1970 upper ball joint socket

-

V8 Sam

Reaction score
Anyone able to tell me what the 1970 dodge dart ball joint socket size is?

For the screw in type upper ball joint

Thanks

Last edited:
It is NOT 1 59/64 (it's smaller). Mine measure 1.825 from flat side to flat side. There is no specific size indicated, just a manufacturers part number.

Mancini Racing tool.
IMG_20230319_145046603~2.jpg

Old stock TRW.
IMG_20230319_144854255.jpg

Old stock Moog.
IMG_20230319_144529438~2.jpg

As you can see there's only 2-3 hundredths clearance. I got the socket as part of a set from Mancini Racing years ago. It was a lot cheaper per tool to buy the set, and I've since come out ahead over buying them separately. I've never used this socket, but I have used the larger B-Body one. It was perfect. It looks to be machined from a billet. I'm not sure how well it will fit the later style ball joints that have the sheet metal bubble where the zerk fitting screws in. Probably good enough to screw in a new one, but on an old, stuck one you might need to hammer the bubble in. Or cut it off.

It appears the kit is out of stock, but the socket is available. For the price, you can see why I bought the set.
Front Suspension Tools

The correct size for the small upper Mopar ball joint socket is 1 29/32.

Chrysler parts catalog shows Valiant and Dart part number #3514974 for upper ball joint . Have a new original Chrysler ball joint which measures 1.77 inches, same as S'cuders measurements. All of these sockets perfectly fit this ball joint.
Miller 3714
Snap on S6302
Mac SC-52
Proto 6549
All can be found on eBay.
To simplify the catalog listings of the above sockets, the manufactures round off the sizes to 1.750 or 1 3/4. Actual measurements are 1.78-1.80.

Last edited:
Chrysler parts catalog shows Valiant and Dart part number #3514974 for upper ball joint . Have a new original Chrysler ball joint which measures 1.77 inches, same as S'cuders measurements. All of these sockets perfectly fit this ball joint.
Miller 3714
Snap on S6302
Mac SC-52
Proto 6549
All can be found on eBay.
To simplify the catalog listings of the above sockets, the manufactures round off the sizes to 1.750 or 1 3/4. Actual measurements are 1.78-1.80.
Great detail, Much appreciated.

I was leaning toward changing my upper control arms to later model but upon asking Cass at Dr. Diff when they may be back in stock, he said that due to quality control problems, he won't stock them again until someone else starts making them. That makes me a bit nervous about getting any repops for now so I need to find a socket.

I seem to recall someone getting a certain size 3/4 drive, 12 point socket. Shaving 4 points out of it, and using it as the Small upper ball joint socket.

-
Back