1969 Dart Convertible Windshield lower trim

-

mrbluesky66

Reaction score
I am working on a 1969 Dodge Dart GT Convertible. There is a lower thin chrome (stainless) band about a 1/2" in height at the bottom of the windshield, that runs along the cowl. The bottoms of the two pillar posts attach to it. I don't understand how it is supposed to fasten to the windshield. Are there supposed to be clips under the gasket? if not? Care to shed some light for a brother in need? Thanks. Ken

On the convertibles what is used on the lower strip on the gasket is a locking plastic strip much like the 67 Dart/ Barracudas used. It locks into the window gasket groove. It is available repo but expensive.
Depending on what your doing with your car (care about original or not) some use the lower chrome molding like the hardtops have, but this needs to be shortened a little (off each end, to long) This is what I am doing, I like the chrome look. There are no clips in this area so I tuck the chrome under each corner and Butyl seal under the chrome at various places to hold it.
If you already have the chrome strip, it would indicate someone has already decided to change out the plastic locking strip for the chrome.

The OEM insert ( chrome look plastic ) served as a trim and also locked the gasket. I don't know what else one might use to lock the gasket. Depending on how much gasket and lock there is, the grafted stainless reveal might not attach to the correct clips placed in the correct height position.
Since the windshield frame could move, the molding could chip away at paint or make a noise, so maybe glueing it in place is the best plan.

I never had an issue not "locking the lower window seal gasket. Yes technically it gets "locked" by this inserted piece of plastic in the gasket groove.....but in my case and many others ..never a leak never a loose chrome strip never an issue. looks great!
Its not GLUE....its called BUTYL and its used in modern window install. a few dabs in choice places and never an issue.
Installing the window clips for the chrome like on a hard top may or may not work with the convertible window gasket.... Bottom line is, been done for years by many no issues and by the sounds of it his car already was converted to chrome metal strip.

I remember reading where someone used a length of tv cable to fill the void/lock the lower portion. Makes sense... and probably what Im going to try.

The correct stuff is here...not cheap though....
Windshield Lock Strip

Orig&YO-LSsml.JPG

I am working on a 1969 Dodge Dart GT Convertible. There is a lower thin chrome (stainless) band about a 1/2" in height at the bottom of the windshield, that runs along the cowl. The bottoms of the two pillar posts attach to it. I don't understand how it is supposed to fasten to the windshield. Are there supposed to be clips under the gasket? if not? Care to shed some light for a brother in need? Thanks. Ken

A photo of your setup would be very helpful. Not sure if you are adding a piece of s/s trim (from a non-convertible dart) or just talking about the standard convertible gasket lock strip.

Hey Thanks Guys I found my answer. Yes I should have taken pictures, Yes I was going to use and modify a lower stainless from a hard top, oddly enough I had thought about using butyl but wanted to know what was correct. I did see the lock strip channel but thought Dodge quit using the lock strip in 67.' Since I did not have a motor manual, am far more well versed in B's & E's (and am working on a friends/ customers car) Making me the supposed expert I thought I would throw it up on the forum. A friend and Glass man by trade directed me to JC Whitney (of all places). They also catalog Lock Strip for 1967-9 Dodge Dart Convertible. Once again thank you to Marksmopar1; DA69RTGT, 65Val & RealWing for your fast and intelligent responses.

The OEM insert ( chrome look plastic ) served as a trim and also locked the gasket. I don't know what else one might use to lock the gasket. Depending on how much gasket and lock there is, the grafted stainless reveal might not attach to the correct clips placed in the correct height position.
Since the windshield frame could move, the molding could chip away at paint or make a noise, so maybe glueing it in place is the best plan.
Hey thanks RedFish

A friend and Glass man by trade directed me to JC Whitney (of all places). They also catalog Lock Strip for 1967-9 Dodge Dart Convertible. Once again thank you to Marksmopar1; DA69RTGT, 65Val & RealWing for your fast and intelligent responses.

The JC Whitney stuff is NOT correct...and won't work. It's not the crap you buy off a roll. It's rigid plastic w/chrome mylar attached. The proper stuff is in the pic I posted up there^^^

Last edited:
Hey Thanks Guys I found my answer. Yes I should have taken pictures, Yes I was going to use and modify a lower stainless from a hard top, oddly enough I had thought about using butyl but wanted to know what was correct. I did see the lock strip channel but thought Dodge quit using the lock strip in 67.' Since I did not have a motor manual, am far more well versed in B's & E's (and am working on a friends/ customers car) Making me the supposed expert I thought I would throw it up on the forum. A friend and Glass man by trade directed me to JC Whitney (of all places). They also catalog Lock Strip for 1967-9 Dodge Dart Convertible. Once again thank you to Marksmopar1; DA69RTGT, 65Val & RealWing for your fast and intelligent responses.
If you are going to use the hardtop s/s trim piece you have to use the hardtop gasket - not a convertible gasket. Then you have to install the clips along the cowl and cut about 1" off each end of the strip
Jim

-
Back