1973-1976 A-Body Rim Size with Disc Brakes

-

LS&S

Reaction score
I had a friend tell me that these cars could be 14" rims with front disc brakes. I thought they were 15" rim only with front disc brakes. I was wondering who is right? Thanks!

My ‘73 Swinger with disc brakes had 14’s.
0CD67195-B61D-45B1-B977-E74F8AD6EFA8.jpeg

Thanks. My friend gets cudos. All I can say about me is that at least I had the wisdom to keep quiet when ignorant.:lol:

14” with factory steel wheels. Aftermarket and aluminum wheels is a crap shot so I went to a 15” on my Duster.

Yeah, A bodies never had 15s, disc brakes or not. 13s and 14s only from the factory. (Okay, the '68 Hemi Darts and Barracudas may have had 15s on the rear, but that was Hurst/Campbell, not production...)

Not "all" 14 inch wheels will fit. So be careful "which" wheels you get.

Yeah, A bodies never had 15s, disc brakes or not. 13s and 14s only from the factory.
Absolutely correct, but once you start trying to cram wider rims on to take advantage of modern tires you can throw out the what should fit because you will be in new territory. My Duster has 15x7 aluminum wheels with 215/65R15 tires up front. Could I have done it in a 14” wheel and tire combo, absolutely, but finding wheels in 14” in the style I wanted is more difficult, and risk of not fitting for various reasons. One thing to think about is tire balancing… yup, that can screw it all up. I did not want wheel weights on the outside of the rim so my tire mounting shop went with the style that stick to the inside of the wheels, a much cleaner look. However that affects wheel to caliper clearance. Lots of factors, and no wrong answer, just possible interference once you start changing things around from factory.

-
Back