1973 Dodge Dart Swinger 318 Carter 2bbl Carb Issues

-

Harley Barker

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I recently purchased this Dart and my father and I have been working on it. We are able to get it running by priming the carb, but it dies when it has burned the fuel we put in there.

We replaced the fuel pump and it has plenty of pressure. We are assuming the carb is gummed up or the floats are sticking from it sitting for a few years.

We want to rebuild the factory Carter AFB 2 bbl on it. I ordered a rebuild kit for it, but the manual I ordered for the car only covers the 6cyl version and doesn't seem to have a detailed process for the carb rebuild.

Does anyone have a link to where I can print this info off, or a link to the correct manual I need to purchase?

Thank ya'll in advance!

Harley

The rebuild kit should have a detailed blowup drawing.

When you take it apart take 1000 photos. Lay the parts out on a big table and keep things organized. Bag and tag. Take 1000 more photos.

Note where linkage is on holes and direction.

Be VERY careful taking the jets and idle mixture screws out. The jets tend to be brittle, get a proper jet remover tool, at worst a brand new really wide and thick screwdriver.

Idle mixture screws on some carbs are retains by set screws if you just keep turning you WILL brake them

Oh and by the way take 1000 more photos.

Keep all the gaskets

And take more photos

Clean out all the passages, and the carb as a whole

And reassemble

Look at all the photos you took to know where things go and which way.

Not that hard.

@67Dart273 (I think) has a method to set the carb up before putting it back on the manifold

-
Back