1970 Duster brakes

-

Dblboinger

Reaction score
Have a 1970 Duster 340 with 5x4" rotors on front. Wondering if I can go to 5x4.5" by changing the rotors and if there is any reason I would not want to do this. Any info
appreciated.

The Kelsey-Hayes Disk Brake Swap Thread

Without going deep into detail, it is a good idea to go 4.5 bp. (unless you WANT to keep your old wheels). All the article info is pertinent with the exception of keeping the small (4" bp).. there are many many options.

Last edited:
Problem will be 4" Bolt pattern in the rear and 4.5" up front. Need 2 different spare sizes for the rims. You have to change rear axles to get 4.5 all around.

The Kelsey-Hayes Disk Brake Swap Thread

Without going deep into detail, it is a good idea to go 4.5 bp. (unless you WANT to keep your old wheels). All the article info is pertinent with the exception of keeping the small (4" bp).. there are many many options.

This article is about swapping drums for disc...I already have disc on the front. What I'm looking for is info on if swapping to 5x4.5 is as simple as replacing the rotors and bearings or if more is involved.

Perhaps I should clarify a bit. My car is a 1970 Duster 340. Just starting a ground up restoration. Has 5x4" on front with disc brakes, 5x4" on rear with drums. Has '76 overdrive transmission. I'm interested is going to 5x4.5" front/rear so I can run 15" rims. Trying to determine if this is economically feasible and what rear end gears to run with the overdrive and 15" rims. New to the Mopar world, so my knowledge is minimal on issues such as this.

This article is about swapping drums for disc...I already have disc on the front. What I'm looking for is info on if swapping to 5x4.5 is as simple as replacing the rotors and bearings or if more is involved.
IIRC it is possible to do a simple swap out. This might help Wilwood Disc Brakes - Search Wilwood Brake Kits both of these kits are 5x4 or 5x4.5 (dual bolt pattern hubs)

Perhaps I should clarify a bit. My car is a 1970 Duster 340. Just starting a ground up restoration. Has 5x4" on front with disc brakes, 5x4" on rear with drums. Has '76 overdrive transmission. I'm interested is going to 5x4.5" front/rear so I can run 15" rims. Trying to determine if this is economically feasible and what rear end gears to run with the overdrive and 15" rims. New to the Mopar world, so my knowledge is minimal on issues such as this.
oh, economics :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

You can buy 15” SBP wheels, but choices are limited. I’m planning on running 15” rallies, so no big deal to me.

The best way to 4.5 bolt pattern in the rear is to change rear axle to the 4.5 bolt pattern. The front disc can change to the 4.5 bolt pattern, I have a 74 Duster with front disc with stock 4.5 bolt pattern, but I don't know if your front spindle shaft would use same size bearings as the small bolt pattern disc you have now. Maybe Dr. Diff could answer that cause he could supply rear big bolt pattern axles. The rear axles are approx. $400 with shipping and any extras.

-
Back