1969 Barracuda 383 Cold Case Radiator

-

CdnValiant

1969 451-S
Reaction score
I purchased a Cold Case 22" Rad for a big block Barracuda MOP756A-5 which has the 1 1/2 upper rad hose off center to the left side and a lower 1 3/4 rad hose. The lower hose is inset 2 inches further from the left side when compared with the original mopar rad. Installation was fairly straight forward until I tried to install the lower rad hose. There was no way I could get it on to the radiator with the standard PH8 size oil filter. I found a shorter oil filter that made it possible to get the hose on the rad, but there is considerable interference between the hose and filter compressing the hose (pictures attached). I would like to use the rad as it looks like a well made part but don't have a solution to the problem. Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution. The alternative would be another supplier. Wizard appears to have the lower hose to the far left as it was the mopar rad, but costs considerably more.

IMG_5890.JPG

IMG_5891a.JPG

IMG_5893a.JPG

IMG_5933a.JPG

IMG_5890a.JPG

Not good! The connection should be further left.

What hose are you using? Likely does not matter. Kinks are bad for flow!

Shorter filter not good! All my opinion!

The hose is the stock replacement part which fit the original rad fine with no oil filter issues. I am not too happy about using the short filter. I can't draw any conclusion on cooling as I haven't driven far and days have been cool.

Seems you will have to do a custom fit hose with metal angles and multiple joints to make this work!

Damn why is this stuff sold this way?

The pictures on the Champion site show the lower rad hose for the BB Barracuda inset from the left also, but perhaps not as much. Has anyone tried the Wizard rad for a 69 BB Barracuda? I would consider their rad, but would like to hear how others may have found the fit. I think the rad I bought would work for a small block with the small block oil filter location. The car is pretty strong 451 and the original rad was marginal on hot days.

The lower connection has to go all the way as far as it can go to the edge of the radiator. None of the aftermarket radiators get it right, I don't know why people still use them, just recore your original. If you don't want to, and it is a 2949065 PM me and I will buy it...

The lower connection has to go all the way as far as it can go to the edge of the radiator. None of the aftermarket radiators get it right, I don't know why people still use them, just recore your original. If you don't want to, and it is a 2949065 PM me and I will buy it...

Me as well!

Fit should be this good! Goodyear stock hose and do not beat me up on the Fram! Old stock from the 90's! If I still have one more I will use it or go NAPA Gold, from Wix For the Oil change this weekend.

This is an 033 from Glenray!

IMG_1101.JPG

Last edited:
If you choose to run it this way, make sure you have the coil spring insert.

I would not!

The hose is hard on the filter and 2 kinks! The inner spring will not help!

I don't think I could get the hose attached to the rad with a spring in it. With the rad mounted to the body and the motor with some movement on the rubber mounts, the hose would not probably last long. My original rad is 2949065. It may be a good idea to consider a recore. Any suggestions on details of a recore for better cooling.

I don't think I could get the hose attached to the rad with a spring in it. With the rad mounted to the body and the motor with some movement on the rubber mounts, the hose would not probably last long. My original rad is 2949065. It may be a good idea to consider a recore. Any suggestions on details of a recore for better cooling.

I would send it to Glenray and ask for the extra ripple tubes! JMO.

Call them to discuss!

With the correct fan/spacer and shroud you will be very happy! Also use a 180/ or 5 High flow stat from Milodon and Flow cooler high flow pump!

Best thing I have done for mine from ownership in 1984! The last 7 years have been awesome and trouble free!

Last edited:
You never mentioned if it was a 383 or 440! Care to share?

Cool!

Save that radiator or sell it to me!

Just sent an email to Glenray asking about a rebuild.
From the replies, it doesn't sound like people are having much luck with the fit of aftermarket radiators for big blocks.

They do not work as well either.IMO

I could not source an 065 in my time frame to drive again, I was to anxious! This 033 for 68 BB cars fits the same! I may have got one of the last units they reproduced and glad I pulled the trigger when I did!

Glenray does some great work!

IMG_2776.JPG

Last edited:
I would just take the radiator to a welding shop that does aluminum Tig welding and have them move the fitting over and then patch the hole that it left.
It would avoid wasted time and shipping charges etc. and have it back on the road pronto.
Then try to back charge them for the repairs, I doubt that it will go anywhere, but at least they will know about the issue.........

I thought about that, but then there would be no warranty, and I haven't driven the car enough with the new rad to evaluate its ability to cool the motor. I have sent the pictures to the company as anyone with a big block will have the same issue and thought the company might revise their design and offer a replacement that would work. When I hear back from Glenray, I will decide on the return, or the modification, or the rebuild of the original. Living in Alberta, the driving season is short and I don't want the car parked too long waiting on a rad that will work.

Maybe a radiator shop could move it over a couple inches....I would not run it too long like that.....

Jeff

I know that you are in a spot and do not have many choices, the GlenRay will be OMG expensive. Best of luck!

-
Back