1973 Scamp ?

-

Kent mosby

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Tires are so important but not easy. I have a 1973 scamp with an 8 3/4 BBP rear end that was narrowed to 49.5 inches. I have the SS leaf springs moved in by 1/2 inch with Dr Diff relocation kit. No tubbing done at all. The shock plates have 1/16 inch space from the brake backing plate. I safely have 4 inches from the wheel mounting surface. This means my backspace will need to be small, about 3 inches. What is the widest tire size that will fit for the rear only?

I am speaking about section width. Can I get 265s or 275s on a 9 inch rim?
Is 27 inch the tallest in this configuration?

Surely I will need to get a specific wheel with the correct backspace.

Is that 49.5” width just the housing? Or is that wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface?

Either way I tend to agree, that’s probably custom wheel territory.

As for what will fit it will depend on your car, but 275’s are possible on the Dart/Scamp bodies with the 1/2” offset. It depends on what your inner wheel well to quarter lip measurement is. Section width on a 275 is about 11”, so you’ll need at least 12” in the wheel well to clear it. That’s about where your car should be, but body tolerances vary. If you’re willing to do a little trimming on the quarter lip it’ll work, if you’re not then hopefully your car rolled down the line on a generous day for wheel well tolerances.

The 27” wheel shouldn’t be a problem, it will be close but should clear. Worst case you may need to shim the front spring hangers back a little bit. But with SS springs probably not.

You didn’t mention what diameter rims you plan on using, which will determine the width you need. For 15’s you can put a 275 on a 15x8, no problem. If you run 17’s you need a 17x9, same for 18’s. With either of those you’d probably be better off with a 9.5”, but the 9” will work.

Thank you for the feedback. The 49.5 is just the housing. If I did not move the leafs, they would not fit. I needed a rear end and it was local so I made it work. Trimming will be done if needed. I would like to use 15s but may do 17s not sure yet. Time for more measures and mock-ups. Again, I appreciate the wisdom and help

Nothing like trying a set on from a friend or associate or car buddy that has the size wheels and tires you are looking to fit to your car.

Lots easier to test fit before you buy, especially when you are talking a custom width rear end.

Figuring your back spacing on the rim will probably be the first thing you want yo do.

4EFE6875-F900-4139-A8A6-7DF79E2FCC63.jpeg
I got the rear wheels in place. May have a bit more room than I thought. 255/60-15. 1/2 inch from the leaf springs but more clearance on the outside. The car is a shell without engine, fuel tank or interior so it may sit higher than when complete. Body is rough. Next year’s project.

View attachment 1715477710 I got the rear wheels in place. May have a bit more room than I thought. 255/60-15. 1/2 inch from the leaf springs but more clearance on the outside. The car is a shell without engine, fuel tank or interior so it may sit higher than when complete. Body is rough. Next year’s project.

What is the back space on the rims, 4.25 ?

Good fit on the Dart, tough fitting clearance on the quarters.

-
Back