1969 Cuda 440 Fastback race weight?

-

Hot Metal

'69 440 Cuda
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am trying to re-evaluate the HP no's of my 440SP motor from back in the day 1990 against my 125mph NA trap speed as I cannot see it being so low with the spec I had and the weight I was assuming it was (3000lb at the line) and was hoping some of you could give me a fairly close idea of what it could've weighed from the spec I will give below and from similar vehicles you have run or run now knowing the weight of your car. Unfortunately I never got to weigh it race ready. The Web states a factory '69 f-back with 440/727 to be 3530lbs.

Motor>..440SP all iron with ally intake, 4150 carb, stock starter motor, 2" f/well hdrs.
Trans>...727, 8" verter
Body>...Back halved, 2x3 mild steel chassis, rest, stock floor w/chassis tied. Ally tubs/Tin work in rear.
All steel apart from Hood, stock Dash, no carpets, 6 point m/steel cage with crossbar,
perspex side windows, glass windscreen, lightened doors. No inner wings..stock grille, wipers and motor in tact., no front bumper.
Large 50lb? Battery and 10lb. N20 bottle, ally fuel tank 7 gallon in rear, 2 blue pumps.
Seats>..Lightweight race seats.
Axle>....8.3/4", Spool, 35sp std. shafts, Ladder Bars/coilovers
Susp.>..Stock front w/tors bars.
Wheels/tyres> 3.5x15 C/Line fronts with road type tyres, 135x15, 12x15 S/tricks and 14x32's.
Add>... 220lbs for my weight.
I am now assuming it was in the region of 3200lbs?

its somewhat like how long is a bit of string but I think I've given a good idea for you to come up with what you think it would've weighed and be fairly accurate, perhaps better than me.....thanks.

Last edited:
Probably best just to take it to your local truck scales or even your local metal recycler and get it weighed. You could get the truck, trailer, and car weighed and then weigh just the truck and trailer and subtract the difference. More work, but you will know for sure.

Last edited:
Car is no more, was back in 1990...no matter got a few guys that run similar cars here in uk, I'll sort it from here.

Sorry, I need to learn how to read...

It has been suggested on another site that it could be as heavy as 3200lbs??

3300 -3400 lbs
mine weighed 3270, w/ a half tank of piss, and the stock front buckets, w/ console , 6 point cage, frames tied , 440/505, 727, dana 60, no back seat(finished out as a business coupe ), alum. heads and water pump, prostars all around, fiberglass hood, and front bumper..
Would like to have some lite weight buckets, but my old *** is too wide for the uncomfortable racing buckets.

After several posts by you guys (thanks) and some over here, the general consensus is that we are talking anywhere from 3150>3200lbs + my 230lbs at the time, which would make it 3300>3400lbs at the line with spec above. Thats good enough for me as a good guess, we'll never know the "actual" true weight. But at the end of the day I'm content that the lowly 484hp I thought my old iron motor made@3000 at the line/125mph (NA) trap WAS wrong and is now more like anywhere from 531>547, so the old slug motor as I used to call it, but never believed it to be, is not quite the slug after all:)

Last edited:
After several posts by you guys (thanks) and some over here, the general consensus is that we are talking anywhere from 3150>3200lbs + my 230lbs at the time, which would make it 3300>3400lbs at the line with spec above. Thats good enough for me as a good guess, we'll never know the "actual" true weight. But at the end of the day I'm content that the lowly 484hp I thought my old iron motor made@3000 at the line/125mph (NA) trap WAS wrong and is now more like anywhere from 531>547, so the old slug motor as I used to call it, but never believed it to be, is not quite the slug after all:)
a guy here I know has a really good running 340 engine 68 fast back, w/ no back seat that's unfinished, his weighs more than mine w/ my 440/505 , both auto. , mine w/ a dana 60. Most are heavier than people think. Most b bodies are 38/ 3900 pound tanks too, unless they are the cheaper strippers..

Well I'm not going to get into another saga but seeing as you mention the 340, I always thought my s/strip 1971 340 no's match Cuda, 727, all steel, all iron motor, no cage, no back seat weighed around 3550 with my 230lbs at the line....I wonder....could this be another surprise for me??..surely they are not heavier than that with a SB...this one should be easier to suss out, loads of them over here.

-
Back