1970 Dart Filler Neck Replacement/Restoration? Need Help

-

Road Grabber

Reaction score
I have a 70 340 Dart Swinger that will need a reconditioned, replacement reproduction gas tank filler neck.

I can't locate one without the emissions system. Does anyone know where I can find one or have a solution? The tank, lines and motor are new. I don't want to risk using a corroded filler neck and contaminate the fuel. You can't get up in there to clean it properly.....

Thank you in advance

Here's what I do:
Find a tin can, plastic bottle, etc. that closely fits the tank end of the filler tube. Put it on the filler tube, and tightly duct tape it on there with multiple layers (also cap or plug any vent fittings). Then fill the tube all the way up with Evaporust or white vinegar ($1.25/gallon at the dollar store). Put the fuel cap on, stand it in the corner and let it sit a couple of days. Then drain it and thoroughly rinse it out. I don't care how crusty it used to be, it will look like new inside now. Install and enjoy.

Last edited:
Here's what I do:
Find a tin can, plastic bottle, etc. that closely fits the tank end of the filler tube. Put it on the filler tube, and tightly duct tape it on there with multiple layers (also cap or plug any vent fittings). Then fill the tube all the way up with Evaporust or white vinegar ($1.25/gallon at the dollar store). Put the fuel cap on, stand it in the corner and let it sit a couple of days. Then drain it and thoroughly rinse it out. I don't care how crusty it used to be, it will look like new inside now. Install and enjoy.

I will look into that for sure. My tube needs a good cleaning but is not rusted through.

Would you recoat? Paint? Wouldn’t the inside begin to rust again?

Thank you for sharing.

I wouldn't coat or paint it with anything- it's going to be constantly exposed to fuel, any degradation of a coating would cause as many issues as the rust would have. I leave them bare- as long as it's being used regularly, there should be no appreciable corrosion. Inside the tank and filler, it's all fuel and fuel vapor; minimal airborne water vapor to rust things up. Issues happen when the tank is empty for overly long periods of time and becomes exposed to moisture.

try posting a want ad here if you haven't. The one you are looking for has a small vent tube with some tight bends at the top and attaches to a nipple near the gas cap end of the filler tube, correct? I think that it was only used on 1970 Darts without CA emissions stuff... Weird thing is the vent tube goes through the filler tube seal on te trunk floor and then just vents into the rear frame... but you HAVE to HAVE that vent to allow air to replace the gas leaving the tank.

-
Back