-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan426_

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
im looking for a 1971 gull-wing still i can buy a repro for about $316 wuts difference between the $316 and $500 ones but i would like to buy an original one thanks

I bought a cheap repo one, made of fiberglass or some crap...I think cheap 200.00...from a guy in florida, looked like crap, had small cracks all over it...the guy was like well it looked fine when it left here, wouldn't take back.....Must have cracked from fl to NY yea ok.......I know I didn't answer your question just my 2 cents on what happened to me

gull 71 style its for my 71 duster it came factory with a wing but when i bought the car the wing was gone just the stands left on the car.
Are you looking for a "gull-wing" or a "go-wing"? I'm guessing you do know there is a difference. Is it for an A-body?

This is why I asked:
http://www.dantesparts.com/rearspoiler.html

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought "gull-wings" never came stock on A-bodies, only the "go-wings".

I've been wrong before,
Jerry

You may have a point Jerry, my '71 Duster came with a go-wing from the factory. In fact it has been brought to my attention at nearly every show I attend. Someone tells me I have the wrong wing, as '71 was "Gull wing".
But from knowing the the two previous owners (as well as it being a low mileage car), and they both say that is the wing it came with (Go wing).

I thought it may have been due to it's late production date, that It ended up with that wing.

Now I'm curious...I apologize if I'm "high jacking" your thread Ryan, but I know you want to build it correct.

All the best,
Giles

no i appreciate all the help i didnt know that i just thought all 71's had the "gull" know im really curious and yes that is my goal to build it correct
You may have a point Jerry, my '71 Duster came with a go-wing from the factory. In fact it has been brought to my attention at nearly every show I attend. Someone tells me I have the wrong wing, as '71 was "Gull wing".
But from knowing the the two previous owners (as well as it being a low mileage car), and they both say that is the wing it came with (Go wing).

I thought it may have been due to it's late production date, that It ended up with that wing.

Now I'm curious...I apologize if I'm "high jacking" your thread Ryan, but I know you want to build it correct.

All the best,
Giles

...I thought this thread was going to have Mopars with Lamborghini-style doors or somethin' :wack: LOL!

According to my research, the gull style was not offered for an A-Body.

Go wings were used.........thicker and bulkier, and rounded corner.

i was sent this from giles as u can see in the pics it is a duster with a gull-wing,, pastortom how did u come about this info

Well, there ya go, I stand corrected.
Now, on to the next question... where to get one.

Jerry

Guess I do too............Good piece of info on that chart.........Good luck finding one with a reasonable price...........I paid $485. to the door for the one I put on my Cuda....a year and a half ago.

I think the confusion stems from the fact a few very early 1971 Dusters received the "Go-wing" . The majority recieved the "gull-wing." Also i'm sure
some cars had them dealer installed and would have used either type. just my 2cent. BTW the car is coming out great Ryan!

Well, there ya go, I stand corrected.
Now, on to the next question... where to get one.

Jerry

Jerry, I'm not convinced you are wrong, although it does show a "Gull wing" in the 1971 sales/options brochure.

Like I have mentioned before my 1971 340 Duster came from the factory with a "Go wing" and it is a late build '71 (May 26, Hammtranck), and came with electronic ignition. Here's some pics of the brackets, for those who may question the originality http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa59/340butterduster/Wing Brackets/.

Having said this, look at the picture of the wing in the brochure again, see how far forward the pedastals would have to be, that wing is way too far forward to be mounted in the same bracket holes. The Go Wing sits way further back.

Those are two of the reasons why I think Jerry and Pastortom are onto something here.

I personally haven't seen a '71 Duster that came from the factory with a "Gull wing", I'm not saying there wasn't, but here lies the question.

I entirely agree with the rest of you, as far as 1971 = Gull Wing (only year).
But on the Duster I'm still not sure, maybe different from assembly plant?

Now I realized I just added more mud to the water.

Giles

ooohh getting interesting lol i know 71=gull and 70=go but i guess its hard to say b/c i have never seen an ad or a old photo of a duster with a factory wing but i'll probly be putting the gull-wing on not only b/c there cool but i dont wanna get them die hard mopar guys at shows ripping on my car saying that aint right, i just wish i had an old photo or the brackets that hold the wing to the peds that wud tell me for sure
Jerry, I'm not convinced you are wrong, although it does show a "Gull wing" in the 1971 sales/options brochure.

Like I have mentioned before my 1971 340 Duster came from the factory with a "Go wing" and it is a late build '71 (May 26, Hammtranck), and came with electronic ignition. Here's some pics of the brackets, for those who may question the originality http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa59/340butterduster/Wing Brackets/.

Having said this, look at the picture of the wing in the brochure again, see how far forward the pedastals would have to be, that wing is way too far forward to be mounted in the same bracket holes. The Go Wing sits way further back.

Those are two of the reasons why I think Jerry and Pastortom are onto something here.

I personally haven't seen a '71 Duster that came from the factory with a "Gull wing", I'm not saying there wasn't, but here lies the question.

I entirely agree with the rest of you, as far as 1971 = Gull Wing (only year).
But on the Duster I'm still not sure, maybe different from assembly plant?

Now I realized I just added more mud to the water.

Giles

Guys, the 'gull wing' was in fact on 71 Dusters and Demons BUT some later 71s came with 'go wings'. There is a difference in them as you all are aware but if you have an early numbers build Duster the correct one will be the gull wing. Off that rabble if you are not going for a 100 point high dollar resto and have no intention on doing a numbers show car it really makes no difference which one you use on the trunk as the cutouts are on the lid for both and no matter how you do the wing someone is going to question you. Heck they will even question you when you dont have the wing. This is one of those you cant win battles with the correct crowd. Do the wing the way you want. It will look good either way and in the end its what makes you happy that counts most. You have to drive it so do it your way!
Chas.

Guys, the 'gull wing' was in fact on 71 Dusters and Demons BUT some later 71s came with 'go wings'. There is a difference in them as you all are aware but if you have an early numbers build Duster the correct one will be the gull wing. Off that rabble if you are not going for a 100 point high dollar resto and have no intention on doing a numbers show car it really makes no difference which one you use on the trunk as the cutouts are on the lid for both and no matter how you do the wing someone is going to question you. Heck they will even question you when you dont have the wing. This is one of those you cant win battles with the correct crowd. Do the wing the way you want. It will look good either way and in the end its what makes you happy that counts most. You have to drive it so do it your way!
Chas.

You make a very good point! When people question my car I like to say so where is you car? That usually shuts them up.

You make a very good point! When people question my car I like to say so where is you car? That usually shuts them up.

haha ive done that i also own a 72 twister was 318 now is a 340 tribute car some guy ragged on it at a show saying "ahh thats not a real 340 car" i said i never said it was, then i said where is ur car and of course he didnt have a classic car i thought it was funny

Was the go-wing designed by Ford or Mopar? I've seen them on Mustangs also....

Aloha!

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back