1968 gts seatbelts

-

Joe1972dart

Reaction score
How’s it going folks, my dad recently picked up a 1968 gts 340 and had to put in a new carpet. While changing the carpet he thought that the seatbelts were changed. We looked up a survivor 1969 gts 340 same color combination just different year (light makes right is the tittle on Hemings) and it has red lap belts while ours has black lap belts. What would be the correct color belts for this car. Is there a way to figure out based off the vin or fender tag or do you need the build sheet to determine. We would like to keep the car as original as possible. Any help would be appreciated, thank you for looking.

I always thought 68-69 were black wrinkle while 67 was Chrome regardless of model and interior color, but I could be wrong. I took some seat belts from a 68 GT and they were black lift. I have most of them if you looking for date coded, black seat belts for a bucket seat car.

Thanks dano, The pull and fabric material are both black currently. I was wondering if the fabric and pull would of been burgundy/maroon like the 1969 in this link( https://www.hemmings.com/blog/article/light-makes-right-1969-dodge-dart-gts/). We have 2 ‘69 coronet 440 models and the belt fabric and pull match the color of the interior, which I’m not sure was a ‘69 thing on b bodies (different way to buckle). My ‘72 dart (different way to buckle) I believe is black while the interior is blue. I looked at other cars on google images and some have black belts while others have the same color fabric and pull as the interior color. We are curious because we like the look of the red belts, but if it came with black we are going to keep it black.

our 68 gts convertible has chrome hardware and light blue belts that match the interior.

My seat belts. they are original, are a very dark green, as are the release handles. Even the shoulder belt, which by the way I have always hated in these 68-9 Mopars.

My mother's 68 Dart, had matching belts.[green] My Dad's69 Coronet convertible, had matching belts.[blue] My 69 dart has black, but the interior is black, as well.

The belts still have the tag on the belts labeled for the 4th quarter of '67 at least on the fronts. The rubber or plastic covers that cover the mounting hardware are missing so we were not sure. I will post pics of the missing items locations later tonight or tomorrow. Would anyone have a survivor or all original gts that could take pictures of their belts in relation to the color of their interior. I look on google at interiors and some are black while others are color matched so I am not sure if some were changed or if they are original belts.
Thank you
Joe

I appreciate those who have answered also. We are still curious because dad also had a '69 gts with white seats with black belts and carpet. He figured it had something to do with the carpet color but was not sure.

We have black female and chrome male also. Pictured is both sides (both drivers side) one closest to door and one closest to the console where it mounts yo the floor. They should have covers where it mounts and I believe a cover that goes over the middle of the belt where the metal bar is.

20200227_210302.jpg

20200227_210315.jpg

20200227_210235.jpg

20200227_210247.jpg

Also I decoded the fender tag a bit and found out the build date was October 23rd of '67? Not sure if this would help.

20200227_213810.jpg

This is the car in question. We put the simulation mag covers on because we liked the look better. The car would of came with the Dodge division full covers. But as of every thing else it is original as possible, but are still unsure on the belts.

IMG_20200228_124057_01~2.jpg

That spring loaded hair curler of a retracter is 67 type. Hidden retracter is typical for 68 model. There was a parts shortage due to a railroad strike. That and using up what inventory they had could very well be factors in this build. Plymouth put rally instrument panels/Barracuda dashes in some number of Valiants.

-
Back