1968 convertable dart/hemi

-

jimrat

Reaction score
Progress on my 68 dart hemi convertable. Started in june 2006 will have lime paint sprayed by jan 07, maybe driving by july 07. I have owned car since 1984 where I bought it from under a shade tree in tenn. It had sat there for 13 years and had rotted the quarters broke the engine block [273] and k-frame lower bushings rotted. I switched out a 1976 dart engine k-frame and drove to mich in 1987. Tore down to restore and was not ready to do so, so I stored it in my garage for the last 18 years. Finally in a good position to restore it with my own auto repair shop. The old 273 is long gone but a 5.7 hemi from a 2005 dodge truck will be a nice feature. I built my own body rotessiore and blasted every thing except outer body. Welded new quarters and fixed a few mouse nest rust holes from sitting so much and am ready to paint the bottom Will try to get pictues customized to down load to computer later. It is not easy to install a late model hemi I have installed a rack and pinion from a t-bird for clearence and have a stand alone pcm so far. I will be using all sensers and injection system along with drive by wire.

a131.jpg

dart 004a.JPG

dart 005a.JPG

dart 007a.JPG

dart 009a.JPG

dart 055a.JPG

Get those photos up here so we can all drool over your car. It would be nice to see some photos and installation notes on that T-Bird rack and pinnion also. Inquiring minds are abundant here.......

thanks big project I would like to share photos but my camera is loading to big of a photo and this site will not load them until I can shrink them. Any idea how? I am not good with this kind of stuff.Well got the photos in but have many more. As you can see there is a lot of time with installing a rack and pinion but was my best choice given the room needed under hood. It can be done with a steering box ,[manual] but I am spoiled with power steering and thought short ratio steering would be nice. I cut off quarter panels at factory seams 20 years ago not knowing better. I was forced to buy used ones in tenn junk yard. This turned out to be a big project to remove used panels without distroying them, and had to repair those any way. lower ball joints and spindels switched from rt to left to place steering linkage to front of control arms for the rack and pinion. I found that I will lose some turning radius. About 2 inchs enough to notice but for me not a daily driver. My k-frame needed motor mount stands modified anyway so fitting the rack wasn't that much more work. most of my heavy modifocations are done now just detail work to make it look nice.

-
Back