1968 Barracuda Rallye Wheels ?

-

1968340S

Reaction score
I got a 68 Cuda convertible formula S with steelie wheels.
Fronts are 5.5'' on 4 14" wheel 31/2" back space I think are standard for this car.195/70 tire, going to a 205/70. This is all good.

Backs are 7" on 4 14" wheel 41/2" back space. 235/60 and the back tire rubs on the leaf springs. I like the tire size, but the wheel back space should be 4"
to not rub and still have enough room under the wheel well.

I want to change over to a rallye wheels. Are any ralley wheels from Mopar
sized;

5.5" on 4 14" wheel with 31/2" back space.
7" on 4 14" wheel with a 4" back spacing.

I've been checking out this forum and a lot of talk about 15" wheels. So I don't even know if the 14's with 4" bolt pattern even come in this size for a rallye wheel.

The Summit has 14x6 no 14x5.5 on line.

Any information would help out.

Thanks Chris

car in shop back.JPG

I had 15 x 6 ,w/3.75 bs and 15 x 7`s,w/4.0 bs on my car with 205/70 and 255/60`s and no issues with any rubbing of the tires. You should be able to fit those size tires without much ado. I got the wheels from Summit. By the way, love your car Chris!

Recovered_JPEG Digital Camera_3344.jpg

I have 255/60 tires on 15x8 rallys with 4.5" back spacing on the back and 225/60 tires on 15x7 rallys with 4.25" back spacing on my 68 coupe.

NewTires007-1.jpg

Longgone,

Nice gold color car. Well that helps that 7" w/4.0" bs on a 255.
Is you car still set up with stock leafs, I mean no off set, stock mounting.
Also were your wheels Vintiques from Summit. Your car looks very cool.

Thanks, Chris

dgc333,

You have over 11/4" to 11/2" wider set up with wheels/tires than mine. I've heard that all cars are set up a little different than others. Your Sport Coupe and my Convertible are both the same year. Is the spring mount different or the axle housing wider I'm not sure. Are your rallyes Mopar or aftermarket if that would make any difference. Your car sits nice.

Thanks,
Chris

Longgone,

Nice gold color car. Well that helps that 7" w/4.0" bs on a 255.
Is you car still set up with stock leafs, I mean no off set, stock mounting.
Also were your wheels Vintiques from Summit. Your car looks very cool.

Thanks, Chris

Hi Chris, thanks. The color is the JJ1 ember gold metallic from `68. The springs are in the stock location and the wheels are from Wheel Vintiques via Summit Racing. I`ve since gone to a 15 x 8 wheel with 4.25" bs and a 275/60 tire without moving the springs. It can be done but all of these cars are a little different ,so what works for some may not for others. If you stay in the 3.75-4.25 back spacing range you should be okay.

Thanks Longgone, I think your right on the back spacing. I feel comfortable with at least 3/4" to 1" less back spacing. I'll have to allow for any adjustment in the width in different types of tires. Know I just have to find that set up on the wheels. JJI Emerald Gold. Ya Brother Gold Fish all the way.

Chris

dgc333,

You have over 11/4" to 11/2" wider set up with wheels/tires than mine. I've heard that all cars are set up a little different than others. Your Sport Coupe and my Convertible are both the same year. Is the spring mount different or the axle housing wider I'm not sure. Are your rallyes Mopar or aftermarket if that would make any difference. Your car sits nice.

Thanks,
Chris

The wheels are from Wheel Vintiques. With the 255/60 on the 15x8 I have about 1/2" of clearance to the spring (stock location), I have well over an inch to the outer lip. If the wheel had say 4.25" of back spacing i could easily have gotten a 275/60 tire under it. The springs are XHD leafs so it sits a little higher than stock but even at the stock ride height the 255/60 tires fits with ease. Up front I am running the 73+ disk brakes which widen the track about 1.5". I orignally had 236/60-15 tires up front but the 7" and 4.25" back spacing the tire would contact the front edge of the fender when turned in. A 7" rim with 4.5" of back spacing would have pulled the tire up under the fender a little and I would have been able to stick with the 235/60-15 tire.

Here is another view of the car;

IMG_0810.jpg

Dave,

I wish I had that much room on my car it's just not their. Height is no problem or even the outer lip. I'm keeping the ragtop as original as possible. Staying with the smaller wheels, but I really do not like the spoke hub caps and mine need restoration. The rallye wheel looks so cool and the stock style fit me. I don't want to use aftermarket mags on this car. Your car and looks very well and with that fast look. Longgone Cuda is the same, just fast looking. I'm just crusing, althrough my 340 is not stock, it's not going to handle like your does. I've got a Challenger for the HotRod. I had a 71 big block back in the late 70's. This is my first A- body and thank you guys very much on the takes. If I can't find used, I'll go Vintiques.

I can't imagine why you shouldn't be able to fit the same size tires. The springs are in the same place on all 67-76 A-bodies and the 67-69 'Cudas had about the biggest wheel wells of all the A-bodies.

It blows me away that I can't fit the same size wheel that you have. I got Dunlop G/T Qualiier tires if that would even make a difference. Maybe the rear end has been changed. The pumkin has 2070741 casting and that is a low rating for a Formula S and not a Hi Performance. The 207042 is a Hi Performance set up , but I don't know if the Formula S came stock with it. I'll meassure the rear end and see if its to specs. I did call Summitt today about the wheels and the smallest wheel for a 14" is a 6" width. So I'll check to see if I can clear this size for the front with a 60 series tire.

HEY guy i just bought a 68' barracuda NOTCH. been looking for some wheels and tires but I'm completely lost on what i could get and make fit. -

I've been looking for some 15" magnum 500 wheels

but I'm not even sure what bolt pattern i have on the car. i have a spare wheel in the trunk that measures 5x4 1/2 but i was told the bolt pattern for my car is 5x4.

also I'm trying to get some 225/70/15 rear & 205/60/15 front - would that fit good?
would these fit on 15x7 wheels?

could i get the 235/70/15's to fit in the rear with ease?

Also love the wheel and tire set up you have there dgc333 GREAT! Do you have anymore photos?

THANX for the help guys..

I run 14" in front 5 1/5 (I think) wheels 205/70 tires. In the rear I have the 15x8 wheel Vintiques with 275/60-15 drag radials on my 68 fish. They fit fine. May get 275/50's next time.

Would a set of 14'' small bolt pattern Ralleys off a 69 GTS work?

They should. Here is a shot of mine when I had the ralleys on it. they came off a 70ish Dart. Too long ago to remember the exact year.

Carls68cuda.jpg

The small bolt off the Dart is the same. I bought a pair of 15"x7" small bolt from a vendor at Carlise.He makes them and had a bunch. I paid $150.00 for the pair! Good deal and now they are on my 68 Cuda.

-
Back