1972 Scamp "Smokey" - Saved From Wildfire

-

Just Send It

There goes the neighborhood!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
In 2020, Oregon had the largest and most destructive wildfire season in our State's history. If you didn't live here, it's hard to explain how widespread and awful it was. The strong southern Santa Ana winds made the situation even worse - with the winds carrying hot embers for miles and starting new fires.

However, right before the fires really started getting bad, I was in discussions to purchase an 'original' 72 Plymouth Scamp GA4 Winchester Grey with a 318/904. After several years of searching, the car was almost exactly what I was looking for to start my next project.

After weeks of negotiating with the Owner, we had the deal done and all that was left to do was go pick it up. This, however, proved to be an extremely risky affair. You see...during the weeks that the Owner and I were finalizing the sale, those wildfires that started in the middle of the State kept getting larger and larger. So big, in-fact, that the flames jumped the fire lines and crossed the main highway artery that allows traffic to go from West to East. This stalled me getting the vehicle even more as the fire lines were getting expanded miles each day. Things were not looking good.

Another week goes by while we wait for the highway to reopen. Then I get a text message from the owner that says "If you want this car, you need to be at my house by tomorrow morning at the latest. The fire is within 1/4 mile from my house and I'm about to lose everything."

My heart sank into my stomach and my brain went into high gear. I immediately hitched my trailer up and started planning how I was going to get from Central Oregon to the valley without getting caught behind a fire line. The decision was made to go South by the California border and then travel north up I-5 to get there. I left at 4am.

As you can imagine, the drive was horrendous. The smoke was so thick in parts that I couldn't see 30ft in front of me with all of my lights on. When the sun finally poked through it was crimson red. Aside from some forestry trucks, I was the only idiot on the road. It was like something out of an apocalyptic novel. But the deeper I got into the woods, the more determined I was to save this car from being burned up. I trekked forward.

After about 6hrs, I finally arrived in Marcola, OR. It was around 10am. The town was evacuated. EMT and Forestry trucks lined the roads and they were only allowing local traffic to pass through. They were especially skeptical of me because A) This was a small town and they didn't know me, and B) Looters had been going around and boosting cars while the town was being evacuated, so my trailer raised a red flag. Understandable. I told them where I was headed and they took my license plate number. Fine. I trekked forward.

When I finally arrived at the Owner's house, it was a race against time. If the winds blew westward, we were dead. Like literally dead, because there was no evacuation route near their property. 1 way in - 1 way out. Not an ideal situation to be in. Especially considering their property was on the outskirts of town. I understood that if we got into trouble, no one was coming to save us.

I'll tell you, boy. I've never worked so fast in my life. We had that sum ***** pushed out from under his carport and loaded up in roughly 15 minutes. I got the title, paperwork, took a quick photo, shook the man's hand and then we got the Hell out of there immediately. Thank God the Scamp's e-brake worked because I did horrible tie-down job since I was rushing like a mad man to leave as quickly as possible.

Thankfully, we got home okay. The car had some smoke damage to it, but ultimately was spared and it made for a good story. The owner's home was sparred as well. His property lost a lot trees, but his shop and the other cars made it. He and I still swap texts every so often.

After giving it a gentle power wash and detail, the paint cleaned up great. Now I'm in the process of getting it back together and enjoying it. We've named her "Smokey" as a testament of what we went through to get her.

Here's a photo of how close his house was to the fires:

Last edited:
91890704-CA30-438D-99EB-70396A9D6596.jpeg
1D6D0041-BC80-4409-BD5B-6A5B4C668A3D.jpeg
E34A92AA-3DEC-4142-9374-6DD87A2D96EE.jpeg

I have my own Mopar wildfire story. This was my house. Nothing worse that being a Firefighter and having to protect your own house. But I consider myself fortunate that I was able to be there. We had another local crew up in Oregon’s at this same exact time. It was also 2020.

View attachment 1715843059 View attachment 1715843070 View attachment 1715843071

I have my own Mopar wildfire story. This was my house. Nothing worse that being a Firefighter and having to protect your own house. But I consider myself fortunate that I was able to be there. We had another local crew up in Oregon’s at this same exact time. It was also 2020.

Hol-E Crap!

That 1st photo you posted is pretty much what the highway looks like now when driving through Mill City, OR. The majority of the town was wiped out. You can still see the foundation plots, but not much else.

Being in that much smoke with that much fire/destruction is a unique thing. Fires in the PacNW have always been an issue, but the magnitude of the 2020 fires were different. Not sure how to explain it. I passed through several civilian checkpoints because they were looking for arsonists. The whole thing was weird and I probably wouldn't do it again.

Who am I kidding...of course I would do it again. I'm an idiot that loves Mopars.

Last edited:
Yeah, normally I would tell civilians “Do not drive in to a fire!”. But you were saving a Mopar so I fully endorse the effort! Good job , Sir. You have proven your dedication to me. I approve!
:thumbsup:

A few ago, I was headed South down I35 in Oklahoma pulling a 30 ft gooseneck stock trailer full of broodmares.. Spring, dry and windy. Traffic was detoured off I35 due to huge brush fires. I drove the route, E 40 mi, then S 40 mi,then back W 40 to the Interstate. I got maybe 5-6 mi down the road and traffic stops, and there are huge flames beside us all even in the middle right of way. No one can move and I am about to poop in my jeans! Just as quick, the fire truck pulls up shooting water and traffic went on. I really feel for all the W coast guys that have the fire issues!

This was all around my house. Ended up being 17,000+ acres and my place was a little oasis right in the middle of it. Defensible space, brush clearing, and a scratch line around the perimeter saved it. We used drip torches to backfire from the scratch line along the barbed wire fence.

This past fire season we fought a million acre fire and another one was 850,000.
One was set by a UC Berkeley professor angry at the government and the other was set by a father / son duo.
Something like a thousand homes lost in each case.

Last edited:
Love the story, glad everyone made it home safe. Love the Winchester Gray on that Scamp, black interior looks great.
Nice find!!
HotRod20

Restoration/Updates are underway. Drivetrain has been removed along with the axle and wiring. Bunch of new goodies are going in.

421ci small block with a CRT 904 Trans. Just finished up the mini tub as well. I was able to fit a 325 tire with about 3/4" on both sides to spare

I've been stuck in wiring purgatory. Finally got the car 90% wired with the Pro Dash. Just need to button-up a few more loose ends and she'll be ready for the juice. Also got my dash pad installed. Came out really good!

Edit: Before anyone crucifies me for cutting the bezel for the digital dash, I kept the original. This one was cracked and purchased at a swap meet years ago.

Last edited:
Cool story on a cool car. Can’t wait to see it back together. As a Scamp owner, love to see them getting some love.

Things be happening....

Got the new motor dyno'ed on Friday. She made 528hp and 550tq NA. Now I can order my torque converter stall and mate the drivetrain together. Hoping to have the motor/trans installed within 2 weeks.

Also scored an NOS heater delete panel for the interior. I havent seen one of these in a long time. Now I won't have holes where my heater controls would have been.

Nice score! And nice dyno results! I have the same heater delete in my car and found a radio delete to match lol.

-
Back