1973 Dart Swinger cooling

-
Is the Mopar part # for a 1973 Dart shroud 3691916 ? Also would a clutch fan help to keep temperature down?
you haven't yet verified that you're getting hot enough to even worry about any of this stuff. You could simply be going from 170 to 190 and really having no big deal. Until you verify a numerical temperature we're just talking back and forth....

Temperature sending units are definitely a resistance type meter. Generally the sending unit is matched to the gauge. It's reading it's resistance. When you put in a new sending unit you could have merely change the amount of resistance and make the meter read a different number. I guess what I'm saying is putting a new sending unit in doesn't cool your engine down it just gives a different reading. Aim the heat gun at the driver side head and right underneath the valve cover when the heat is at its hottest. If it says anything under 210 you're fine.... Obviously don't point it at the exhaust it will be well over three hundred....

Temperature sending units are definitely a resistance type meter. Generally the sending unit is matched to the gauge. It's reading it's resistance. When you put in a new sending unit you could have merely change the amount of resistance and make the meter read a different number. I guess what I'm saying is putting a new sending unit in doesn't cool your engine down it just gives a different reading. Aim the heat gun at the driver side head and right underneath the valve cover when the heat is at its hottest. If it says anything under 210 you're fine.... Obviously don't point it at the exhaust it will be well over three hundred....
Okay thanks will try the heat gun.

The direct drive 7-blade fan is more than adequate.The only fan-clutch to use is a thermostatic type which accomplishes the same thing but may reduce power consumption at hiway speeds....... if it goes into slip-mode.
IMO, If your engine is healthy and the ignition timing is adequate, then all you might need is a shroud, and the fan should be half way into it.
I have run lots of 318 cars without shrouds, but our summer temps up here are rarely past the high 80s, and then not for more than perhaps 3/4 days in a row. Today tho, it hit 90, now we're having a thunder shower, and things are cooling off nicely.
For comparison; I use an ancient 73 318 A/C rad, to cool my 400hp plus, 11/1, 367 cuber and it works just fine. And no, I didn't cut the core support to fit it.Yes on the shroud, the 7-blader and T-clutch. I run a 207* minimum coolant temp and I'm sure the aluminum heads are pretty good radiators.

That’s a clean Dart and nice colour combo!

I’ve got a similar set up to you (318 w 19” rad) with the original shroud. I’ve got the MP thermostatic clutch fan and also upgraded to a 4bbl. In hot weather (which isn’t super hot here in Vancouver) it runs at the 12 o’clock position on the temperature gauge in stop and go traffic.

That’s a clean Dart and nice colour combo!

I’ve got a similar set up to you (318 w 19” rad) with the original shroud. I’ve got the MP thermostatic clutch fan and also upgraded to a 4bbl. In hot weather (which isn’t super hot here in Vancouver) it runs at the 12 o’clock position on the temperature gauge in stop and go traffic.
Thanks. Is yours a 904 transmission? Can you take a picture of how your shroud mounts ? Found one for a 1974-76 but the guy says it won’t fit a 1973 !

Yup 904. There are 4 bolts that hold it to the rad. In the photo you can see the top one clearly.

1709D10D-58C4-4DBB-B1B6-573E69218953.jpeg

Yup 904. There are 4 bolts that hold it to the rad. In the photo you can see the top one clearly.

View attachment 1715361054
Thanks so is there just clips on the rad that the bolts screw into? Also seen a car like yours think it was a 1975 guy ordered it New with 318 and a 3 speed standard with overdrive never seen one before with a standard.

Until you can put a real number to the temperature its just guessing.
Mechanical temp gauges are inexpensive.
Not boiling over is a good indicator of not having a problem, or not a serious one.
Got a reading with a heat gun. Running 220-225 in traffic. It’s okay when nit in traffic. If I go to 22” radiator will I have to change hoses and where the transmission lines go in?

-
Back