1970 340 Dart Swinger - Gas cap painted?

-

Road Grabber

Reaction score
I started this A body with boxes of parts....

My body guy has the car. I was wondering if the stock gas cap is painted like the body color? If so I have to locate one so that when the car is painted it's painted that day.

Does anyone know of a good source to get a gas cap?

Thanks in advance....

I your gas tank has 4 vent lines it has the California emissions control system and needs a vented gas cap. If it doesn't have the vents then it needs the non vented cap.

In Calif. cars that year, before Jan 1, 1970 production dates used one cap, and Jan1st-on used another. Look at your tank, production date, and filler neck to see which one it should have. They need to match and also match your crankcase breather on your valve cover. Mixing early and late can have problems with venting.

Would anyone happen to know if the gas tank has a mat placed on top of it before installing it like my Charger does up against the trunk floor?

There's a bunch of sellers on Ebay that have them. Various materials from the original type felt/tar paper ones to foam rubber type. I don't know if one is better than the other.

A word from experience - buy two caps and have them both painted with the car!!! If you do you will never lose the first one. If you don't you will lose the cap in 2 weeks and never get a good paint match for your replacement.

-
Back