1971 dodge dart swinger

-
man that is in pretty bad shape. if you want to take on a real project then i would pay no more than 1300.00. it is going to need alot of attention in my opinion....

it is going to need full quarters and who know about the trunk pan.....it is a full plate.....

and another factor in my decision is my attention to my already existing 1971 dodge dart swinger project car at home8)

I don't think $2000 is bad at all! Considering you're Canadian and understand how much more people always want for those things up here. I paid $2000 for mine with no rust, but had a worn out /6.

You'll easily be $10K into that car before you even start to think of building a driveline for it. If you have the money, buy a better car. If you're into masochism, go for it.

I think you should have a thorough look at the frame(is it front or rear?)It might be more work than you anticipate for $1500.2 centos

I wouldn't pay more then 300 for it. (and that would be to part out the good stuff and crush the shell) Yes it has some good but it has A LOT OF BAD. Unless you are willing to do body work (even if you can do body work it's a lot) it is going to cost BIG bucks to fix that rust and if the frame needs fixing like you indicated it is only gonna be lots more. If you have another one at home spend your money wisely and spend it on that.

Maybe I am looking at different pictures than some here as that car don't look that bad. (purple right?)
$300 bucks??

I wish I could find a car like that for $300 bucks.

That would be a great Father/Son project, or in my case, Father/Daughter project.

What something is worth is very dependent on your location. Being in B.C. Canada your going to have a hard time finding something with out rust.

Shipping something across country is probably cheaper if you live in the States but I dont know whats required to ship a car across the border.

I would look further in to that car before making an offer. How are the floor boards, frame rails and torsion bar mounts ? Inner approns are another spot to check.

It obviously needs a pair of quarters and outer wheel houses. I probably needs rocker panels and trunk extensions.

If everything else is good your looking at 10 to 12K to get the body work done and get the car in paint.

The problem is once you start grinding down paint you may find the fenders, doors and windshield frame are rotted.

I dont think I would pay more then 1K for the car but it may be worth more to someone else.

Maybe I am looking at different pictures than some here as that car don't look that bad. (purple right?)
$300 bucks??

I wish I could find a car like that for $300 bucks.

That would be a great Father/Son project, or in my case, Father/Daughter project.

Over here in Seattle I see cars for 500 bucks that don't have that kind of rust issues. There was a scamp on cl with almost no rust and a 318 for less then 1k a few weeks ago. When we were looking for Tara's dart (before the economy went south) we looked at a lot of cars in the 500-900 price range that didn't have much rust. Granted most of them were /6 cars but a few had 318s.
Here is one that's not perfect but from a rust stand point a heck of a lot better. http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/1027564936.html He would most likely take a bit less then 2k since it's been listed for awhile.
I don't know I just find it hard to pay lots of money for a rusty car.

i paid 1k for mine it had a few small rust issues (pass side floor pans and package tray) but nothing major like that. IMO unless you really want to tackle that as a major project its not really worth it.

Well..... you can save anything i guess. I think it's worth 1000- 1500 if you want to get into that deep of a project. The guys are right, it will be a lot of work and money.
In my opinion, you have 3 ways to go.
(1) Offer him a grand and see if he takes it
(2) Buy it and use it as a daily driver and/or exchange all of the better parts for your other '71 and resell.(You would have to rebondo it up and make it look good like they did 10 years ago.)
(3) Find a rust free body and forget about rustorations.
On a final note, Damnnnnn.......... it sure looks good plum crazy!
And, why would anyone strip and crush a car like this anyway? I'm not a mopar savior, but it's very fixable.
I guess some people look at the $$$$$$ i guess. To each his own.
I'm from B.C. originally, so i've seen my fair share of the rustbucket cars out there, this one isn't that bad comparing to a lot i've seen out there.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Just my 2 cents.:-D
Tom.

(2) Buy it and use it as a daily driver and/or exchange all of the better parts for your other '71 and resell.(You would have to rebondo it up and make it look good like they did 10 years ago.)

The thing is there is no better parts from this car to my car, i will probably get around to posting pics of mine soon, Thanks guys for all the opinions, pretty much talk me out of it

And, why would anyone strip and crush a car like this anyway? I'm not a mopar savior, but it's very fixable.
I guess some people look at the $$$$$$ i guess.

I was just trying to make a point, a car like that is going to have a lot of hidden rust. He said the frame needed fixing, if there is one spot I bet there will be another. Also it looks like it would need 1/4s and who knows what else. I thought Tara's was rust free and when I started sanding I found a few spots, and yes know what I am looking for as I am going to school for paint/body. Anything is fixable, my challenger has a lot of rust (not as much and I didn't pay as much, it's also not as complete) but there a lot better deals out there that wouldn't potently cause someone to loose faith and give up. I see it here on fabo where people give up and it hurts. There are a lot of savable cars but not being realistic about it is not going to help anyone. Please don't take offense anyone I am just playing devils advocate.

-
Back