1972 dart 360 with 904

-

Johnny71dusty

Reaction score
I have a stock 360 with 904 with what I believe to be original Flex plate and converter .

I had trans rebuilt and want to put in a original style converter back in . Bud can't dine one anywhere . All say " zero balance " and basically all suppliers Napa , auto zone, rock auto - yes all them say " unavailable" .

I really don't want to do the newer style weighted flex plate & zero balanced converter .

what are my options ? Or do I not have any ?

The newer style flex plates are not weighted. They have material removed to make the balance correct. That's how I would go. It's the easiest and strongest option.

If you're dead set against using a B&M flexplate (I would), another option is adding weights to the convertor, like the factory did. DC/MP used to offer kits for this, but they have not been available for many moons. So, you're left with making your own. There are weight specs and mounting diagrams on the internet, but you'll have to do your own legwork on that.
Lastly, there's a balance plate from Quick Time, that mounts between the crank flange and flexplate.
Quick Time | RM-531 | Automatic Transmission Flexplate Balance Plate (fpautoparts.com)

So only option is new styles flex plate ( yes I know notch is cut out ) and a zero balanced converter . Got it

secondly what diameter ? I see so many 10",11" and others diameters listed for a904s . They need teeth on them as well and many pictures shown don't have teeth on them .

So only option is new styles flex plate ( yes I know notch is cut out ) and a zero balanced converter . Got it

secondly what diameter ? I see so many 10",11" and others diameters listed for a904s . They need teeth on them as well and many pictures shown don't have teeth on them .
Not the only option, but it's what I would call the better option. The other option is a 360 only weighted balancer and a stock flex plate. Thing is, both options cost about the same, so why not go with the better flex plate?

The ring gear (teeth) are on the convertor, not the flexplate.

Not the only option, but it's what I would call the better option. The other option is a 360 only weighted balancer and a stock flex plate. Thing is, both options cost about the same, so why not go with the better flex plate?
This is what I want and asked for bud states no One makes a weighted converter
That's because they aren't Mopar converters.
Well it's what is showing for a904 converter

This is what I want and asked for bud states no One makes a weighted converter

Well it's what is showing for a904 converter
That's because it's a stupid representative picture someone put there. If it does not have a ring gear on the converter, it is not for a Mopar transmission.

Summit sells weighted Mopar converters everyday.

Summit nor jegs , nor Napa , autozone etc have a904 converter - in original weighted or zero balanced . All unavailable

Didn't 360's come with 727's? Just asking
Normally, yes- but in later years as the 904 was upgraded to a998/999 I think the factory stuck them behind 360s (I believe). At least through the 70s it was a 727 that was used behind 360s- even the 2 bbl. versions.

That's because it's a stupid representative picture someone put there. If it does not have a ring gear on the converter, it is not for a Mopar transmission.

And I bet Precision of New Hampton could come up with what is needed. Those guys are tops.

And I bet Precision of New Hampton could come up with what is needed. Those guys are tops.

Nope - not single one listed for a904 is available on summits site right now .

If the picture doesn't show a ring gear on the convertor, it's either a nonrepresentative "stock" photo like Rusty says, or it is for an AMC- Chrysler built and sold transmissions (including 904s) to other manufacturers like AMC and even GM.

If the picture doesn't show a ring gear on the convertor, it's either a nonrepresentative "stock" photo like Rusty says, or it is for an AMC- Chrysler built and sold transmissions (including 904s) to other manufacturers like AMC and even GM.
Probably stoic photos I get it

-
Back