1972 sunroof Demon cars

-

sdweatherman

Reaction score
Just finished up putting together all the 1972 sunroof Demons that I have run across for the Mopar Sunroof Registry website. Six 340s and six base Demons. I also have been able to get a good estimate on production for those that have been wondering - around 100 340s, and around 250 base Demons were optioned with the sliding sunroof. Here are the known cars so far:

ForumPost.jpg

I’ve owned 4 Demons (1@71’ and 3@72’) and never even knew there was a sun roof option.
Thanks for bringing this to light. What was the option code? Fender tag code for this rare option?
Thanks!

Aren't there actually two sunroof options?

The "normal" one that's the same a B body cars with the metal sliding roof, and the "rag top" version that has a canvas (?) top.

The "normal" one that's the same a B body cars with the metal sliding roof, and the "rag top" version that has a canvas (?) top.
I think the drop down crank style one was 73-76

Just finished up putting together all the 1972 sunroof Demons that I have run across for the Mopar Sunroof Registry website. Six 340s and six base Demons. I also have been able to get a good estimate on production for those that have been wondering - around 100 340s, and around 250 base Demons were optioned with the sliding sunroof. Here are the known cars so far:

View attachment 1715413065

How do I get my 73 Dart Sport with a sun roof registered???? I'm interested for sure.

I’ve owned 4 Demons (1@71’ and 3@72’) and never even knew there was a sun roof option.
Thanks for bringing this to light. What was the option code? Fender tag code for this rare option?
Thanks!
Since there was no convertible production for A-bodies in 1971 and 1972, Chrysler used V3X and V3W where the top body color or vinyl top code goes on the tag. (Third row from the bottom, 1st code) Black and White were the only color options for the fold back sunroof. Additionally, the Vehicle Order Number (Second row from the bottom, last code) starts with a G - ie - G00234.
Scott.

Only one official factory sunroof option for 1971 and 1972 - the soft top. I think some of the Demon GSS cars that Mr. Norm modified had a sliding metal roof like the 1973 through 1976 A Bodies. I need to dig into those cars further.
Scott.

I know of one that was sadly parted out and scraped. It was a '72 340 auto. red with white interior and stripes. I know the VIN if you could use it for your registry, the car does not exist anymore though.

I know of one that was sadly parted out and scraped. It was a '72 340 auto. red with white interior and stripes. I know the VIN if you could use it for your registry, the car does not exist anymore though.
Absolutely - I document the ones that have gone to the great scrap yard in the sky also. VIN and the best description of body/top/interior colors and any options that you noticed. Location of death also, lol. Here or through the website email is fine - moparsunroofregistry@gmail.com
Thanks!
Scott.

Absolutely - I document the ones that have gone to the great scrap yard in the sky also. VIN and the best description of body/top/interior colors and any options that you noticed. Location of death also, lol. Here or through the website email is fine - moparsunroofregistry@gmail.com
Thanks!
Scott.
I like all the effort you are going through and I asked you before but seemed to have lost the info. I have a 73 Scamp with sunroof and restoring it now and trying to find the sunroof seals
or something that will work any info would be greatly appreciated.

I like all the effort you are going through and I asked you before but seemed to have lost the info. I have a 73 Scamp with sunroof and restoring it now and trying to find the sunroof seals

Not to sidetrack this thread...but Fred, does your sunroof actually function?? Mine does not and I'd like to know if it can be fixed and if anyone knows what the common issue(s) are that cause the sunroof to not open.

Mine acts like there are some stripped gears or something.

Not to sidetrack this thread...but Fred, does your sunroof actually function?? Mine does not and I'd like to know if it can be fixed and if anyone knows what the common issue(s) are that cause the sunroof to not open.

Yes mine works great yellow rose and didn't when I bought the car.
The gear that runs the cables on mine was wore and no chance of finding one as far as I know.
If yours is like mine it's a simple fix if the cables are good. I took the block that holds the gear and cable out filed the sides down closest to the gear and shimmed the back side of the block so the cables came in closer to the gear. Didn't take much my shims are just a beer can thickness and that's what I used. Been working great for 4 years now and if you need will send you a picture.

Yes mine works great yellow rose and didn't when I bought the car.
The gear that runs the cables on mine was wore and no chance of finding one as far as I know.
If yours is like mine it's a simple fix if the cables are good. I took the block that holds the gear and cable out filed the sides down closest to the gear and shimmed the back side of the block so the cables came in closer to the gear. Didn't take much my shims are just a beer can thickness and that's what I used. Been working great for 4 years now and if you need will send you a picture.

Thank YOU. Please PM me a picture if you can. I'd love to get it working.

Thanks Fred. As far as I know, no one is reproducing the seals for A bodies yet. I have a borrowed set that I have got measurements off of, but I have to return them. I have toyed with the thought of having them reproduced, but I need to find my own set to send off, and I would need enough interest from owners that would definitely want a set once they are made up. For now, a good used set or something close enough is all that we have now. When I get time, I will post pictures of what the seals look like and the measurements for them.
Scott.

Yellow Rose - the most common problem with the manual sunroofs is the rectangular block that the gear is housed in. The cables are made of a harder metal than the block is. Therefore, the blocks develop grooves that allow the cables to separate from the gear just enough to start slipping. The solution is to shim like suggested, or find a less used block. There is a guy on this forum, dodgefreak8, that has reproduction rectangular blocks.

Here is the link on A Bodies only for the part: [FOR SALE] - Manual sunroof drive gear and guide plate. NEW PRODUCTION

Thanks Fred. As far as I know, no one is reproducing the seals for A bodies yet. I have a borrowed set that I have got measurements off of, but I have to return them. I have toyed with the thought of having them reproduced, but I need to find my own set to send off, and I would need enough interest from owners that would definitely want a set once they are made up. For now, a good used set or something close enough is all that we have now. When I get time, I will post pictures of what the seals look like and the measurements for them.
Scott.
Mine is good enough to read the part # and get the measurement off. if you need the front one Will send it to you free just to help get something going to at least help others. Will send you pictures if that helps.

Mine is good enough to read the part # and get the measurement off. if you need the front one Will send it to you free just to help get something going to at least help others. Will send you pictures if that helps.
Thanks Fred - yes I would like to verify that the Scamp weather seals are the same as the Duster and Demons. Just pictures will be fine for now. Hang on to your seals as at some point someone will need a sample for reproducing new ones.

One more option for seals - I have a couple of contacts that have actively hoarded sunroof parts. You can try either of these guys to see if they have seals or anything else you are after sunroof wise.

Dave Hemenway in Colorado: 303-770-5579
or
Jake Kelly in Michigan: 810-265-0675

-
Back