1969 Dodge Dart Swinger clean up

-

dadsbee

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So the beast is home after a 10 hour day on the roads. Should keep me out of trouble and spending money this Winter. Time to get her on the hoist and start tearing her apart. Bag and tag, here we go again! LOL

1969dartswinger 026.JPG
1969dartswinger 027.JPG
1969dartswinger 028.JPG
1969dartswinger 031.JPG
1969dartswinger 036.JPG
1969dartswinger 038.JPG
1969dartswinger 055.JPG
1969dartswinger 057.JPG
1969dartswinger 059.JPG
1969dartswinger 062.JPG

You are the Man!!! Wish you were my neighbor!!! Beautiful fleet of cars!!!

While that may be true, something that nice, I sure as **** wouldent be taking it apart.
With that kind of support I'm surprised anyone turns a wrench around here. I build airplanes for a living, so I only have one level of completion and that's perfect.... as they can't just coast off to the side of the road when something falls off.

I do aircraft heavy structural repair for a commercial airline for a living myself. That being said, You want to see a sheetmetal restoration project, go look at the one in the members restorations that my son is helping me with. 67/68/69 Cuda dilemma. Car shoulda been scrapped. Heavy sheet metal work starts around PG 16.

Last edited:
Are you planning a resto thread like you did for the bee?
What I was planning to do and why I started this thread, but not so sure now. I am on the A body site correct? 3 likes here for the "unveiling" of the car... yet over 41 and climbing on FBBO. Kinda figured it would be the other way around! No where did I say I as going to start tearing body parts off, but chances are everything mechanical is coming out of the bottom of this car. As noted in the thread title "Clean up".. so somewhere between my full blown Bee restoration and my Super Bird clean up work to take her to Talladega last Fall... Talladega or Bust - 1970 Super Bird Cleanup

What I was planning to do and why I started this thread, but not so sure now. I am on the A body site correct? 3 likes here for the "unveiling" of the car... yet over 41 and climbing on FBBO. Kinda figured it would be the other way around! No where did I say I as going to start tearing body parts off, but chances are everything mechanical is coming out of the bottom of this car. As noted in the thread title "Clean up".. so somewhere between my full blown Bee restoration and my Super Bird clean up work to take her to Talladega last Fall... Talladega or Bust - 1970 Super Bird Cleanup
What's not to like? Dart looks and sounds great. What's the history on the car?

I dont concern myself with the "likes" altho they are appreciated. I more concern myself with "thanks" after offering info, posting pics....whatever is offered to answer a members question(s). To me its manners, but fabo is following society more n more and the lack of manners.
Lots of give n take on fabo, with LOTS of good people but it has its share of "others" so to speak.
Post away, just done expect "attaboy" every time.

dadsbee Sorry If I got off on the wrong foot with you. A bag n tag typically means complete dissassembly of a whole car. Your 340 dart purchase is super super nice. A really clean car, I was mortified at the thought of taking it completely apart because it is that clean. Concider the content of post #11 edited.
Sorry for the way I came across.
Matt

No issues Matt, part of it is I'm new and most don't know me here or how much information I offer up on a daily bases over on FBBO , usually with exact assembly pictures for what a member is asking "how to" on. I have about 10,000 from the Bee restoration alone. Photo evidence is something embedded in my brain, as I document every customers airplane build from start to finish and it just carries over to my own work. I've been wrenching these things for over 45 years and what you had in your long post is a lot of what is going to happen, but beyond a re and re. It's all going to get cleaned up properly. If I have it apart it may as well be done right.

I noted your "I bet you paid top dollar for it" and as I was married at 20 years old with $13.84 in the bank and a bun in the oven, some 38+ years ago, I'm pretty frugal with my hard earned dollars. I actually paid 30% less than any other road worth 68/69/70 Dart currently for sale in Canada.

Yes she looks and runs really nice, but I don't consider a shiny body and paint job a restoration especially when the engine was painted in place, as were other things like the horns, wiper motor etc.

We're all good and if you happen to need some hardware next time a DC3 / C47 or Norseman rolls across the tarmac or some AN fittings.. give me a call ! lol Wayne
DC3cowlings 029.jpg
Inventory 020.JPG
DCP00179.JPG

dadsbee. I too have a lot of knowledge on these old A bodies, but appreciate having more knowledge to add to my "cabeza grande" heres a just now "hangar" pic of my backyard shop lol. Car missing its front clip is sonny's 69 notch. I will follow along on your resto thread, if your willing to follow along on mine lol. Maybe we can both learn from each other. I hope sonny's 69 turns out half as nice as your projects.

20201204_141125.jpg

BTW, I put the "fluke" plates from my Bee on to it! I got the WOJ 696 plates in 1985 after my Father died and my Mother transferred the car into my name (car had been mine since 1979). Had to get new plates and these were what we got.. Wayne O is my name and J = junior and it was so fitting to get 696. Maybe in need to put a 6 pack on this thing...
1969dartswinger 052.JPG

Last edited:
Well at least she wasn't home sick.. didn't wet the bed last night. Not a drop. Man this thing is a mess underneath. "Restored" isn't just body work and a shiny paint job folks! Bonus of the day, I was sold this car... and part of the reason I bought it... as a non numbers, no fender tag, no broadcast sheet vehicle and what do I find today, the engine is it's original heart! I'd better not find a broadcast sheet under the back seat or it's gonna be a conundrum, as I had bought this as a "blank slate" to do what I want with after the 4 year Bee restoration... with every bolt correct to factory!
1969dartswingercleanup 012.JPG
1969dartswingercleanup 074.JPG
My biggest peeve on automatics..missing converter shield
1969dartswingercleanup 013.JPG
1969dartswingercleanup 019.JPG
1969dartswingercleanup 083.JPG
1969dartswingercleanup 101.JPG
1969dartswingercleanup 100.JPG
1969dartswingercleanup 106.JPG
1969dartswingercleanup 110.JPG

Yeah, from the pictures it looks like it needs some TLC on the underside.

Ouch. Missing cotter pins too. Hey dadsbee , I have another resto thread called "67 barracuda notchback restoration" I did some nice 14 gage 2x3 box steel subframe connectors on it. I just went to the metals place and picked up another stick of 2x3 to redo the existing dirt dauber welded 2x2 my sons car, and build a new custom 2x3 boxed lower radiator support for it. You might like the way I did these.

With that kind of support I'm surprised anyone turns a wrench around here. I build airplanes for a living, so I only have one level of completion and that's perfect.... as they can't just coast off to the side of the road when something falls off.

Hey dadsbee,

I work in Aviation too. (30 years now). I’ve been a licensed AME for 27 years and have been working at Pratt & Whitney Canada in Turbine Engine development for over 24 years.

I’d love to meet up sometime. I think we’d have a lot in common.

Bring a Pratt with you and we'll bolt it on...
View attachment 1715642341

Can it handle 5071 horsepower and 27 000 FT/LBS of torque? That’s what I’m working on now (PW150A)

The smallest turboprop I work on puts out 2750 horsepower. (PW127M)

PT6 development is done in Montreal.

Those might be a bit too powerful for your airframe...

Ours are the Rolls Royce Allison AE3007A high bypass turbofan on EMB145s we also have Canadair CRJ700s, and EMB175s. Been doing wifi mods on the new 175s. Been drilling holes in new airplanes for wifi antennas lately. Crazy isnt it.

Does anyone have the same colour dash in their car?? So many shades and the column looks so light compared to the wheel and everything else around it.

-
Back