1969 383 GTS Power Steering

-

6PakBee

Reaction score
Okay, I have a copy of the 1969 engine assembly manual and the 1969 parts book. If I am reading everything correctly, my 383 GTS should use the Federal pump without an oil cooler. Is this correct? Thanks.

Yes on Federal pump, no on oil cooler. I have a 69 GTS 383 4-speed with factory power steering and still have the original set-up and hoses. Also, the k-frame is unique to a power steering car, I just verified it with my original and a couple others I bought at swap meets.

Yes on Federal pump, no on oil cooler. I have a 69 GTS 383 4-speed with factory power steering and still have the original set-up and hoses. Also, the k-frame is unique to a power steering car, I just verified it with my original and a couple others I bought at swap meets.
First off, thanks for a complete, useful response. Like the old Packard ads put it "Ask the man who owns one". I have never heard about the K-member difference with PS. What is different? My car is completely disassembled and if I need to start walking the face of the earth looking for another part, now is the time!

The power steering sector will not fit in a manual steering sector k-frame. Here is a picture of both next to each other, the one on the left is a power steering k-frame, you can see how the bracing was changed inside and underneath the motor mount.

383 k-frame.jpg

Wow! That is a major change. I was going through the '69 body assembly book last night and I couldn't have picked this change out in a million years. Thanks so much for posting the pictures.

Missing something here!

I am close to the upgrade on a very original 69 383 "S" Fish! I have all the needed parts short of the steering Box I think! This is very disturbing to me!

My K is not compatible? I am not seeing this in the parts manual I have! More info and better Pics on the same even plane please!

23-32-17 section in the parts manual. 69 k-frame 2925946 works for both manual and power, I should have been more specific. 68 2883984 without power, 2883999 with power. It was not a full year production for 68 power steering, so more often than not you got a non power k-frame, sorry for the confusion...

I have a friend with an original power steering ‘68 383 Barracuda. I’m going to look at his k frame and compare it to my manual steering k member in my ‘68 383 Barracuda.

Thanks for the information!

Last edited:
@HemiSSDart

Would you be able to post a few more close up pictures of each k frame?

That would be of great help to me, e58duster75 and 1969383S.

Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Now it makes more sense. I reviewed the body book this morning and it splits the K-member into "with 062 sales code (have no idea what that is) prior to January 1, 1968". Then it has "with 062 sales code and E63 (383 engine) after January 1, 1968". As mine is a 1969, I should be good to go. Thank God, another part I don't have to walk the face of the earth for.

Here are close-up pics of first the 68 manual style and the 69 power steering style 383 k-frame bracing

68 k-frame.jpg

69 k-frame.jpg

HemiSSDart.

Is the “window” opening in this k frame to allow for the longer snout of the power steering box to stick through?

3C768996-D697-456E-A4C1-1EDFD58F71F6.jpeg

Yes, but not necessarily sticking through, just allowing room for the extended nose of the power steering sector..

From your experience with both these k frames, do you think it would be possible to install a power steering box in a manual steering k frame if a small “window” was cut on the plate under the engine mount of the manual steering k member?

From your experience with both these k frames, do you think it would be possible to install a power steering box in a manual steering k frame if a small “window” was cut on the plate under the engine mount of the manual steering k member?
I think you would have to carve a hole out of all three brackets to make it work, but it is possible.

Thanks for the info HemiSSDart.

My (69 383 4-Speed) GTS had power steering when I got it in 1990. What I am having trouble with is the correct pump and brackets. The one that is on it now has the belt passing under the water pump pulley and it touches ever so slightly making rub marks on the bell shaped part of the pulley. Any chance you have some detailed pics of the correct pump and brackets? And possibly the correct water pump pulley? I believe the pulley is correct, but as with anything Mopar, you never know....

-Dave

See if this helps.

Pulley is special to 383 A-body. 2951128

383PS.jpeg

-
Back