1972 vs 1973 Dash Wiring Harness

Electrical and Ignition

1. Jim Kueneman

Jim Kueneman Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    7:50 AM
    I have a '72 Duster that I am going to put a '73 Dart dash and AC system in. I am trying to decide what to buy from a dash wiring point of view. The M&H harnesses from Year One have a '72 A Body and '73 A Body that are over $100 different. I have looked at the schematics for the 2 years and there is very very little difference. Anyone have any thoughts on what the '73 harness would have that would make it $100 higher cost?

2. el5dart

el5dart Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    9:50 AM
    im not sure the 73 a/c box will bolt right in a 72 it definately wont bolt right up in a 71

3. MoparMike1974

MoparMike1974 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:50 AM
    I think the only difference would be extra stuff like seat belt buzzers and such.

4. KnuckleDuster

KnuckleDuster Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I used a 73 harness in my 72. Not too much difference that I remember. I had to add a wire for the passenger door switch, I think. My AC/Heater box is not functional, so can't comment on that, but everything connected.
    I found the 73 harness in great shape on here from a member for $100 shipped, I would post a wanted ad first.

*ALSO- read the disclamer on the Year One description for the harnesses about the connectors. Not sure if they are saying some are unavailable and missing???

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  5. Demonic

Demonic Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I'm not 100% sure, but check your firewall cutouts carefully.

For the wiring, check the cavity pinout, especially the alternator and fusibile link connectors. I know they vary between 73 and 75.

6. Jim Kueneman

Local Time:
    [el5dart]
    I have already cut the firewall patch out of the '73 and welded it in the '72 so the physical installation of the '73 AC/heater box is already handled. The schematics show that the firewall plug pinout is exactly the same between the years.

[KnuckleDuster]
    Thanks but I have the harness out of the '73 but I won't use 50 year old harnesses. I waffled on this with my Coronet until I started using some of the 50 year old harnesses and the blower motor switch connector got so hot I could not tough it because of the high resistance due to the years of corrosion in the factory crimp. If I had the energy to remove every connector and find every splice and solder them maybe but with as much money I am putting into the restoration a $400 harness is worth it.

7. whitepunkonnitro

whitepunkonnitro FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    Only difference between 72 and 73 that I can think of is are the connections for the heater/blower.
    74 is when things got crazy under there

8. 67Dart273

67Dart273 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    You do know? About the service manuals and wiring diagrams at MyMopar? Not sure all the 72's had electronic ignition. May have been split year/ option There were changes in smog equipment as well over the years 70--76 so check that out.

9. Jim Kueneman

Local Time:

Yup that is what I have been studying

10. 73hcode

73hcode Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    The M&H wiring I bought for my 73 Sport from year one had a few pins in the wrong place. I am sure you also know there is an inside a/c harness and an outside a/c harness. The new wiring is very easy to use and I don’t regret spending nearly a grand on all I needed.

11. 73hcode

73hcode Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    The M&H wiring I bought for my 73 Sport from year one had a few pins in the wrong place. I am sure you also know there is an inside a/c harness and an outside a/c harness. The new wiring is very easy to use and I don’t regret spending nearly

12. Jim Kueneman

Local Time:
    No regrets on my Coronet either. The sense of security that there will be no wiring gremlins and no fires on the side of the road is worth a grand to me as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.