about 4.5" of backspace. 275's are about as big as you can go though with the stock spring locations and unaltered quarter lips.

Those will take a 275/60/15, but they won't fit. Not enough backspacing for a 15x8.5". You'd need at least 4.75" backspace on an 8.5" rim.

275/60/15's will work on an 15x8, and on a SBP 8 3/4 you could get away with about 4.5" of backspace. 275's are about as big as you can go though with the stock spring locations and unaltered quarter lips.
Thanks, good info. Too many decisions. I'd be happy w the slots but the rears just are wide enough for me. if i g ow 15s i have to decide Cragar, Centerlines, etc. I have a great set of Rallys but im trying to preserve those.

I have them on my cuda. I have 255. I think 275 would fit too. I like them.

In order to run that successfully your car has to be pretty high in the back for ride height, because those tires won't actually fit into the wheel wells. 255's on that combo would be about even with the outside of the quarter lip, 275's would be almost another 1/2" past that. It will only work if your car is raised significantly compared to stock, ie, super stock springs, etc.

In order to run that successfully your car has to be pretty high in the back for ride height, because those tires won't actually fit into the wheel wells. 255's on that combo would be about even with the outside of the quarter lip, 275's would be almost another 1/2" past that. It will only work if your car is raised significantly compared to stock, ie, super stock springs, etc.

I am planning on putting in calvert monos w 1" lift.

I am planning on putting in calvert monos w 1" lift.

It's up to you at that point, all I can tell you is that with those rims and those tires the wheel will not physically fit into the wheel well or inside of the quarter panel. In order to pull it off your tire and your quarter can't end up in the same place at the same time, which means you need to have enough spring rate and ride height to make sure they don't come together with suspension travel.

QKFSH67 has done it, but if you look at his profile picture you can see that the wheel opening on that car is several inches higher than the tops of his tires. That's how you have to do it if you hang the tires out past the quarter panel.

This is what it looks like. 255 tire

IMG_20170325_0343108_rewind.jpg

This is what it looks like. 255 tire

View attachment 1715098081

Exactly. The outer edge of the sidewalls on those tires are already sticking out past the outer edge of the quarter panel. I'm sure they don't rub with the car that high up in the air, but if you lowered that car down to anywhere near stock ride height those tires would never work. On the bright side, you can run any width tire you want on that car, they'll never rub. You could run 335's, just hang them out further. You might have to run mud-flaps at some point I suppose. What actually fits inside the wheel well is a non-issue at that ride height, there has to be a good 3" or more between the top of the tire and the wheel opening. That covers all the suspension travel on compression.

-----THIS !

I'm curious how this turned out! I'm looking at doing the same....biggest i can fit without chopping anything up. Now trying to figure out backspacing. I want to go factory looking ralleys. Currently have L60-14's. I have sbp 8.75. I was thinking 15x8's.

u could run a 4 or 4 1/2'' backspace...……...
Yep, and if you think those stick out, ya' should'a seen it with the old N 50s the PO had on it.
4.5s are on the shelf. But even a 4.75 BS leaving almost a half inch from the springs, IMO, would be too close on the well lips at stock height.

upload_2018-8-24_8-36-5.png

Thanks guys, huge help! Im running 3/8" clearance between the sidewall and the spring. One problem i've had with fender clearance was on the highway with a significant bump in the road, and in Cleveland there are plenty of them. Dave i appreciate the pics. seeing it work vs it will work on paper helps.

I didn't have any problem putting S/R 29X15.00R15LTs on my Barracuda?? I did have to use 12 inch rims though........Treblig

DSC07629.JPG
DSC07625.JPG
DSC07635.JPG

Treblig, 3" bs? those are huge.
I believe they were 3 3/4" BS (I'd have to check??) but I did have to move the springs with the offset shackles. I was going for the 60s street car look. Some FABO members don't like the "jacked-up" look but after crawling under cars for 60 years it really gets old having to get the jack out just to look under the car much less having to work under the car??
DSC04280.JPG
DSC04253.JPG

Treblig

I like oldschool............. that's just how it was.
I miss those days.But if I could have them back, I'd like to keep the accumulated smarts from then to now, while having my 18 year-old body back,lol

Best thing I ever did was narrow my rearend and move the springs. Now all the popular wheels fit or can be made to fit with spacers, Shazzam!! And I can run at stock ride-height or slightly lowered, and the cops never stop me.

-
Back