1970 340 Swinger steering column gets hot

-

raydurr

Reaction score
Hello. While driving my car , after an hour or so the area of the steering column near the ignition switch gets very hot to touch. Who else has experienced this. BTW the car is totally factory. The highest amp load going thru it is probably the blower motor while this is occurring.

Start with ignition switch. Pull it and check it. Could also be other wiring in the column. 48 year old electrical parts. Many people on this forum have disconnect switches on the battery that they open when then car is parked to prevent fires. Yours seems to be a problem while running. I would not drive it until that issue is resolved. Last thing you want is a car fire.

Also keep in mind that this could be engine compartment/manifold heat drafting up the shaft, and may not be an electrical issue at all.

Also keep in mind that this could be engine compartment/manifold heat drafting up the shaft, and may not be an electrical issue at all.
Very much could be true...you could test for this. Turn key on, and whatever else..disconnect your ignition from the coil, maybe a battery charger and let the car sit for an hour.....see if the column heats up....good one @TrailBeast !

Very much could be true...you could test for this. Turn key on, and whatever else..disconnect your ignition from the coil, maybe a battery charger and let the car sit for an hour.....see if the column heats up....good one @TrailBeast !

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.:D

Hello. While driving my car , after an hour or so the area of the steering column near the ignition switch gets very hot to touch. Who else has experienced this. BTW the car is totally factory. The highest amp load going thru it is probably the blower motor while this is occurring.

I have 70 340 Dart Swinger with A/C doing the exact same thing. I have replaced the ignition and turn signal switch. My column gets so hot you can dang near fry an egg on it. I also have Hedman headers and the engine bay seems to have more heat and hot air moving around while engine is running. I even have two electric fans blowing and a 18” clutch fan pulling air for engine cooling.

I am beginning to think it is exhaust heat causing my problem. In the future going to go to cremadic coated headers, maybe even thermo wrap and change to a waterless cooling system...

Any thoughts welcome, thanks

My 70 Swinger gets pretty hot as well. I haven't felt the bottom of the column to see if it is transfer heat from the engine compartment. My 66 Dart had a missing firewall grommet and a bad lower column seal, I fixed both and the heat, small, and noise went away. I am not Mr. electrical but I wonder if a relay could be added somewhere to lighten the load on the ign. switch if that is the cause.

My 70 Swinger gets pretty hot as well. I haven't felt the bottom of the column to see if it is transfer heat from the engine compartment. My 66 Dart had a missing firewall grommet and a bad lower column seal, I fixed both and the heat, small, and noise went away. I am not Mr. electrical but I wonder if a relay could be added somewhere to lighten the load on the ign. switch if that is the cause.

This column heating issue for me has been like this since I restored my car over ten years ago. It is not as bad in cooler ambient tempertures. I will keep you in formed. I am going for new headers, themo wrap and a warterless system . As soon as I get my other 70 440 Dart road worthy...

I am beginning to think it is exhaust heat causing my problem. In the future going to go to cremadic coated headers, maybe even thermo wrap and change to a waterless cooling system...Any thoughts welcome, thanks
It doesn't seem like you have an overheating engine, only a hot steering column. If that is the case, then it makes no sense to change to a waterless coolant, like Evans. As to the steering column getting very hot, I have not experienced, nor have I had anyone ever tell me, that headers transmit that kind of heat into a column. If that is the case, it might be cheaper to try a header wrap first. If it works, then look at some ceramic coated ones.

I have 70 340 Dart Swinger with A/C doing the exact same thing. I have replaced the ignition and turn signal switch. My column gets so hot you can dang near fry an egg on it. I also have Hedman headers and the engine bay seems to have more heat and hot air moving around while engine is running. I even have two electric fans blowing and a 18” clutch fan pulling air for engine cooling.

I am beginning to think it is exhaust heat causing my problem. In the future going to go to cremadic coated headers, maybe even thermo wrap and change to a waterless cooling system...

Any thoughts welcome, thanks
It doesn't seem like you have an overheating engine, only a hot steering column. If that is the case, then it makes no sense to change to a waterless coolant, like Evans. As to the steering column getting very hot, I have not experienced, nor have I had anyone ever tell me, that headers transmit that kind of heat into a column. If that is the case, it might be cheaper to try a header wrap first. If it works, then look at some ceramic coated ones.

Actully I do have a heating issue to. Especially in traffic and long traffic lights. So my thought is to eliminate any and all heating problems the best I can. I run a 26” 3 core radiator with shroud. Three fans as stated in earlier post. This has been on going for years I guess I have been lucky so far not to have overheated my engine to failure. I live near Houston, TX and it really Hot this year... Also a factory A/C car that I can’t use.

Gear shift indicator light operates when you pull the light switch, parking lights or headlights.

My 66 Dart had a missing firewall grommet and a bad lower column seal, I fixed both and the heat, small, and noise went away.

A 70 Dart has two dust seals one for the steering shaft and another for shift tube (automatic) either one or both could be missing / damaged.

Actully I do have a heating issue to. Especially in traffic and long traffic lights. So my thought is to eliminate any and all heating problems the best I can. I run a 26” 3 core radiator with shroud. Three fans as stated in earlier post. This has been on going for years I guess I have been lucky so far not to have overheated my engine to failure. I live near Houston, TX and it really Hot this year... Also a factory A/C car that I can’t use.
Man, hope you get it resolved. Hang in there.

-
Back