1969 dart ready for paint....yellow looks wrong?

-

agepag

Reaction score
So recently my fathers car was in a small accident, we decided to have the car repainted the factory y2 yellow since that what he origonally wanted when the car was painted 25 years ago. Anyways we went to the body shop today and they showed us the paint chip and it looks very dull? They said that this is the y2 dodge yellow. What do you guys think? They said d2 is the correct colour, i attached a couple of pics of my father car, it used to be blue as you can see!
Screenshot_20171208-213600.png

Screenshot_20171208-213615.png

Screenshot_20171208-213629.png

Agepag,
Check out my avatar...my 73 Swinger is painted in a 1974 color...Y5 Blaze Yellow and it looks real nice. I see lots of chevys in their yellow, but to me it’s a banana yellow.... too bright...just my thoughts and good luck. 318MG

Ya I saw the y5 blaze yellow, much nicer than the y2. My father is adamant that his original 69 dart was a lot brighter than the y2? Guess we just have to decided weather he wants the factory colour or something closer to what we have now.

Who uses paint chips anymore??? Thats what a paint scan gun is for...
True, but I always felt when we painted the car 25 years ago it was wrong. Now that I see the y2 colour I'm torn between what he currently has and going original. Y2 seems so dull

True, but I always felt when we painted the car 25 years ago it was wrong. Now that I see the y2 colour I'm torn between what he currently has and going original. Y2 seems so dull

Show him some Y5 color cards next to the D2 cards and he’ll see what a fuller nicer color yellow the Y5 is and will look beautiful on his car.

It is all but impossible to pick out paint based on a paint chip.

Show him some Y5 color cards next to the D2 cards and he’ll see what a fuller nicer color yellow the Y5 is and will look beautiful on his car.
1970-71
Y1 is bright...and this is before a little rubbing compound.After a little compound it got brighter.Here is mine.
68-69 Y2 is pale and not as bright as 70-71 Y1
00W0W_lTZH8oqrBF0_600x450.jpg

00h0h_7FxTJmm31bo_600x450 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Y2 is bright...and this is before a little rubbing compound.After a little compound it got brighter.Here is mine.

View attachment 1715119143

View attachment 1715119144
That looks a lot nicer than the color sample he showed me, but your y2 also seems,to be much deeper then what I am finding online. Just searching for Dodge Dart yellow y2 on google the cars seem to look very bland, almost like a yellow beige?

Herr are a couple of y2 yellow darts, last one obviously is not y2 buy its closer to what we currently have, and I think my father wants to keep it close.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That looks a lot nicer than the color sample he showed me, but your y2 also seems,to be much deeper then what I am finding online. Just searching for Dodge Dart yellow y2 on google the cars seem to look very bland, almost like a yellow beige?
That doesn't look like Y2, to me. My '69, is Y2, and looks very similar to the other '69, posted above.

I think we may just scan his current colour.... Funny thing is when the car was painted (by my uncle at plaza Pontiac!) inside the engine, doors, truck look all like the y2, but the rest of the car is much deeper/brighter. Unfortunately he has passed away so I can't ask him about it, but my father says they didn't have enough paint to spray those areas so they only got one light coat where as the rest of the car got multiple coats plus the clear (still drip marks in the fenders!). I wish we had pictures of my fathers original 69 dart from when he was 16 years old, but that car is probably long gone!

My 68 Valiant is Y2 also. Not a huge fan don't if Im gonna keep it this colour. But has grown on me a bit.

So, lemme get this straight: The Car was originally B5 Blue and your Dad wants it YELLOW???????????
Strip that damn yellow paint and go back with the B5.
NO BRAINER.

B52.jpg

those color charts are usually way off. they got screwed up over the years.. better off matching the chip with whats on the car and having them tweak it to make the right color..

So, lemme get this straight: The Car was originally B5 Blue and your Dad wants it YELLOW???????????
Strip that damn yellow paint and go back with the B5.
NO BRAINER.

View attachment 1715119169
Blue will never happen! His first car back in 1969 was a yellow dart swinger. When i was 14 years old I begged him to buy another 69 dart, and we couldnt find yellow, so we found a blue one and the conversation statrted. I really like that y1 top banana and I have a feeling that was close to the color that it was painted 25 years ago.

-
Back