1972 Duster Project - Back From The Pasture

-
Yea, matte black side stripes, no call out (hell we may stuff a 440 in it next year).
Matte black tail panel graphics. Putting graphics on next weekend. Going to let the paint cure a bit.
Painting the B5 twister stripes on a matte black hood this weekend.
Matte black go wing at the end of the day.

Got the hood shot today after much yelling and cursing at "Graphic Express". We purchased the twister ladder stencil from them and it was a total waist of time and money.
Very poor design as it is meant to be put on dry unlike the wet application side graphics. If you know how to mask and paint do it the old fashioned way with a good automotive masking tape. The only use this piece of **** stencil had was being able to measure it and get the "approximate" dimensions and spacing for the stripes. Even at that, the instruction template with the stencil showed 20 stripes but the actual picture of the car on their web site shows 18 stripes. We split the difference and put 19 on :thumbsup:.
Do not buy this Graphic Express - 1971-72 Plymouth Duster Twister Ladder Hood Treatment

Not sure what is correct but I really don't give a flying F@ck at this point. My back hurts.
IMG_1268.jpg

Got the hood shot today after much yelling and cursing at "Graphic Express". We purchased the twister ladder stencil from them and it was a total waist of time and money.
Very poor design as it is meant to be put on dry unlike the wet application side graphics. If you know how to mask and paint do it the old fashioned way with a good automotive masking tape. The only use this piece of **** stencil had was being able to measure it and get the "approximate" dimensions and spacing for the stripes. Even at that, the instruction template with the stencil showed 20 stripes but the actual picture of the car on their web site shows 18 stripes. We split the difference and put 19 on :thumbsup:.
Do not buy this Graphic Express - 1971-72 Plymouth Duster Twister Ladder Hood Treatment

Not sure what is correct but I really don't give a flying F@ck at this point. My back hurts.
View attachment 1715241461
You mean this one? :rofl:

image.jpg

:rofl:
That is the one.
If you're interested we can PM about the subtleties of putting that son of a ***** on dry. We thought we had the perfect plan of of attack, all was going well until about half way down and it skewed off to one side. How, I have no idea because we had that f@cker locked on rails (or at least we thought). After it was all done we were gratful it didn't work because the unmasking would have been another level of stress. Way too much adhesive on the vinyl.
We opted out of the pin stripes weeks ago and went for the full black hood. One less level of brain damage.
Let me know if you know something I don't but I should have went with the old fashioned way from the beginning.

BTW, how many stripes on the stencil? We destroyed ours in a fit of rage ripping it off with out thinking to count them. :rofl:

IMG_1266.jpg

Last edited:
That is the one.
If you're interested we can PM about the subtleties of putting that son of a ***** on dry. We thought we had the perfect plan of of attack, all was going well until about half way down and it skewed off to one side. How, I have no idea because we had that f@cker locked on rails (or at least we thought). After it was all done we were gratful it didn't work because the unmasking would have been another level of stress. Way too much adhesive on the vinyl.
We opted out of the pin stripes weeks ago and went for the full black hood. One less level of brain damage.
Let me know if you know something I don't but I should have went with the old fashioned way from the beginning.

BTW, how many stripes on the stencil? We destroyed ours in a fit of rage ripping it off with out thinking to count them. :rofl:

View attachment 1715241479
No idea, at the Brewery distressing.

594E6F71-1A9B-45DB-8377-6B5DA4B5D060.jpeg
I had one door do this on about an inch wide and the length of the door..... glad I am not done with the blue. Need to strip and paint the hood support and bumper chin sheet metal. Just sand it down and redo. This is why I WILL NOT shoot metallic! So easy to fix solid colors.

Always something. That's why I'm hiring the pros for my Bird. I'm not as smart as I used to be.
BTW, why not go with the vinyl stripes on yours? I thought you were doing white on blue or white on black.

Always something. That's why I'm hiring the pros for my Bird. I'm not as smart as I used to be.
BTW, why not go with the vinyl stripes on yours? I thought you were doing white on blue or white on black.
They are vinyl but under 4 coats of clear

I'm confused. (As usual)
Why buy the paint stencil then? Plus they recommend not to clear over the vinyl.
Tell me your secrets Obi Wan.

If I had to paint the sides anyway why not do it in one step (or so was the thought)... Yea they told me that too. Motorcycles have been clearing over vinyl decals for 35 years. They don't want the liability of them failing under clear. The pro's on the Southern Polyurethane forum do it all the time. I have SPI adhesion promoter for a quick squirt then clear away.

That is the one.

View attachment 1715241479

21 ladder rungs

If I had to paint the sides anyway why not do it in one step (or so was the thought)... Yea they told me that too. Motorcycles have been clearing over vinyl decals for 35 years. They don't want the liability of them failing under clear. The pro's on the Southern Polyurethane forum do it all the time. I have SPI adhesion promoter for a quick squirt then clear away.
Sorry, I'm still a little confused, but them I typically am.
I'll watch your thread closely to learn a thing or two.
:popcorn:

Sorry, I'm still a little confused, but them I typically am.
I'll watch your thread closely to learn a thing or two.
:popcorn:

The decal you buy only are the black ladder rungs. You still have to paint the large flat portions.

Seemed like the thing to do at the time :)
Can't argue with an honest answer. Based on how meticulous you have been with the body work on your build (excellent job by the way, I couldn't have done it), my point is to avoid that damn Graphic Express paint stencil if you can. Poorly designed for the purpose.
If you are intending to embed vinyl under clear, the vinyl ladder strip (in white or black) is easier to apply. We opted for the B5 ladder which they don't make in vinyl forcing us to paint it.
That stencil is the devil. Then again you may know a trick or two that I don't on how to apply it. It kicked our @ss. :rolleyes:

I just don't want to see you struggle with the detailed finishing work after doing such a fine job on the body work, that's all.

Can't argue with an honest answer. Based on how meticulous you have been with the body work on your build (excellent job by the way, I couldn't have done it), my point is to avoid that damn Graphic Express paint stencil if you can. Poorly designed for the purpose.
If you are intending to embed vinyl under clear, the vinyl ladder strip (in white or black) is easier to apply. We opted for the B5 ladder which they don't make in vinyl forcing us to paint it.
That stencil is the devil. Then again you may know a trick or two that I don't on how to apply it. It kicked our @ss. :rolleyes:

I just don't want to see you struggle with the detailed finishing work after doing such a fine job on the body work, that's all.

Watch and be amazed..... :popcorn:

Yea, matte black side stripes, no call out (hell we may stuff a 440 in it next year).
Matte black tail panel graphics. Putting graphics on next weekend. Going to let the paint cure a bit.
Painting the B5 twister stripes on a matte black hood this weekend.
Matte black go wing at the end of the day.
Let the paint cure a BIT before u put decals /stickers on it whatever you guys call them

View attachment 1715241508 I had one door do this on about an inch wide and the length of the door..... glad I am not done with the blue. Need to strip and paint the hood support and bumper chin sheet metal. Just sand it down and redo. This is why I WILL NOT shoot metallic! So easy to fix solid colors.
..............dont know what caused that but id let it cure real good then 1000/1200 sand gently and recoat :)
looks kinda weird like too much paint too quick???
if its dry and you sand it flat and theres NO UNDERLYING problem with prep should be OK

-
Back