1970 Duster

-

Bills70

Reaction score
I bought this car and have been putting it back together piece buy piece and it is my first Duster (Mopar) and my question is are these motor mount adapter for 6 cylinder to small block V8? if so do I use the stock motor mount with them and if so won't that raise my engine up in the engine bay? will that cause me any problems with tranny install and stock shift linkage? also if they go onto stock motor mounts, should I put them on engine first? and a few more question for now is it easyer to pull K frame to install motor or just drop motor in from top and should I put tranny on first? I will more than likely be doing this by my self!

DSC00090.JPG

not sure what they are, was your car a slant 6 to begin with?

from the factory, the mounted the trans to the engine, engine to the K frame and dropped the car over top

ive only dropped the engine in from the top, but thats the only way i know how to do it, most guys who have done it, swear by doing it the factory way

and i would put the mounts on the engine first

/6 K member converted for a V8 SB motor, V8 motor just bolts up to those.

not sure what they are, was your car a slant 6 to begin with?

from the factory, the mounted the trans to the engine, engine to the K frame and dropped the car over top

ive only dropped the engine in from the top, but thats the only way i know how to do it, most guys who have done it, swear by doing it the factory way

and i would put the mounts on the engine first
Yes it was originally a 6 cyl. car and the mounts came with it along with a 360 and a 727 trans. I can not get any info from the guy I bought it from because he passed away a couple months ago (way to young, 55) and the guy he bought it from also passed away but not sure when. I believe that every thing I got had been in the car before but not really sure. Did you put motor in first then put tranny on?

most guys usually drop the motor and transmission in at the same time, but you can put the motor in first and then put the tranmission in, but if you put the motor in first you will have to support it ( block of wood under the oil pan should do it with a jack holding it up) to hold the motor up so it is level so you can mate the transmission to it. The motor will want to lean back if you put the motor in first and don't support it.

/6 K member converted for a V8 SB motor, V8 motor just bolts up to those.
now that that you made me look at it better I see that that rubber mounts are below those mounts, thanks, do you know buy looking at the picture if they are in correct position or do I have to switch them? I feel kind of stupid for not noticing that to begin with.

DSC00091.JPG

looks like home made conversion mounts then

i think thats whats in my duster, ill run down and check later

whatever way you decide to get the drivetrain in, mate then transmission to the engine first
(but if your going through the top, i would pull the hood of and lift the entire car on jackstands, about a foot off the ground

now that that you made me look at it better I see that that rubber mounts are below those mounts, thanks, do you know buy looking at the picture if they are in correct position or do I have to switch them? I feel kind of stupid for not noticing that to begin with.

View attachment 1715153488

that is the way they go

those mounts are from a company named Schumacher '67-72 A-Body S6 to 273/318 or 340/360 Conversion Kit

A67LA6.jpg

put the mounts including the rubber isolators on the motor, then drop the motor in the K member, put the bolts on and your done

looks like home made conversion mounts then

i think thats whats in my duster, ill run down and check later

whatever way you decide to get the drivetrain in, mate then transmission to the engine first
(but if your going through the top, i would pull the hood of and lift the entire car on jackstands, about a foot off the ground
Ok! I will put them together but can't I just do it on my two post lift or would it be "easyer" on jack stands? I bought this tool to help put the engine/tranny combo in car! her is a picture of engine also, it dynoed at 435.9 HP at 5800 rpm and had 450 TQ.

DSC00092.JPG

DSC04605.JPG

DSC04608.JPG

your two post lift will work great. Sweet motor. I would suggest you place the headers in the engine bay first and then drop the motor in, the drivers side header is a ***** to get in if you have the motor installed first, the passenger side is now problem. Just my 2 cents worth.

I didn't mention the lift as an option because, well, most of us don t have that option

The point is, the engine will need to tilt back quits car to get the transmission in the tunnel, and the oil pan over the radiator support
To keep the tailshaft from digging into the ground, the car needs to be up...wich your lift will do just fine

your two post lift will work great. Sweet motor. I would suggest you place the headers in the engine bay first and then drop the motor in, the drivers side header is a ***** to get in if you have the motor installed first, the passenger side is now problem. Just my 2 cents worth.
these are TTI headers and they have a removable tube on drivers side to clear bar, won't they just install from underneath car? but, if I have to lay them in engine bay first, I guess I will have to put some blanket down to keep from scratching paint.

I didn't mention the lift as an option because, well, most of us don t have that option

The point is, the engine will need to tilt back quits car to get the transmission in the tunnel, and the oil pan over the radiator support
To keep the tailshaft from digging into the ground, the car needs to be up...wich your lift will do just fine
OK! engine and trans combo be a lot longer than Chevy! "about the lift" it took me 62 yrs to get one!

100_0914.JPG

Or, take the K member of, bolt the engine in, bolt the headers on and drop the body down...specially if you have a 2 post lift, this sounds like the easiest way

Or, take the K member of, bolt the engine in, bolt the headers on and drop the body down...specially if you have a 2 post lift, this sounds like the easiest way
I have never done that before! are there any instruction out there on how to do it that way? I will check out youtube!

i never have before, but ive been told its four bolts and it drops right out
it would be more effort to pull the hood of

im sure someone who's done it that way will chime in soon...i think @rumblefish360 does it that way

if you take the k member off you have to disassemble the upper A arms from the car or disconnect the upper ball joint to the spindles, you have to remove the T bars and disconnect the steering column.

if you take the k member off you have to disassemble the upper A arms from the car or disconnect the upper ball joint to the spindles, you have to remove the T bars and disconnect the steering column.
I think I will try and drop engine and trans at same time. I watched youtube video and it looked pretty easy, they were pulling engine and trans together but it should go in just as easy as it came out. Thanks for reply. Bill

those mounts look like the trans dapt conversion mount i used on jamies car. slant to small block...

here you can just make them out in this pic...

dart mounts #1.JPG

**** o don't remember.. think maybe they were Teflon locking nuts. sure there was a flat washer too..

-
Back