1970 duster heater box

-

Bills70

Reaction score
I bought this heater vent hose kit for my 1970 duster, which came with no instructions! It seems to me, that after I put the two rubber spacers on the vent tube necks, there appears to be, not enough room now, to install the hose's and clamp's. I was wondering if any one else has ran in to this same problem and how they corrected it? Did I buy the wrong kit or just installing it together wrong?

DSC00068.JPG

DSC00069.JPG

DSC00070.JPG

Odd how one looks thicker? Where did this kit come from? Vendor? Part#?

Try using the thinner bushing on the bottom tube and non on the top. They never had clamps from the factory just inside clips.

Try using the thinner bushing on the bottom tube and non on the top. They never had clamps from the factory just inside clips.
I have a picture from my service manual with camps on the top so I just figured they used them on the bottom also! what do the clips look like and do they still sell them? are those clips slid onto the end of hose and then just pushed onto heater box?

They are clipped onto the heater box and there is a barb that holds the hose from sliding off. They are also on the defroster vents. I never saw a clamp on any hoses I took off and I removed quite a few.

They are clipped onto the heater box and there is a barb that holds the hose from sliding off. They are also on the defroster vents. I never saw a clamp on any hoses I took off and I removed quite a few.
I got them on! I put the hose's on the rubber bushings first and then used some RU-GLYDE to help slide them on and then put some zip ties to help hold in place. here is the picture of clamps in service manual section 24-3! I would not know how they were held on, I did not take this car apart or have I ever worked on a Duster before. but always appreciate any help I can get to get this car back together! If I do not find any clips I guess I will just use some zip ties up top also and if that does not hold them, maybe some super glue or Gorilla glue will work!

DSC00071.JPG

DSC00072.JPG

Odd how one looks thicker? Where did this kit come from? Vendor? Part#?
they came from Classic Ind. part#MD113! They are different sizes because the holes in the heater box are different sizes, you can see that in pic were the bushing are off box and laying on plywood and where they are on box! the hose's are the same size so they had to make two different size bushing!

can you tell me what these black metal clips on cables are used for?

DSC00073.JPG

they came from Classic Ind. part#MD113! They are different sizes because the holes in the heater box are different sizes, you can see that in pic were the bushing are off box and laying on plywood and where they are on box! the hose's are the same size so they had to make two different size bushing!

Been working on these cars for a long time and never saw clamps/zip ties used. There are little clips that slide onto the edge of the tube you slide the hose on. Sort of like a U-clip. There is a barb on the outside that hold the hose from sliding off. Two per hose end. This barb is usually the cause of destroying the paper hoses when removing them. Unless you know they are there. And even if you know about them they still rip the hose

The Zip ties are a clever idea and I will keep this in mind. This site is great for learning new ideas.

The clips can destroy a original paper hose and I don't have a bunch of hoses left. A/C cars some of the hoses have a built in clamp and the hoses are very soft and durable.

I have a container of the clips if needed if your hoses won't stay on the defrost tubes. But the hoses must fit perfect. If they are a really loose fit the barbs may not grab the hose.

Same hose kit comes from DMT and other vendors. In a perfect world the thick wall adapter would be formed of hard plastic or something that could have a clearance flat cut in it. As it is we do what we must to make it work. I didn't use the thin wall adapter. I might have inverted a bit of that hose inside its self ( I forget ). My zip ties are laced one under the other. The hoses aren't going anywhere.

That slips over the post on the heater control lever. there are other clips that hold the cable sheath to the controller
so what you are saying is that the round hole on the very end of cable wire does not go on the arm, but the clip does? there is a metal clip on all three of my cables
Been working on these cars for a long time and never saw clamps/zip ties used. There are little clips that slide onto the edge of the tube you slide the hose on. Sort of like a U-clip. There is a barb on the outside that hold the hose from sliding off. Two per hose end. This barb is usually the cause of destroying the paper hoses when removing them. Unless you know they are there. And even if you know about them they still rip the hose

The Zip ties are a clever idea and I will keep this in mind. This site is great for learning new ideas.

The clips can destroy a original paper hose and I don't have a bunch of hoses left. A/C cars some of the hoses have a built in clamp and the hoses are very soft and durable.

I have a container of the clips if needed if your hoses won't stay on the defrost tubes. But the hoses must fit perfect. If they are a really loose fit the barbs may not grab the hose.
here is some pics of my controls (not much room) how many clips will I need to use on dash vents and how much do you want for them?

DSC00078.JPG

DSC00079.JPG

DSC00080.JPG

DSC00074.JPG

DSC00075.JPG

DSC00076.JPG

DSC00077.JPG

-
Back