1970 Dodge Dart - Got the passenger fender off, looks pretty good!

-

dbittle

Reaction score
I have a 1970 Dart that has been in the family since it was new. It got handed down to me when I was 16, which might have been some time ago. I drove it daily from the 1980's until about 2012, when it just got too dilapidated and I had to quit driving it. It has sat in the same place for the last 10 years, until my youngest daughter asked for it for her birthday. She's too young to drive, so I have a couple of years to get it ready.

I have my work cut out for me!

The first task is to get it able to roll. The rear tires would still hold air, but the fronts have gone flat and were off the bead. The tire shop reinflated the first one for me and I will take them the other one tomorrow. Once that happens, I will be able to pull it up to the garage and see what will be required to get it to run again. It would run when I had to park it a decade ago, so I'm crossing my fingers that a few weeks of fuel system cleaning and carburetor rebuilding will allow it to crank up.

Anyway, here are a couple of pictures I took of it this afternoon.

3AC47CE8-0E43-4067-8594-0788673B3A29.jpeg
CEA88ABF-AB92-4C3E-BA61-099B5C278CD5.jpeg

Looks like a great start. A couple of years it should be in prime shape. Get after it and don't forget to keep us up to date ;)

Thanks! I'm planning to update the thread as I go through the build. I haven't opened the hood in a couple of years; I know there are a couple of wasp nests in there that I will have to spray when I do. I will put the front drivers wheel back on tomorrow after work and open the hood then to take a picture. The engine is the original 318 with a four barrel top and ancient long tube headers. Man I had a ton of fun in that car back in the day! Its a wonder I'm still alive, honestly.

Here are a couple of pictures of the engine bay. I've never seen so many dirt dobber nests in my life. There were about 6 wasp nests in there as well. I managed to get the hood up without being stung, so that's a plus!

4B0B9CD3-CF73-427C-AF92-26E8CC74F040.jpeg

FD838F03-AA80-4C71-90E3-FF56E149E459.jpeg

A179B7D7-A640-4D92-BAD2-96C1FCDE703A.jpeg

Here are a couple of pictures of the engine bay. I've never seen so many dirt dobber nests in my life. There were about 6 wasp nests in there as well. I managed to get the hood up without being stung, so that's a plus!

View attachment 1715957787

View attachment 1715957788

View attachment 1715957789
Looks like a great father daughter project. Plan on doing a little bit every day even if it only means staring at it and doing some day dreaming. You'll be up and running in no time. My daughter's Scamp turned into my Scamp and she's 41 now. Don't let the years get away from ya. Lol

Perfect project for the family!!! I would pull out the interior, gas tank, put it on a trailer, and head to the car wash, hit it hard in and out, top and bottom!!!

Perfect project for the family!!! I would pull out the interior, gas tank, put it on a trailer, and head to the car wash, hit it hard in and out, top and bottom!!!
That's pretty much what I intend to do. The dirt dobber nests don't bother me much; the wasps are a lot more aggressive. I killed all of them that I could find, but there might be another few hiding in there somewhere.

E9AE584E-9B51-472D-82AF-35B840C9EB5A.jpeg
Made a little bit more progress tonight. The passenger side drip rail is off. I used a paint stirrer and a small hammer to tap it off bit by bit the way the youtube guy recommended. It took about half an hour to get it, but it came off without damage.

I will be following this also
I'm in the process of restoring my 70 dart
If your dart was sitting in the yard for 10+ years, the first priority would be to examine the Brake System and Gas lines, especially under the car. Condensation can weaken/corrode the lines.
You don't want to have a leak in either system.
Good luck with your build

best wishes for success with your project! I too have a 1970 Dart Custom that my Dad bought new and I bought it from him in 1975. These cars are pretty rare, high trim level, 2 door hardtops. They were the base for the 1970 Dart GT. A few tips for your project: Layson's restorations is the only source for the one year only Custom emblems on the quarters, the entire interior upholstery is available from Legendary Interiors - seat covers and door panels. They used the originals off my car as templates. Let me know if I can help in finding Dart Custom specific parts

LH Custom interior.JPG
LH Custom panel.JPG
IMG_1153.JPG
IMG_1154.JPG
DSC00061.JPG
DSC00454.JPG

best wishes for success with your project! I too have a 1970 Dart Custom that my Dad bought new and I bought it from him in 1975. These cars are pretty rare, high trim level, 2 door hardtops. They were the base for the 1970 Dart GT. A few tips for your project: Layson's restorations is the only source for the one year only Custom emblems on the quarters, the entire interior upholstery is available from Legendary Interiors - seat covers and door panels. They used the originals off my car as templates. Let me know if I can help in finding Dart Custom specific parts

View attachment 1715960229 View attachment 1715960230 View attachment 1715960231 View attachment 1715960235 View attachment 1715960233 View attachment 1715960234
Really like that interior in green. Do you know if they make it in other colors? Thanks, Steve

View attachment 1715958779 Made a little bit more progress tonight. The passenger side drip rail is off. I used a paint stirrer and a small hammer to tap it off bit by bit the way the youtube guy recommended. It took about half an hour to get it, but it came off without damage.
I'm sure you already know this, but I want to tell you anyway. Bag and tag EVERYTHING you take off the car! buy several boxes of multiple sizes of zip lock bags and some markers. You won't regret it.

Really like that interior in green. Do you know if they make it in other colors? Thanks, Steve
Available in all the factory colors - light metallic blue/dark blue, light metallic brown/dark brown, light metallic green/dark green and black/black. I'm currently building a plum crazy 70 Dart GT (factory bucket seat-console car) and the first three wouldn't fit with purple, and I didn't want all black in a car we are building for long distance road trips, so I ordered up a set in light metallic silver/black with matching silver door panels (25% extra for any custom color combo that you want). It's not installed yet but this should give you an idea:
New seats 1.jpg

Installed!

DSC04496.JPG

new seats 2.jpg

Last edited:
Available in all the factory colors - light metallic blue/dark blue, light metallic brown/dark brown, light metallic green/dark green and black/black. I'm currently building a plum crazy 70 Dart GT (factory bucket seat-console car) and the first three wouldn't fit with purple, and I didn't want all black in a car we are building for long distance road trips, so I ordered up a set in light metallic silver/black with matching silver door panels (25% extra for any custom color combo that you want). It's not installed yet but this should give you an idea:
View attachment 1715961184 View attachment 1715961185
Sorry, I can't stop drooling over that look, that style. That color combo, the black and silver, you chose is a real knockout too! Thanks for sharing.:)

View attachment 1715960229 View attachment 1715960230 View attachment 1715960231 View attachment 1715960235 View attachment 1715960233 View attachment 1715960234
That is the most beautiful example of the interior I have ever seen. I have the same green interior in mine, but it is totally shot. Yours looks like mine looked way back in the day. My original exterior was the Citron Mist, by the way, so it went pretty well with the green. Man that interior is nice!

865DB02E-F053-494A-B083-AF311DF2A966.jpeg
Last night I was successful, after a fight, in getting the windshield trim ring removed. I had purchased the tool and watched a few youtube videos showing how to do it. Tonight I hope to tackle the rear window trim.

Last edited:
Awesome!! At least you've got a super solid car to start with. Shes gonna be the coolest kid in school!
Thank heavens for no road salt in Alabama! The only rust perforation I've found so far is in the battery tray. The trunk floor looks good and the floorpans at least don't have any holes in them.

-
Back