1969 Dodge Dart upper radiator hose w/o AC

-

jcmeyer5

Token Ford Guy
Reaction score
So I am getting close to putting the engine back in the car and breaking it in. I have an issue with the upper radiator hose. I ordered one that said "without A/C" as we have no AC. I got a hose that looks like it would work, but instead of a 90 bend into the thermostat housing, its a 45 bend. The old one is long gone, but it was a universal bendy one. The one I have now is a Continental 60666.

So either the hose is wrong or the thermostat housing is wrong. For a 1969 Dart with a 340, what is correct? For what its worth, the "with A/C" hoses have a 90 bend from what I can tell from the pictures.

You know, the more I look at it, the more I think that it was just not formed correctly.

Will an A/C hose work for a non A/C car? I would think it should.

Your Continental 60666 is correct with the straight water neck, if you have the stock radiator hose location. Continental hose and belts used to be Goodyear. That is a nice hose and will look right if you have the right water neck. That 60666 is more correct that the hoses that a lot of 67-69 A Body owners have on their cars. If you have any questions just ask.

I think the hose I got is defective... see the attached photo. I have already contacted the vendor and they are sending me a new one.

IMG_0737.jpg

Gates 20594 for the upper with straight up water neck

So I am getting close to putting the engine back in the car and breaking it in. I have an issue with the upper radiator hose. I ordered one that said "without A/C" as we have no AC. I got a hose that looks like it would work, but instead of a 90 bend into the thermostat housing, its a 45 bend. The old one is long gone, but it was a universal bendy one. The one I have now is a Continental 60666.

So either the hose is wrong or the thermostat housing is wrong. For a 1969 Dart with a 340, what is correct? For what its worth, the "with A/C" hoses have a 90 bend from what I can tell from the pictures.
1969 340 Dart with and without a/c although I believe the hose manufacturer is not original for the a/c car, the angle shown to go around the compressor is what I'm trying to show so either one will work for your non a/c car.

OIP.jpg

010.jpg

Last edited:
My situation is the first. So the attachment to the radiator looks correct, but then it just arcs gradually down. Looks like either will work, but I am hoping that the replacement one I am getting will be defect free.

Rock Auto Shows the Continental 60666 and it looks like the correct hose for non A/C.

The Gates 20594 is the correct hose for non A/C but it never appears on any part catalog. Only the A/C hose appears and it's listed as non A/C.

You can only find it on the Gates catalog if you use the cross reference using the Mopar upper hose part number 2863211

image.jpeg

@lemondana Well, the tag says it is. So either the tag is wrong or the hose is defective. Either way, they are sending a replacement for free.

I've got bigger issues right now... I pulled the 4 speed apart last night on accident. Yes, it was unintended. Need to get that back together!

1969 340 Dart with and without a/c although I believe the hose manufacturer is not original for the a/c car, the angle shown to go around the compressor is what I'm trying to show so either one will work for your non a/c car.

View attachment 1715539842

View attachment 1715539845
I'd like to find the part number for the A/C hose in picture 2. It isn't the Gates 20594 according to any of the photos I can find.

@lemondana Well, the tag says it is. So either the tag is wrong or the hose is defective. Either way, they are sending a replacement for free.

I've got bigger issues right now... I pulled the 4 speed apart last night on accident. Yes, it was unintended. Need to get that back together!
I'd like to see a picture of your engine compartment....after you remedy your transmission fubar.

"Toolmanmike" The Continental AC number is 60661, it is actually a nicer hose that shown in that picture.

I'd like to find the part number for the A/C hose in picture 2. It isn't the Gates 20594 according to any of the photos I can find.
Ebay shows this Gates upper rad hose for a/c S-658YR, but if you look at the hose end the number is 20602 ACH=full]1715540304[/ATTACH]

s-l500 (1).jpg

This is a picture of the factory installed upper hose still in place on my 340.

P1040438.JPG

that hose is 50 years old?
Yes it is, The original lower hose is still there also. Crazy, right...
Here is a pic of the odometer showing the actual mileage back when I bought the car in 2014

100_2225.JPG

Last edited:
So I got my replacement hose. Same defective crap. Not even close to correct. Says its a Continental 60666, just like the first one.

I'm gonna try the Gates 20594 here locally and see if that is any better.

So I went to pick up the Gates 20594 today... same story. It looks exactly like the defective Continental 60666.

So now what? Where can I find a good hose?

So I went to pick up the Gates 20594 today... same story. It looks exactly like the defective Continental 60666.

So now what? Where can I find a good hose?
Sounds like you've been getting a good hosin'! Did you try 20602 at the local store?

-
Back