1973 904 for 360

-

Johnny71dusty

Reaction score
I had a transmission fully rebuilt so it is completely empty and dry I have a new torque converter my question is how much transmission fluid should I buy. I saw on here someone said six or seven someone else said 10 . I plan to get mopar atf 4 as was strongly suggested in here on another thread .

how much do I buy ?

I START with two gallons and go from there. That is if it's completely dry. Put a quart in the converter too.

It's completely dry . And I know to fully up converter bur wasn't sure how much to put in thr converter or how much total . No one sells gallons lol . I got 10 quarts thibk I need more ?

It's completely dry . And I know to fully up converter bur wasn't sure how much to put in thr converter or how much total . No one sells gallons lol . I got 10 quarts thibk I need more ?
Possibly.

ATF Plus 4 is synthetic. It expands when warm. If it can leak it will leak....Type F is what my tranny guy recommends for transmissions that can use it and it's a lot less money. I ran F in the kids 904. And definately throw some fluid in the converter and put some on the seal before you slide the new converter in. Good luck.

Why does everyone have a crazy strong opinion on what fluid to put in a mopar 727 / 904 . Shouldn't this just be a fact ? Literally everyone has listed every type Trans fluid out there as " the one " to use .
Guy who rebuilt the trans who works for / owns local ammaco shop for last 40 years insists on " mopar 4 " but we couldn't find it so he said " atf+4 " is second best choice . But again I want to use what is best for the trans o don't care what the answer is but how can it be " dextron " and "type f " and so on.

The amounts are in the service manuals, you can down load them free, MyMopar. Of course a big pan, etc will change that, and so will converter size

Mopar fluid was type 7176 and now type 4 9602. Can't get 7176 anymore. I'm sorry didn't mean to stir things up. Atf plus 4 will be fine. It just tends to leak. You said you were going to run that. Go ahead.

Why does everyone have a crazy strong opinion on what fluid to put in a mopar 727 / 904 . Shouldn't this just be a fact ? Literally everyone has listed every type Trans fluid out there as " the one " to use .
Guy who rebuilt the trans who works for / owns local ammaco shop for last 40 years insists on " mopar 4 " but we couldn't find it so he said " atf+4 " is second best choice . But again I want to use what is best for the trans o don't care what the answer is but how can it be " dextron " and "type f " and so on.
I don't give a **** what you use. All I was doin was showin you it comes in gallons. THe service manual says Dexron. You caint get Dexron anymore. I'm not sure you can find Dexron II. You can still find Dexron III, which is what I posted. No need for Dexron VI as that's synthetic. Run what you want, but it DOES come in gallons.

Lots of guys use trans/hydraulic fluid. Like stated above u can run almost anything in them. Even vegetable oil will work. U certainly don’t need synthetic, but it’s best to go with what the rebuilder guy says. Do u have the proper neutral flex plate and balanced converter a balanced flex plate and a neutral converter? Kim

Last edited:
I knew a guy who sprung a trans leak out in the desert. All he had was water, so he put a gallon and a half of that in there just to get back to town. Drained it out and put trans fluid in and no problems. But don't EVER put gasoline in your trans. Don't ask me how I know!

-
Back