1972 Duster Factory AC

-

Jim Kueneman

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Sorry more questions about the Duster project I am ready to buy. Did the 72 Duster have the push button vacuum switches or does it have the slider controls. Also from a AC box point of view what is different between these boxes? Is the slider switch type not a vacuum type? Questions are I am piecing together the parts I want on the Duster roller build from a yard full of A Body parts and I want to be sure I have the right list of parts I want when we shake hands.

Thanks

All A-Body A/C systems use the vacuum actuated push buttons. The firewall has a larger cut-out for the fan that is fitted to the box. The box is MUCH larger and requires two more large holes drilled in the firewall plus the drain hole. The best way to convert to A/C is to get an aftermarket system.

So here is why I ask. The Duster is factory air but the box and controls are pulled. The 74 Dart I plan to use as the donor car is also factory air but it had a horizontal slider switch to move between off.heat.maxAC.AC. The 70 Duster and 68 Dart we looked at had the push buttons.

Google / search repop firewall. The firewall SHAPE and hole punching was different between AC and non AC cars, and there was a CHANGE somewhere around 72-73. I don't believe the later AC boxes will fit the earlier AC cars, but not sure "when"

The application / year fitup for the repop firewalls will tell you that

E599C7F2-CD6F-4041-92BB-1D04E89E09FE.jpeg
The 74 Dart looks like this

If you look at the DMT kits 67-69 then 70-72 then 73-74 then 75-76 are the 4 available rebuild kits. The firewall looks the same from AMD. It won’t be a number anything matching car so I’ll give it a try to just move over everything and make a Dust-Dart.

Well hell I could have sworn they had been a change there somewhere

OK now the rest of the info comes out. 73 the A/C completely changed, so you can use systems for 67-72 for the same and systems for 73-76 for the same, but there are too many changes to switch the two.

OK now the rest of the info comes out. 73 the A/C completely changed, so you can use systems for 67-72 for the same and systems for 73-76 for the same, but there are too many changes to switch the two.

So what is different if the firewall is the same?

Be aware the plan is to pull EVERYTHING from the Dart dash forward including the engine, k-frame, evaporator, ac lines, heater box, power steering, engine, AC compressor, dash, ducting, controls, steering column. The Duster is bare sheet metal firewall forward.

-
Back