1968 Dodge Seagrave Fire Truck.. never seen one before..

-

RedNewport

69 Dart
Reaction score
I don't post often but I came across this FB marketplace ad today. I've never seen this before and I thought other people would be interested.
The ad says it's running a 413 industrial engine. With the 911 stickers it looks like it was being used probably well into the 90's at least.
This was advertised in suburb outside of Montreal.
Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 9.25.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 9.24.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 9.24.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 9.24.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 9.24.50 PM.png

I wonder how the PTO works?
Flip of a switch or manual lever?

And you just stumbled across that in the woods ?
What a lucky guy, LOL

I would buy that in a heartbeat if I had a place to put it and a way to get it home.

Or, Scrap the pump and put a roll back on it. Cool way to transport your Mopar car to an event.
I remember seeing the tan and brown one carrying a mopar at Columbus Ohio 2 years ago. Cant find the pic, but it looks cool.

Seagraves is a fire truck builder, they used to use all kinds of cabs & chassis to build trucks. One of the other manufacturers was American LaFrance, but I don't think they used any cab & chassis trucks.

Yes, we had alot of Macks in NY, then we started ordering La Frances when Mack ended.
One of our Pumpers was the last Mack CF chassis produced.
The older Macks were great rigs, open backs, manual PTO, Waterous pumps.
Kind of crude, but very reliable and fast.
Todays Fire rigs are more comfortable rides with AC , but way too many sensors and safety alarms.
Used to be a great experience cruising to fires in an open back rig, on a hot night, you could smell the telltale odor of a structural fire, the wood/paint/plaster combination from blocks away. Anyways, apologies for getting off subject here,
I guess I miss the Good old days!

Last edited:
Yes, we had alot of Macks in NY, then we started ordering La Frances when Mack ended.
One of our Pumpers was the last Mack CF chassis produced.
The older Macks were great rigs, open backs, manual PTO, Waterous pumps.
Kind of crude, but very reliable and fast.
Todays Fire rigs are more comfortable rides with AC , but way too many sensors and safety alarms.
Used to be a great experience cruising to fires in an open back rig, on a hot night, you could smell the telltale odor of a structural fire, the wood/paint/plaster combination from blocks away.
Good old days!
Sounds like the words of a fireman? I was for 33 years. I started driving a long nose Howe. 610 cu in straight 6. It had two complete ignition systems in case one failed. Non synchro transmission, if you missed a shift you had to come to a almost stop and start over. Those were the days when you could ride tailboard!

I've seen a lot of ford C cab versions of those.

A local U-pull yard has a 72 D-200 ex-fire mini-pumper that they use to pump out the water from the yard when it floods.
It's actually in pretty good shape.

...and I just noticed the other day, there is another ex-fire 72 long bed step-side D-200 with the same paint scheme in a large used car lot/service business.

They aren't local fire districts and I can't read the door on the second one but they could be from the same place.

Sounds like the words of a fireman? I was for 33 years. I started driving a long nose Howe. 610 cu in straight 6. It had two complete ignition systems in case one failed. Non synchro transmission, if you missed a shift you had to come to a almost stop and start over. Those were the days when you could ride tailboard!
Yep, I did 33 years also!
My dad did 36, started his career in 1956, and drove the old 'Chain Drive' Ward La France, open cab with the gear shift on the running board. Like you said, he had to double shift, into neutral, then into the next gear, to slow the shaft speeds, otherwise you grinded, no synchros.

Damn your dad did start back in the Stone Age. Of FF. Thanks to the both of you for your service. The Howe was the oldest unit in service when I started 1978. I remember when you engaged the pump PTO, you also had to hold the clutch pedal down and when in pump gear it held the clutch pedal to the floor. I was always worried that pedal was going to release and the truck take off.

You too.
Yea, they bucked like crazy, and you know what? Nobody ever fell off the back step, because they held on , like men.
Too many safety devices these days, but thats a whole different conversation. Lol

Never worked for FD but as a kid I loved the show "Emergency" based on the first para-medic crew, and paid attention to the vehicles at the local fire stations.

Where I grew up in OH they were called "Box-21" for some reason and were in ambulances.

I remember the open cab Mack, Pirsch and LaFrance engines still in regular use.

I also remember when the first "attack pumpers" based on pickup trucks showed up.
They were Dodges.

Never worked for FD but as a kid I loved the show "Emergency" based on the first para-medic crew, and paid attention to the vehicles at the local fire stations.

Where I grew up in OH they were called "Box-21" for some reason and were in ambulances.

I remember the open cab Mack, Pirsch and LaFrance engines still in regular use.

I also remember when the first "attack pumpers" based on pickup trucks showed up.
They were Dodges.
Loved Emergency, still catch episodes on cable, heres an open cab rig from the show...
Screenshot_20200828-104836_Video Player.jpg

-
Back