1969 Race Dart w/ 426 Hemi- garaged for 45+ years

-
Wow! That is way cool! I got a low mileage VW Beetle from my dad but it ain’t got a Hemi in it! I’d keep the tunnel ram if possible. Just plain badass all the way around!!

such an awesome opportunity and great car.

like others have said: bag and tag everything and don't throw anything away, no matter how trivial you think it might be.

this is a situation where all of the parts there are head and shoulders above the stuff that's available today and rebuilding or refreshing those will yield much better components.

like others i'd paint the hood, but probably leave the scoop in "as delivered" white. 100% leave the stink bug stance with the meats just barely hanging out the 1/4's. might change the gears so i could drive it on the street.

but like somebody else said, hot race parts from yesteryear are pretty common place on streetcars today. then again, embrace it for what it is. a big nasty snarling beast.

I don’t know how close you are to the Ky/Va border, but… we’ve got a longtime area Mopar specialty machinist here who knows his way around Hemi’s pretty well.
Beverly’s Auto Parts
276) 796-4752

So cooooool. I would pull the plugs and squirt some oil in there and put the plugs back.I would be tempted to turn it over at the crankshaft bolt but that's just me.You are doing the right thing tearing it down after 45 years of sitting. I also would keep what green is on the hood (left and right) and Satin Black the center and scoop. Welcome to the site! You will learn so much from all the great people here.
Oh, and keep the pictures coming. We love pictures.
Thank you. I like the satin black idea on the hood

I don’t know how close you are to the Ky/Va border, but… we’ve got a longtime area Mopar specialty machinist here who knows his way around Hemi’s pretty well.
Beverly’s Auto Parts
276) 796-4752
Thank you for this. Going to take it down to NC and Sean (@replicaracer43) is going to square everything away for me

such an awesome opportunity and great car.

like others have said: bag and tag everything and don't throw anything away, no matter how trivial you think it might be.

this is a situation where all of the parts there are head and shoulders above the stuff that's available today and rebuilding or refreshing those will yield much better components.

like others i'd paint the hood, but probably leave the scoop in "as delivered" white. 100% leave the stink bug stance with the meats just barely hanging out the 1/4's. might change the gears so i could drive it on the street.

but like somebody else said, hot race parts from yesteryear are pretty common place on streetcars today. then again, embrace it for what it is. a big nasty snarling beast.
Thank you! I plan on preserving it. I am going to get the same Keystone wheels for all 4 corners

This is me:

"omg"

Scrolls down

"OMG"

Scrolls further

"OMG!"

Scrolls even further

giphy.gif

OP, I don't know you, but you just made my day. Hell, you made my week. I truly hope you keep us updated. I haven't read a thread like this in many years.

Wow

This is me:

"omg"

Scrolls down

"OMG"

Scrolls further

"OMG!"

Scrolls even further

View attachment 1716076011

OP, I don't know you, but you just made my day. Hell, you made my week. I truly hope you keep us updated it. I haven't read a thread like this in many years.

Wow
Thank you so much! I am excited and will be headed down to NC in the next several weeks. We need to get it running and driving so I can show it off

Thank you so much! I am excited and will be headed down to NC in the next several weeks. We need to get it running and driving so I can show it off

This is all I ask....

Please when that motor breathes its first breath, we need video of it. I'm talking 1080P quality with a good mic. You only get to experience that 1 time. I need to hear it come alive.

So freaking cool

If it were me I would want sooo bad to fire it up before I pulled for teardown.
I think you speak for us all. But IMO the risk is not worth the reward. That engine could be minty fresh and perfect inside except for a rust ring and I wouldn’t want to try and find one matching piston. Let alone the impossibility of finding one if they’re custom. A broken ring land could set it back a long long way. If it were a 360 that sat 40 years I’d be pouring gas down its throat in the first 10 minutes. But a day 2 426 hemi garners a little more respect and care.

I’m all onboard for not cranking it until going through it. There may be some really special parts in that you don’t want to get damaged besides just the block and heads. But, I’m wondering if it’s a factory race Hemi from another car or an over the counter piece. There should be a pad on the drivers side of the block in front of the manifold with some information stamped on it, as well as some I’d numbers possibly stamped elsewhere depending upon year. And casting date numbers, too.

Wow! I'm pretty certain the word "AWESOME" was created for this exact situation! Just wow, that is so unbelievably cool! I'm with the collective here, maintaining this as close to it is now, while refreshing the mechanicals. My opinion on the hood is green hood, black scoop, to match interior and roof.

This is all I ask....

Please when that motor breathes its first breath, we need video of it. I'm talking 1080P quality with a good mic. You only get to experience that 1 time. I need to hear it come alive.

So freaking cool
You are right it only happens 1x……I need to look into a mic and see if my camera does quality video………

-
Back