Not open for further replies.

j_anderson

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Contact seller
I bought a 6319s to use on my project but its missing a couple of things and is in need of a rebuild.

View recent photos.jpeg

I'm looking for a rebuilder to test and tune the carb on a mule engine as part of the service. Does anyone here rebuild these carbs or have a rebuilder they'd recommend? I contacted Harms but he has a huge backlog due to some parts supplier issues and issues with his plater. He said he isn't taking on new work but will begin again potentially in the spring.

If I can't find a rebuilder, I'm going to have to try doing it myself but I dont know anything about the process. So, I am apprehensive about taking it on. If I am to rebuild it, I will need some pieces to make the carb complete.

The carb is missing:
Metering rods. I've done a bit of googling to try to find the correct spec rod that was used but cannot find anything definitive. Looking for recommended replacements.

It's missing the part on the end of this shaft and its rod that attaches to the fast idle lever
IMG_9213.jpeg

It's missing the fuel plunger arm, s-clip and connecting rod
IMG_9214.jpeg

I've seen the kits and almost bought one but I'm going to wait until I can see if I can find someone to rebuild first. I imagine they would supply the rebuild kit if they are restoring?
Kits don’t include jets and metering rods, those are the hard to find and expensive parts. Also when you buy a rebuilder, you don’t know what you are getting. If your phenolic resin fuel body is warped or damaged, your screwed. That’s why its best to buy from a reputable rebuilder that specializes in thermoquads, guaranteed working carb out of the box. If you think you can buy a core and DIY, you are rolling the dice and may find yourself down the rabbit hole.

Kits don’t include jets and metering rods, those are the hard to find and expensive parts. Also when you buy a rebuilder, you don’t know what you are getting. If your phenolic resin fuel body is warped or damaged, your screwed. That’s why its best to buy from a reputable rebuilder that specializes in thermoquads, guaranteed working carb out of the box. If you think you can buy a core and DIY, you are rolling the dice and may find yourself down the rabbit hole.
I mentioned earlier about modifying AFB rods. I've read here and other places that Holley jets will work with slight massaging.
I was wrong by saying that I have 6 bowls, I got way more plus lots of parts. Build it yourself, If you screw a part up, I'll give you what you need to replace it.

It says local pickup only. I’d buy if it were available to ship
It's a bit of a drive. But it's also about $300 below the going rate for those. I once drove a 400 mile round trip to get an NOS Strip Kit for AVS carbs for $50.
Maybe contact the seller and offer an extra $50 to ship it to you?
Good luck in your search.

This source says you need Strip Kit 10-115 for your TQ. So not the $100 one. But they also say they will sell rods and jets if you buy a kit from them.
THE CARBURETOR SHOP / Strip kits

I didn't realize there were so many strip kits for TQs. The bulk of my experience has been with AVSs.

I mentioned earlier about modifying AFB rods. I've read here and other places that Holley jets will work with slight massaging.
I was wrong by saying that I have 6 bowls, I got way more plus lots of parts. Build it yourself, If you screw a part up, I'll give you what you need to replace it.
Good of you to do this for someone. I too buy up thermoquads when I see them priced low just to have spare parts. Having spare parts for a carb no longer made for years is a good thing.

You can't go wrong with Dave @ Woodruff Carb Specialties in Glenmore Oh. He also offers a distributer recurving and knows what works best for your application as he has done many carb/dist. jobs with customers cars that they dropped off. You will NOT be disappointed !

I think the admin of that group does some restorations and rebuilds as well. Looked like good work.
Yes, I have joined that group and spoken with the admin. Considering sending my carb out to him. Their work looks nice

Pros: nice quality work, price, turn-around time
Cons: dealing with customs since they are located in Canada, he doesn’t test on a mule engine as part of his process

You can't go wrong with Dave @ Woodruff Carb Specialties in Glenmore Oh. He also offers a distributer recurving and knows what works best for your application as he has done many carb/dist. jobs with customers cars that they dropped off. You will NOT be disappointed !
Woodruff replied back to my email this morning. They have a backlog of about March.

Pros: nice quality work, middle of the road on quotes, dials in the carb on a running engine, complete restoration

Cons: turn-around time is about 5 mo.

Looks like it depends on how fast you want/need it, and how important the run-in is to you.
I've got one I was considering sending to Manley but I hadn't looked into the customs side of it. I know he does a bunch from here so it's doable, just a matter of how difficult they make it. My personal experience with Canadian customs while traveling and working in Canada has been dismal to date.

Looks like it depends on how fast you want/need it, and how important the run-in is to you.

I've got one I was considering sending to Manley but I hadn't looked into the customs side of it. I know he does a bunch from here so it's doable, just a matter of how difficult they make it.
My personal experience with Canadian customs while traveling and working in Canada has been dismal to date.
Sorry to here about your experience. I've sent speedometers and tachometers to Mr Heaterbox in Harrowsmith, ON thru the USPS on two occasions within the last 6 months and was fortunate to not have any issues sending or receiving and packages were delivered in a timely manner.

that carb takes 1966 metering rods, I have TQ parts, , i use one on my 340 race car, performs excellent. they are an easy carb to work on, just food for thought,

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back