1970 A833 issue jumping out of 2nd gear

-

E Satterfield

Reaction score
I converted our 72 Duster to manual shift. The Transmission is a 1970 A833 .Before installing I decided to tear down the transmission to inspect it and replace normal wear items such as the bearings/synchro rings and seals as the seller of it had no idea of its condition as he had never had it in a vehicle the gears themselves showed little to No wear. I’ve rebuilt manual transmissions before but this is the first Mopar unit.

I also replaced the keys/struts? in the hubs and also the springs that support them.

The problem I’m having is occasionally when downshifting from 3-2 it wants to jump out of 2nd. Also if one is creeping along in 2nd it will occasionally jump out also.

I believe the linkage for the shifter to be properly adjusted and I’ve adjusted it more than once to confirm. I’ve also noticed that it seems if pressure is held against the shifter in the second gear position it doesn’t seem to do it. The shifter is a rebuilt 71- B body Hurst pistol grip.
Any ideas?? Thanks Eric

I converted our 72 Duster to manual shift. The Transmission is a 1970 A833 .Before installing I decided to tear down the transmission to inspect it and replace normal wear items such as the bearings/synchro rings and seals as the seller of it had no idea of its condition as he had never had it in a vehicle the gears themselves showed little to No wear. I’ve rebuilt manual transmissions before but this is the first Mopar unit.

I also replaced the keys/struts? in the hubs and also the springs that support them.

The problem I’m having is occasionally when downshifting from 3-2 it wants to jump out of 2nd. Also if one is creeping along in 2nd it will occasionally jump out also.

I believe the linkage for the shifter to be properly adjusted and I’ve adjusted it more than once to confirm. I’ve also noticed that it seems if pressure is held against the shifter in the second gear position it doesn’t seem to do it. The shifter is a rebuilt 71- B body Hurst pistol grip.
Any ideas?? Thanks Eric
Bent shifter fork?

I had a 4th gear when decelerating would walk out of gear on a trans I had refreshed along with a new 4th gear. The fix was to replace the whole 3rd 4th synchro hub assembley it had some interior wear I didn't see.

Pretty much the same problem with my Dart, same transmission and year. Did a tear down for inspection and found nothing worn replaced the seals and gaskets regardless. Used a drill blank in the shifter fork hole to adjust the shifter linkage, just did not feel right. I had to manually move the 1st and 2nd transmission lever on the trans and then bring my linkage up to the lever and adjust to find the sweet spot for the arm to slid in centered in the lever hole. After adjusting it this way, the transmission shifted nicely, but again the drill blank would not fit into the alignment hole. Go figure.

Shifter in neutral, with drill blank in line up hole. All transmission Shift arms in Neutral. Lengthen or shorten shift rods to perfectly line up with transmission shift arms with linkage rods.

You are not engaging 2nd gear deep enough, so it is riding on the edge of the sincro slider hub and is popping out of gear.

Check for wore out shift forks and replace them with new. Or do the old school fix and build them up with brass and re-machine them back into spec.

Quench shift forks in oil after brazing them to retain hardness.

Thanks everyone for your input it’s greatly appreciated! Yesterday I adjusted the shifter again giving it approximately an extra turn to turn in one half of rod engagement to the second gear position.

We just returned from from a road test. 2nd gear hard acceleration 5500 RPM shift into 3rd no issues. But my hand is obviously somewhat holding the shifter in position.

It’s a mile from the main highway to my farm up a very narrow un-even tar and chip road. So 2nd gear all the way to the house. If I rest my hand on the handle holding back No issues. Let the shifter rest in the gear position without my hand and within the first 100-200 yards of the way it will jump out.

With this info are you all inclined to go with the shifter fork or synchro hub issues?

Thanks again. Eric.

Screenshot_20220624-185035_Firefox.jpg

Screenshot_20220624-185032_Firefox.jpg

I used to re-build transmissions for a living back in the 70s/80s. I have NEVER seen this problem, (outside of a neutral-gate adjustment) that could not be traced to one these things;
1) lack of proper or sufficient detenting or
2) clutch teeth worn off at an angle.
3) a long, heavy, shifter not centered over the shift mechanism.

> Once this starts it will never go away and just progressively get worse. But no matter how bad it gets, I have always been able to repair the parts as necessary.
Furthermore;
>That Pistol-Grip is not helping. The heavy handle puts pressure on the detent spring, just begging it to jump out; you may have to increase the spring pressure.
The later style (71-Up) sidecover has a better system to deal with that.
>If it still jumps out of gear, with the 71-up cover; the trans will have to come out, come apart, the clutch teeth back-cut, and the slider cleaned up.
I have successfully done this dozens and dozens of time on A833s and hundreds of times in General.
I have not replaced gears or sliders on my own transmissions for about 50 years; or thereabouts; I just keep repairing them; NO, not the same trans lol.
If you do take it apart, and you have the late-style sliders, I recommend to double up the strut springs, if you have spares..

Last edited:
-
Back