1968 Dart interior piece questions

-

1968 Dart 270

Reaction score
Hi,my 1968 Dart 270 is missing the ashtray and the trim piece/cover for under the steering column. Am I correct that the ashtray is a 68 only item because of the lower dash pad? Is the steering column bezel/cover also 68 only because of the pad or will any 67-69 cover fit? Thanks.

P.S. if any of you guys have a photo of the ashtray and the bezel so I know what to look for I’d appreciate it.

Not sure about the ashtray because it DOES finish kind of flush to the pad
I don’t believe the bezel trim piece under the column is any different though, unfortunately, I don’t know where it is right now.

FEAC441F-8D24-45B1-AB16-4BE6D829C8DB.jpeg

F3BB8F0E-640B-477E-9E5A-4A84828E990C.jpeg

Thanks for the photos of the pieces. Is the column bezel a spare piece you have? I’m thinking the ashtray must be special for 68 models. I keep seeing ones that pull downward instead of sliding straight outward. Maybe someone else here knows.
Yes, 1968 slides forward, 1967 and 1969-1976 flip down. The 1968 was redesigned for the lower pads, in 1969 they were not mandated anymore so they went back to the 67 design...

Thanks for the photos of the pieces. Is the column bezel a spare piece you have? I’m thinking the ashtray must be special for 68 models. I keep seeing ones that pull downward instead of sliding straight outward. Maybe someone else here knows.
No, sorry, not a spare You should post an ad in the parts wanted page.
Good luck with your project, I’m getting close with mine, but something else always seems to divert my attention.

Yes, 1968 slides forward, 1967 and 1969-1976 flip down. The 1968 was redesigned for the lower pads, in 1969 they were not mandated anymore so they went back to the 67 design...

We’re the lower dash pads federally mandated? I never heard that before. I assumed it was just a design change. Usually once the government mandates something they don’t change their minds the next year. I personally like the lower pads. They make the dash look sleeker. Thanks for verifying that the ashtray is a one year only item. That and the column bezel are the only two pieces I’m missing

No, sorry, not a spare You should post an ad in the parts wanted page.
Good luck with your project, I’m getting close with mine, but something else always seems to divert my attention.

Thanks,I’ll do that. I need the brown color like you have because my car has the gold/copper interior with brown dash. Good luck with your project. I know what you mean. I am still working on mine as a drive it daily to work. Bought the voltage regulator for the dash,the ground strap for the fuel sender,the sender is new and still no gas gauge. After that everything is mechanically sound at the moment. By the way,you name reminds me of the old Roger ramjet cartoon from the 60’s that starred Gary Owens.

It’s actually black, between the sunlight & pollen, it looks brown in the photo.
Me & a buddy had a snow day & were out bombing around & ended up in the next town over & their school wasn’t canceled. I came around a corner sideways hitting 3rd and there was a school crossing up ahead. When I brought it to a stop, the crossing guard came over & said “I dont need any of that Roger Ram Jet **** around here “ well my buddy cracked up and has called me Roger, or Ram Jet or Ram Rod (cause my name is Rod) for 40 years now. His dad still calls me Ram Jet.

-
Back