• 72 Cuda 340 V21

Votes: 18 20.7%
  • I like cat food..

Votes: 16 18.4%

• Total voters
-

813Demon340

Reaction score
I just picked up a 72 Cuda 340, auto car. Its completely dissembled and needs 1/4's, but is complete. The original motor and trans are long gone, but it does have a fender tag and build sheet. The car was originally Petty Blue (TB3)/ Black. I plan to repaint it the original color with the black vinyl top, add louvers, and keep the dual scoop hood (except the AAR of course). But I'm thinking of converting it to either a 71 Cuda 340, 70 AAR Cuda, or restoring it with the 72 only V21 hood blackout. Not a huge fan of the round taillights, but it was a car worth picking up. So I thought I'd throw it out there to see what would you build of those 3 choices??

1) 71 Cuda 340

2) 70 AAR with the correct AAR hood

3) 72 Cuda 340, V21

Attachments

• 71ply76628-1.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 590
  • KimballStock_AUT-23-RK3478-01.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 718
  • V21cuda5_zps9fe757d7.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 623
There is a Petty Blue 72 cuda 340 here that's totally unrestored and get this...has dealer installed AAR stripes on it with the blacked out hood stripes like your picture......I'll look and see if I can find the pics....I vote 72 :glasses7:

I think the dual headlight from the 70 would look killer with the round tail lights from the 72
kinda like putting a demon tail light panel in with a shark tooth grille, it just matches

of course, im a sucker for dual round tail lights
I don't think ive ever seen a car which had them as an option and not liked them best

(before I got my 71 I actually considered getting a 73-74 duster or dart sport and replacing the hideous blobs it has for tail lights with a set from the 72 cuda or a 68 charger)

One reason for the 71 clone is to build one close to my old 71 Cuda I had in high school. I recently found my old Cuda but couldn't afford the $87,000 he wanted for it. It was a dual scoop car with magnums, other than that its as built.

Attachments

• Cuda.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 554
  • Cudapss.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 593
One reason for the 71 clone is to build one close to my old 71 Cuda I had in high school. I recently found my old Cuda but couldn't afford the $87,000 he wanted for it. It was a dual scoop car with magnums, other than that its as built.

There you go...no need for a poll, build the car of your dreams/past and FTW :finga:

I voted in the poll to go 72 Petty blue but my dream car is a 71 Cuda 340...so change my vote to 71 340 !!!

Like the/voted for the '72 . A little different, & off the cuff. Myself personally, I would argent/black the grill,to be different. Then start with other small tweaks that look stock, but confuse the Mopar traditional. (Thinking color changes, mirror swaps,small things. Cheating different is cheap, high dollars OEM parts is...well you know...) FWIW, I voted cat food. Need to buy cat food tomorrow, will see it as a reminder,thanks!

Since you're asking for the court of public opinion, keep it a '72.

There's more '70 and '71's built today than there actually were in '70 and '71. Cloning a round taillight car into what it's not is hardly original anymore.

Maybe I'm a little biased, owning a '74, but I get tired of looking at the same old same old.

Since the original drivetrain is gone. Build it the way you want.

I vote for going 71 Cuda... Probably the ultimate E-body!

Attachments

• 44126_Front_3-4_Web.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 441
  • 44126_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 415
This was a tough vote because:
I like the 70 tail panel, the 71 grille, the 72 air dam/valence, and the AAR type striping the best. I am not a fan of the Go-Wing and the rear louvers because they seem to disrupt the eye appealing lines of the body.

So I ended up voting for cat food since my cat will not only eat her food but the neighbor's cat food as well.

Overall, I like the 71 Cuda followed by the 70 and the 72.

If you do the same excellent job on this car that you did on the 71 Duster 340 then it will turn out to look like a Duster! Just Kidding.

What ever you choose to do to the car I know it will be done right and look great.

71 CUDA the ultimate????

i think we are talking about the 1970 cuda here..... as the ultimate **

but i say build it for what it is... 72'

I think the '72 grille and tail lights are cool, so I vote to rock the V21 code (with or without the color-keyed grille).

72barracuda003.jpg

we often make polls and ask our peers opinions to talk us into what we already know we want.....I do it too.

I would bet deep in your thoughts, this is the option you really want.

That would be cool for you to have your old car back......best wishes and hope it lives up to what you really want no matter what you do with it. :thumblef:

on a side note:

I have not actually eaten cat food but the other morning I opened a new bag and the robust aroma was quite refreshing.

Over a billion cats couldn't be wrong ....right :jocolor::jocolor:

on a side note:

I have not actually eaten cat food but the other morning i opened a new bag and the robust aroma was quite refreshing.

Over a billion cats couldn't be wrong ....right :jocolor::jocolor:

lol !!

I had

70 Grand Coupe Barracuda 383 auto AC & PW

71 383 auto Cuda Convertible

And

72 318 auto Barracuda

If it were mine it would go back petty blue find a nice small block, use the 72 stripe and forget the black out hood

But it is your car, do what you want

Just think a factory restoration with some minor upgrades will make a pleasant car to own & drive

Once you change the tail panel & grill you will need to change side marker lights to make it look right.

The AAR stripe on the 72 do not look right to me, but the stock stripe you hardly ever see because everyone puts AAR or Hockey stick stripes on them. So that is why the stock stripe is best.

When you get done and go to sell it will be worth more original than butchered, original engine TRANS or not.

My opinion

we are all pulled toward cars we LIKE. if you don't like round taillites, then looks like you would either sell this sucker and get what you want OR build it into one of those Johhny Cash CARS!!????
I admit to have weaned myself of E bodies way back in bout '92..... the only ones I truly loved were the AAR and TA.. had 7 or 8 total.
here's a kicker, friend found me a TA, a roller( if it had a front suspension)! this was '90. cost me $400. Ted Stephens peed in his paints when I showed it to him on way back to Mo. ( LOL)
mopars market crashed in '92. I sold it a couple years later ( with front suspension), for $1500, ( iwas on to 68-70 B bodies by then)... took me a year to find anyone that would buy it ( straight, basically no rust, a roller) LOL
makes me wonder if our mopar market will jump up ( I personally hope NOT), when the stock market finally crashes again!????)

I say built it your way. This is my 72 cuda my dad painted/built this over 20 years ago. I do have an aar hood/wing for it but never got around to installing them. I will be doing my tb3 73 340 car I have into a 70 aar hemi orange.

I honesty like the 72-74 grilles

I'd go '72 V21, but build the car like an early Seventies Pro Stocker. Skinny vintage 3 1/2" front wheels, 10" vintage wheels on the back, 12" slicks, big block with a tunnel ram, 4 speed, six pack hood, lightweight bucket seats, etc. Yes, I know it's crazy. And yes, I'm serious. :burnout:

-
Back