-

Robert Dart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
1970 Dodge Dart Swinger
318 w/3 speed manual
Factory a/c
Question about heater/a-c controls. I understand they work off of engine vacuum. I have (3) vacuum lines from heater/a-c box. Per my manual (1) vacuum line goes to engine vacuum(manifold). The other (2) go to Water Valve Assy. See Photo.
I am eliminating my a/c system. Can I bypass the Water Valve Assy. and use only (1) vacuum line to manifold to provide vacuum to controls?
Thanks,
Robert
20210920_193519.jpg

I think if you want the old AC controls to regulate the heat for heater and defrost, you need to keep the vacuum line to the heater control valve on the inner fender panel, and retain the vacuum line that controls the opening and closing of doors in the box. I dumped my AC in my 1970 Dart in 1976 and have been using the vacuum controls ever since, even after I gutted the AC part of the box in 1998. The controls work fine for heater and defrost this way, but ALL the vacuum lines are still in place.

Great. Many thanks. So, you removed the part of the heater box that contains the evaporator?
Thanks, Robert

I took the evaporator out of the box so I could close the holes in the firewall with factory looking plastic capplugs

-
Back