1970 Duster exhaust

-

Bills70

Reaction score
I am putting my TTI headers in my car and want to know what size exhaust pipes I should use. it looks like TTI has 2 1/2" or 3" system with "H" or "X" pattern? it is probably is a matter of choice, but, maybe some one already knows which one has a better sound and performance?

Please let us know alitle more about the engine and the intended usage,and what kind of sound you prefer.

Please let us know alitle more about the engine and the intended usage,and what kind of sound you prefer.
the LA 360 engine dynoed 435 hp. at 5800 rpm. and 450 TQ. it has a comp extreme energy hyd. roller cam xr286hr-10. it will be mainly driven on the street but will also see the drag strip! I also intend to install some Doug's electric cut out and complete TTI exhaust system. I like a nice rumble to my exhaust but not so loud that I can not hear my radio, if I want to play it.

DSC00168.JPG

2½" with straight thru mufflers will be big enough to not be a restriction at your powerlevel, 3"will give you a deeper tone and will be alitle louder and will give you alot more room for more power if you end up building a hotter engine in the future since 2½" with good mufflers are generaly good up to about 450Hp,personaly i prefer the sound of a H-pipe but that up to you what you prefer:)

Bigger risk with bigger pipes for ending up with alot of drone in the car at certain rpms thats why i like to stay alitle on the conservative side,the bigger pipes does have more rumble to them so to speak.

2½" with straight thru mufflers will be big enough to not be a restriction at your powerlevel, 3"will give you a deeper tone and will be alitle louder and will give you alot more room for more power if you end up building a hotter engine in the future since 2½" with good mufflers are generaly good up to about 450Hp,personaly i prefer the sound of a H-pipe but that up to you what you prefer:)

Bigger risk with bigger pipes for ending up with alot of drone in the car at certain rpms thats why i like to stay alitle on the conservative side,the bigger pipes does have more rumble to them so to speak.
can you explain the difference between x pipe and h pipe sound or are the any videos out there? Looks I will go with the 2 1/2", I doubt I will ever go for any more HP (lack of funds)

can you explain the difference between x pipe and h pipe sound or are the any videos out there? Looks I will go with the 2 1/2", I doubt I will ever go for any more HP (lack of funds)

X-pipe tends to have a higher pitched sound so to speek,creating more of a smoother sportscar sound. there is plenty of videos on Youtube with comparisons,and i believe there is a thread on this site aswell with a bunch of soundclips,keep in mind that the same exhaust system can sound different on different cars with different enginecombos and some of the drone problems can difer on the same exhaust depending on enginecomvo/trans/gear/tiresizecombo.

I worked for over 10years with exhaustsystems and i never got anywhere near learning everything about the subject but i did learn that being alitle conservative tended to give a whole lot less trouble with cars ending up being to loud on longer trips.

I made a cd of muffler sounds and we have 50 tracks on it that let folks hear h and x pipe sounds. It’s pretty sweet.
Plus we supplied all the specs on muffler sound levels and flow values. The charts are commonly shown and I think one is even up on this site right now.
Tom Hand

I made a cd of muffler sounds and we have 50 tracks on it that let folks hear h and x pipe sounds. It’s pretty sweet.
Plus we supplied all the specs on muffler sound levels and flow values. The charts are commonly shown and I think one is even up on this site right now.
Tom Hand
where do I look at on this site for this?

-
Back