1972 duster curb height

-

mummertj

Reaction score
I have a 1972 H code 340 duster, it has had many modifications to the suspension. I am trying to get a ball park curb height (? how high off the ground say the bottom of front bumper)
I have a magnum force Tubular front chassis with rack and pinion and coil over shocks so most of the LCA measurements don't apply and torsion bars are removed, as well the rear is four linked with coil over shocks ( both front and rear are adjustable ) the front end kit is low, I feel like it is slammed and currently it is only 23 inches to the center of the wheel opening from the ground
If I turn my wheels all the way one direction there is only about a half inch clearance between the top of the tire and the opening in the fender
Have 560-15 on the front and N 50 15 on the rear, currently the whole stance looks good, but i would like to raise it about an 1-1/2 all around but want it to look close to stock
any help or suggestions
IMG_0783.jpg

i would leave it alone, it looks killer
(maybe replace the centerlines with kidney slots, but that is neither here nor there)

I think other than the MOPAR sport wheels those slots have too be the most common thing on the dusters, valiants and demons
I am going old school bench the carbs and centerlines, just a cruiser though, still messing with the height ...Thanks

thats funny, i feel the centerlines are over done
(or course, i blame AMT and Revell for that, it seems every single model i build as a kid came with the centerlines)

i do like the bench idea, fits with what i think a muscle car should be, no options except for power

thats funny, i feel the centerlines are over done
(or course, i blame AMT and Revell for that, it seems every single model i build as a kid came with the centerlines)
It could be as well, that centerlines were one of only a few, if not the only company back then, that made a quality, modern race wheel in small pattern & alot more sizes than they offer today. ya, we had chrome cragars, but they were heavy & looked like crap after a few years & ETs where nothing special. uni-lug saw to that.
I think centerlines work very well on this car and I agree, front ends needs to come up just a smidge.

I like the Centerlines.
I think you got the slope nailed.
IMO, the front needs lower profile tires and then jack it back up to maintain the slope. I like bigN littles, but that's me.

But as to actual height;
Put it on the alignment rack. Set you ride ht to whatever height puts the lower control arm about level with the flat-earth plane.
Then,have your man perform the camber change routine with the caster maxed out, the camber set to zero, and the wheel pointing dead ahead. Graph the numbers. Set your FRONT ride height just a lil lower than where the curve apexes. This will ensure the least amount of camber change in the corners, and that will ensure the least amount of bump-steer, so you don't end up chasing the car all over the road, every time one side of the car hits a bump.
Then match both sides; giving up caster on the side with the most, if you have to.
With the front height now set; you can reset the camber to ~.5neg, for the street, with the caster matched and maxed. And a hint of toe-in. As to toe-in, the rack-man never gets it right. What I do is just drive it. I can always tell when it ain't darn close. So I drive it for a few miles or blocks or several minutes. Then I get out and crank some more in, on the passenger side. I never get it right on the first try, so I go a half turn toe-in, and drive it some more. If it needs more, then I put a half-turn into the drivers side. And so on, always alternating. I have never had a guy put in too much toe-in.
Eventually, with too much toe, it will get nervous. With not enough, it will get grabby, and try to climb up out of asphalt ruts. The window with radials is pretty big so don't kill yourself looking for it. With belted tires and their sharp corners, it's another story.
Now go home and adjust the back to whatever you like.
May you find a decent alignment shop the first time; good luck.

Last edited:
-
Back