1969 Dodge Dart - Car in accessory mode without key in ignition

-

Lord Sparky

Reaction score
The lights, heater fan, and windshield wiper blades work without keys in the ignition or being in accessory mode. I believe the headlights and dome light should work without the key. I am wondering if the previous owner bypassed the ignition switch when he re-wired the car. Any ideas on where to look? Luckily, there is no drain on the battery when the car is turned off.

The lights, heater fan, and windshield wiper blades work without keys in the ignition or being in accessory mode. I believe the headlights and dome light should work without the key. I am wondering if the previous owner bypassed the ignition switch when he re-wired the car. Any ideas on where to look? Luckily, there is no drain on the battery when the car is turned off.
What did you do after removing the bulkhead connectors as you were doing here?
1969 Dodge Dart - Engine Compartment Main Bulkhead Connector

OK. Thanks.
You are correct.
Dome, parking, headlights, and brakelights are always hot.
Wiper, heater fan, radio are on "accessory." which should be hot only when the key is in run or accessory.

It looks to me like the engine compartment wiring harness is a replacement. I say that because the fusible link wire doesn't look like the original from my '67 etc.
This may not be relevant, but its possible not all the wires match up in the right spot.
Another possiblity is the ignition switch and connector has been changed. Do a search here for '67, 68 and 69 ignition switches. There are differences and I don't know if anyone ever posted up if there are terminal position changes, but it seemed like there might be.

Get yourself a 1969 Dodge Service Manual.
or, if you can't, a 1969 Plymouth Service Manual.
Those will have the most accurate wiring diagrams, including the connectors and cavity positions.

You may want to simplify the scheme to focus on the main circuits.
Basically it looks something like this.
upload_2020-1-15_11-17-1.png

Add or modify details to match what you find vs. what's in the '69 FSM.
Here's one we were working on for a guy with a '68 or '69, I forget.
upload_2020-1-15_11-22-45.png

I'd make a quick visual check and then remove the ignition switch connector.
If the heater loses power, then the problem is likely in the switch and/or the connector configuration.
if so, do some continutity checks to see which terminals connect when the key is off and when it is in run or access.

I don't know if this will be your exact concern, but it sounds similar to a concern that I had on a 70 Duster after I replaced the turn signal switch. The new switch was a Mopar replacement part from a dealership. With the new switch, the wipers and turn signals worked with the ignition off. The new switch was wired differently than the original switch. I had to modify the wiring on the replacement switch to make it match the original switch to fix the problem.

Last edited:
I don't know if this will be your exact concern, but it sounds similar to a concern that I had on a 70 Duster after I replaced the turn signal switch
You might be on to something there...
In my stock wired 67 dart...
If you press the brake with the flashers on and a turn signal on you can listen to the radio without a key. (It's been a while but IIRC that is the combo)
Confirmed... brake, blinker, flasher. I tried the heater motor, and things didn't work so good, too much load I suspect.

Some sort of back feed of power that Dodge knew about and mentions in that FSM

Last edited:
You might be on to something there...
In my stock wired 67 dart...
If you press the brake with the flashers on and a turn signal on you can listen to the radio without a key. (It's been a while but IIRC that is the combo)

Some sort of back feed of power that Dodge knew about and mentions in that FSM
Its possible. Although '70 has a the column key switch. It may have a different hazzard to brake switch arrangement than earlier years. I'm pretty sure we can't pull that trick with our '67s.

-
Back