1970 Duster front disc?

-

Bills70

Reaction score
when I bought my 1970 Duster it came with these front disc brakes on it! But I do not know what they are off of, So can anyone tell me what they are off of? I am pretty sure that 1970 Dusters did not come with disc brakes and they do have a Chrysler emblem on them and some numbers in the picture.

DSC00099.JPG

DSC00098.JPG

DSC00097.JPG

DSC00096.JPG

DSC00095.JPG

Big bolt pattern? I believe the 73 (or 74) and newer had big bolt and single piston calipers.

Yup, those are 73+ big bolt pattern brakes.

There is a difference in the calipers, the '73-75 A-body calipers had a piston bore of 2.6", the other models (B/E, FMJ, etc) and the '76 A-bodies had a piston bore of 2.75". They use the same caliper brackets and brake pads though, the calipers even look the same externally. You have to put them side by side to see the difference in the caliper bodies.

Also, you could get a '70 Duster with factory disk brakes. They would have been the small bolt pattern, 4 piston caliper Kelsey Hayes set up.

Yup, those are 73+ big bolt pattern brakes.

There is a difference in the calipers, the '73-75 A-body calipers had a piston bore of 2.6", the other models (B/E, FMJ, etc) and the '76 A-bodies had a piston bore of 2.75". They use the same caliper brackets and brake pads though, the calipers even look the same externally. You have to put them side by side to see the difference in the caliper bodies.

Also, you could get a '70 Duster with factory disk brakes. They would have been the small bolt pattern, 4 piston caliper Kelsey Hayes set up.
these have the large bolt pattern and if they all used the same caliper and pads I do not have anything to worry about. Thanks for info!

Discs were standard on 1970 Duster 340, but there was also a 'credit option', if selected you could pay less & get drums.

They were an extra cost option on all other 1970 Valiants & Dusters.

Discs were standard on 1970 Duster 340, but there was also a 'credit option', if selected you could pay less & get drums.

They were an extra cost option on all other 1970 Valiants & Dusters.
they did not have the large bolt pattern, did they?

get the 2.75" piston callipers if possible.I think that outside increase of 1/8 inch
adds a full 25% in piston area and clamping pressure.

ok! mine must be 73 & up then!

Yours are definitely 73+, those are single piston calipers. The small bolt pattern Kelsey-Hayes disk set up looks completely different.

The only question about yours is whether they’re 2.6” or 2.75” piston calipers, because those are kinda hard to tell apart unless you actually measure them.

-
Back