1973 Plymouth Duster 6.1 Hemi Swap

-

Korican

Newb
Reaction score
So when I bought this 73 Duster I didn't know nothing about old cars. I came up driving imports and fuel injection. So when I started looking for a classic muscle car I started researching affordable options and that is when I came across the Mopar A bodies. I found this 73 Duster and it needed some suspension work but overall was solid with a good running motor. Although she struggled up hills and the very conservative rear gear didn't help with getting around town lol. I was initimated by the things I wasn't familiar with like the carb. So I started looking into things to change my Duster. It resulted in me coming across a guy named Joe Hinds. At that time he was running a shop called Bulldawg Musclecars and at that time the cars he had at his shop was impressive. I came across those who had done Gen 3 Hemi swaps and he had started a Cuda with a 5.7 Hemi that got changed to a Viper motor. I went to this shop and found out Joe was working on a Gen 3 Hemi swap book. After talking to Joe, the Gen 3 Hemi swap seemed like a good idea that would give me what I was looking for. Modern motor with classic good looks. I found a 6.1 Hemi and we ended up using the 545 tranny.

Things started great but over time went South. Things started to get sketchy and eventually it became a nightmare with what seemed like a never ending money pit. In the end, for various reasons. Mostly due to Joe Hinds dealings with his customers and how he managed his business. It resulted in him closing his shop. Leaving me and many others with incomplete cars along with money lost. My car was even damaged while in his shop. Where to "make good on it" they were going to repaint it for me but that never happened. Also the book he had been working on still has yet to be published and may never be.

It would seem that Joe Hinds had closed his shop Bulldawg Musclecars in order to avoid a lawsuit or lawsuits from other unhappy customers. Yet I have heard Joe Hinds has started another shop recently called Cherokee Speed & Custom or Street Freaks Inc. That is kinds confusing on which name it actually is. Maybe his "new customers" will have better dealing than his old ones.

Lesson learned and will never do anything like that again. Had to take my Duster incomplete and broken to Florida to a man called Mike Staveski of LexiJ/RMR Dreamcars. They got the Duster finished, running, and painted.

From this If I can't do it myself than it ain't happening. Also during that time I bought a 1970 Dodge Dart and over time learned to feel much more comfortable with the things I didn't know when I first bought the Duster. I recently sold that Dart and bought a 72 Charger.

Below are the pics of my Duster in the beginning.

IMG_0023_1024.jpg

IMG_0025_1024.jpg

IMG_0042_1024.jpg

Work started by Joe Hinds of formally Bulldawg Musclecars that had to close down due to the negative dealings and Joe's management.

IMG_0241_1024.jpg

IMG_0285_1024.jpg

thumb_12742484_10153575715774412_4876973278134800007_n_1024.jpg

Their attempt to prep for repaint to fix the damage they caused while my Duster was with Joe Hinds / Bulldawg Musclecars.

IMG_1778.JPG

IMG_1779.JPG

IMG_1783.JPG

Last edited:
What I was left with and technically had paid for a completed car. He was filing for bankruptcy protection to protect his assets.

Joe Hinds Bulldawg Musclecars Cherokee Speed & Custom Street Freaks Inc.

IMG_2168.JPG

IMG_2173.JPG

IMG_2177.JPG

Last edited:
Cont...

Joe Hinds Bulldawg Musclecars Cherokee Speed & Custom Street Freaks Inc.

IMG_2178.JPG

IMG_2185.JPG

IMG_2208.JPG

IMG_2219.JPG

Last edited:
Cont... Mike Staveski and his crew at LexiJ/RMR Dreamcars in Hudson FL.

IMG_2644.jpg

IMG_2645.jpg

IMG_2647.jpg

IMG_2648.jpg

Last edited:
Cont. Mike Staveski and his crew at LexiJ/RMR Dreamcars in Hudson FL.

IMG_2646.jpg

IMG_2694.JPG

IMG_2688.JPG

Last edited:
Sorry about your bad experience. Car is awesome! Joe Hinds on the Gen 3 Swap page on Facebook.

Yep, same one. Also thanks, many lessons (expensive lessons) were learned. I tried to be careful with only paying invoices after seeing proof of work done. Yet there was many questionable or vague labor hours charged that just became more suspect as time when on. As well when you see the same cars there for years not finished was just more indication of troublesome dealings. I saw he just posted in that group on Facebook that he could not publish the "book" he had spent like over 3 years on cause the publisher wanted to change much of it or something.

As a former customer of his that dealt with almost three years of having my car with him. I was not surprised with the over promising and under delivering of why his book would not be coming out.

sweet ride!

Thanks, eventually it did become a pretty sweet ride.

Sorry about your bad experience. Car is awesome! Joe Hinds on the Gen 3 Swap page on Facebook.
Joe is the same guy I called out on 3g. He stole over $60k from me and destroyed my car so bad I had to send it to the scrap yard. He stole a brand new LSX crate motor worth over $25k from another customer and filed for bankruptsy because a guy with a z28 spend over a $100k on a car that went to the junk yard too. This guy needs to stay off the boards and away from peoples cars. I suspect the police will catch up with him soon on the theft of the motor.

Joe is the same guy I called out on 3g. He stole over $60k from me and destroyed my car so bad I had to send it to the scrap yard. He stole a brand new LSX crate motor worth over $25k from another customer and filed for bankruptsy because a guy with a z28 spend over a $100k on a car that went to the junk yard too. This guy needs to stay off the boards and away from peoples cars. I suspect the police will catch up with him soon on the theft of the motor.

Man, you keep doing that to people and eventually you're going to do it to the wrong guy and get hurt.

Some more pics of my 6.1 Hemi swap 1973 Duster and one of my old 1970 Dodge Dart with SB 360...

IMG_2941.jpg

IMG_3147.jpg

IMG_3149.jpg

1973 Duster 6.1 Hemi swap and another one my old 1970 Dart along with one with friend's 55 Ford F100/65 Mustang Fastback...

1973 Plymouth Duster 6.1 Hemi Corbeau Seats

IMG_2706.JPG

IMG_2799.JPG

IMG_2806.JPG

IMG_2808.JPG

IMG_2809.JPG

IMG_2814.PNG

Last edited:
1973 Duster 6.1 Hemi swap and another one my old 1970 Dart. Also couple with my friends 65 Fastback Mustang...

1973 Plymouth Duster 6.1 Hemi Corbeau Seats

IMG_2816.JPG

IMG_2830.JPG

IMG_2845.JPG

IMG_2858.JPG

IMG_2865.JPG

Sorry to hear about your ordeal - but the final product is abso-FREAKIN-loutely beautiful.

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear about your ordeal - but the final product is abso-FREAKIN-loutely beautiful.

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks! Also some additional pics from the Meeting of The Mopars at the Wellborn Car Museum.

IMG_4287.jpg

IMG_4280.jpg

28576226_10155344245416765_4150797993971763334_n.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back