1971 Dodge Dart 318/904 trans ***CAMSHAFT OPTIONS***

-

Rob38e

Reaction score
Hello I'm new to the forum and in the process of swapping my cam, would like some input on "Camshaft" options. Below is a short manifest of current vehicle modifications. Any input or insight would be greatly appreciated. This is my weekend car and simply looking for a bit of performance and sound enhancement that usually come with upgrades. Preferably a mild Cam!

* Edelbrock performance 600CFM 4 barrel.
* Edelbrock performance 318/360 manifold.
* Edelbrock Elite Air cleaner, 14" round.
* Doug Headers
* Dual exhaust w/x pipe and Flowmaster: 40series.
* Front tires 215/45/17 Rear 235/45/17
* Heads and springs dead stock.
* Automatic 904 transmission.

I'm sure this is a familiar or repetitive discussion, but I figured someone might be able to shed some light with the information provided.

Last edited:
Gear ratio? If you don't know it specifically, can you give us maybe an RPM @ 60 MPH?

keep duration between 216 - 224 @ 50. Lift between .440 - .470. Lots of manufactures....

Comp 265DEH. Whatever cam you choose, you need to use the matching springs.

I have the Lunati hydraulic flat tappet 10200701 in my 318. I wish that I had gone with the 10200703. (use the recommended springs)
my gearing is 4.10 though. Tire diameter is approximately 27"
2400 rpm stall converter
Eddy Performer intake, and a Summit 600 cfm carb
Heads are the original 675 heads, untouched. The exhaust valves are probably sunk.
Original exhaust manifolds and stock single pipe exhaust.

• Small Block Chrysler 318-360ci
  • Lift: .420''/.420''
  • Duration @ .050: 204°/204°
  • Advertised Duration: 270°/270°
  • Idle-5500 RPM Range
  • Any thoughts on these specs and would I have to upgrade springs, lifter or timing chain??? By Edelbrock and price is fairly parallel to other brands.

I thought you wanted it to have a noticeable idle.

Is this to subtle? searched the part you noted, but appears to be for Oldsmobile/Ford. Don't think it compatible or?

I would hardly recommend a Ford or Olds cam for a Mopar. Comp makes that grind for pretty much everything.

I thought that was a bit weird, might have been a rogue web. Ill keep looking, maybe summit or Jegs. Thanks for the input
one last thing, when you say "use recommended springs" are you referring to the ones on there now or new ones suggested by the manufacturer? excuse my ignorance..

one last thing, when you say "use recommended springs" are you referring to the ones on there now or new ones suggested by the manufacturer? excuse my ignorance..

The ones Comp says to use with the DEH265.

by the manufacturer of the cam.

I have almost an identical build to yours, different headers. I went with the Comp Cams XE262H. If you search "318 Build - Expert Review Needed" on FABO you can read what the guys said about mine.

You have headers and nice dual exhaust. That's a plus. It can be easy to over cam the 318 unless you want to replace the torque converter and maybe step up a ratio or two in the rear end.

Comp XE256H

Or, a Comp 20-306-4

And a set of 901-16 springs........and new valve seals while you’re in there.

Comp XE256H

Or, a Comp 20-306-4

And a set of 901-16 springs........and new valve seals while you’re in there.
I have the exact same setup as the OP and this is what I went with. I called and talked to Comp, also used their online program. This is the cam they recommended and I'm VERY happy with it. If compression was higher then a XE262H would be good, but the torque the XE256H puts out is excellent!

-
Back