1969 Convertible top switch repair

-

bricud

Cuda's Cuda
Reaction score
Is there someone out there who repairs convertible top switches. I have mine but it is shot internally. Hard to find part that looks original. Any options would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Your general purposes toggle switch should work and look close.
Just search for SPDT toggle momentary switch, generally listed as (On)-Off-(On), just avoid the ones listed as miniature or mini.
This will restore functionality while you sort out the correct looking one.

Alan

Do you know what the current rating should be? I see some rated at 2.5 amps and some at 20 amps. I assume it should be heavy duty but not sure what the current rating should be.

Thanks

There is a guy on eBay selling "rebuilt" switches.

Search eBay by the switch part number.

Currently he has a 66 and older switch for sale. The handle is a bit different but very similure.

As for current ratings. The circuit breaker is 30 amps IIRC.

BUT...
you could use a lower rated switch and have it control relays mounted in the top pump area.

Whatever you do DO NOT toss the switch.

If you ever think of getting rid of it I'll take it .

Lastly there are companies that repair old switches. Google switch repair.

Instrument specialties could probably point you in the right direction too.

Old post, but it has the switch number and the amp rating of the cir breaker

https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/67-69-dart-convertible-top-switch.383049/

Cross refrence list

[WANTED] - 2820408 power top switch

Hope you are sitting down....

This is a 65/66 the handle is a bit different and the connections are different.

1965-66 EX IMP FOLDING TOP OR ELEC T/GATE SWITCH ON INSTR PANEL MOPAR PN 2496921 | eBay

Last edited:
You might want to run a part wanted ad for a good used one. Many convertible models used the same switch as the station wagon tailgate window.

Also the antenna switch on 66 and older is the same switch as 66 and older top switches.

Search eBay for a station wagon rear window dash switch and also search for a 67 ish mustang

E552E637-EEEE-4881-826C-2E8282E1D20E.png

Is there someone out there who repairs convertible top switches. I have mine but it is shot internally. Hard to find part that looks original. Any options would be appreciated.

Thanks.
i have the perfect solution for you. i make switches that are exactly like oem but with new mechanism. if you are interested i will send pictures. guarantee you will want one when you see it.

i have the perfect solution for you. i make switches that are exactly like oem but with new mechanism. if you are interested i will send pictures. guarantee you will want one when you see it.

You going to be at Fall Fling?

Would like to see one

by the way this is dalis lachance. you might know me from the canadians or my 69 GTS convertible (white/black top)

sure, i will make one and show you. I have multiple choices for switches. I have a stock one that I took apart and got working again. has a strong toggle. i have my 1st experiment (fig 1). and i am building a new one with a new bezel. OEM is $200 figure one is a new switch with a oem toggle and older bezel. $150. the new one with fresh bezel will be $200.

IMG_0609 (1).JPG

IMG_0607 (1).JPG

IMG_0608.JPG

sure, i will make one and show you. I have multiple choices for switches. I have a stock one that I took apart and got working again. has a strong toggle. i have my 1st experiment (fig 1). and i am building a new one with a new bezel. OEM is $200 figure one is a new switch with a oem toggle and older bezel. $150. the new one with fresh bezel will be $200.

View attachment 1715992360

View attachment 1715992361

View attachment 1715992362

Very cool. Nice work

I have B-body ones, but they are that big toggle style. And the aftermarket one in my Dart works, but lever doesn't look right.

I rebuild all MoPar switches, even the 2820408 Dart / Barracuda top switch.

I'm on most MoPar sites (and Epay) as devinism

Perhaps you could
I rebuild all MoPar switches, even the 2820408 Dart / Barracuda top switch
Perhaps you could outline your procedure?

Maybe with some photos of a rebuild you have done.

Not trying to copy your work just want to know how far you repair vs clean

i sell new switches that look exactly like original, not repaired. i do have 1 original that i repaired.

This is me

Here is the last 408 switch I did
1675966245243.png

Can't find my pics of the internals

-
Back