1970 Dodge Dart Problems

-

PikaPhantom

Reaction score
So took out the cluster to inspect the gauges. There was a positive and negative charged wire on the alternator gauge. While i was sifting through things one of them sparked. I tried to put everything back together and now nothing is working. No lights, nothing on the dash, and car won't start. Can i fix it? or is my car a goner?
img_2227-1-jpg.1715021102.jpg

Also upon further inspection of that picture, it looks like the red charge wire isn't tight.

If you haven't already:

1. Disconnect negative battery
2. Tighten down the two nuts circled in red
3. See if it will start or light up the dash, etc.
4. If not, check fusible link.

I am thinking the spark was probably the red wire hitting something metal.

img_2227-1-jpg.1715021102.jpg

See the red wire where it goes into the bulkhead connector that's been patched?
Follow it from that connector over towards the relay and you'll probably find it.
Sometimes they have a little rubber tab on them that say "Fusible link" and that section of wire needs to be replaced.
A lot of people replace it with the fusible link replacement, and some with a fuse or circuit breaker.

SskeQ.jpg

Also upon further inspection of that picture, it looks like the red charge wire isn't tight.

If you haven't already:

1. Disconnect negative battery
2. Tighten down the two nuts circled in red
3. See if it will start or light up the dash, etc.
4. If not, check fusible link.

I am thinking the spark was probably the red wire hitting something metal.

View attachment 1715022995
That picture was before i put it back together. Both nuts are tightened so i am looking into the fusible.
thanks!

See the red wire where it goes into the bulkhead connector that's been patched?
Follow it from that connector over towards the relay and you'll probably find it.
Sometimes they have a little rubber tab on them that say "Fusible link" and that section of wire needs to be replaced.
A lot of people replace it with the fusible link replacement, and some with a fuse or circuit breaker.

View attachment 1715023011
This helps a lot. thank you!

-
Back