1974 Dart Sport “Desert Rat”

-

mopower76

Reaction score
EE5B44B2-AB7E-46AA-8C6E-4B9863E3F603.jpeg

A54A4EFC-51D2-43F1-BA41-90250D034A99.jpeg
6BFCF3C1-A67D-43B4-A1C9-EEAE5DDF8873.jpeg
2A41C922-98D4-4C89-8533-FA83AFA521F3.jpeg
Thought I’d take some time and post some pictures of my new a body project, it’s been quite a while since I worked on and a body.
We recently relocated to Phoenix Arizona from Champaign Illinois and I have always dreamed of pulling a rust free Mopar out of the desert… Well, I did it!
Not quite all it’s cracked up to be, I was hoping for a quick cleanup get it running and driving and leave it somewhat ready but as so many projects go… It is now getting pretty much everything!
My plan is to make it somewhat of a rat rod, since the exterior has all of its original paint I plan on leaving it the way it is cleaning it up adding new stripes and a vinyl top.
The motor turned out not the original but a 1970 to 318 with 904 transmission.
Unlike my last 1970 Plymouth duster I built this one is going to stay a small block but the plan is to dress a late model magnum engine to look like an original LA 360.
The name desert rat comes from the inside of the car being completely overrun by Desert rat‘s. It needs a complete overhaul and is getting it currently!
I have already relied on members here on FAO for parts and tips as I did with my 1970 duster for 440 project.
If this one turns out half as nice as the 70 I will be thrilled! I just want a cool original patina cruiser with AC. Again it was going to be a quick flip but… turns out I really like the car and feel it is well deserving of the build I am giving the car.
The car was purchased in Kingman Arizona and came with a fairly complete 1973 dart sport as a parts car. That car is for sale and I will take any reasonable offer!
Any comments are welcome, I’ve been restoring Mopar’s for 20+ years and I am thrilled to be doing A dart sport. I have always wanted a 71 or 72 dodge demon but this is close enough for now!

Last edited:
C05139C0-9E14-4B7A-BD2D-F1FD706078D5.jpeg
88C5E129-963C-47FD-B496-81EFF66028BE.jpeg
4A18E794-7F46-4501-ABA2-9CB27F556737.jpeg
77134553-DE96-44AD-A3CD-724251CCDA3B.jpeg
F82FE217-D97A-48FA-BE4D-08DCC99762A4.jpeg
2FBCA2BD-C6C9-4A44-A7B4-31755FB8A2A1.jpeg
So far I have got it in the interior and spent many hours pressure washing in the greasing the car top to bottom inside and out. I pulled the motor and transmission and I am currently searching for a magnum 360. I am going to lightly build the 904 with a new converter and shift kit.

I remember when I first moved to Nevada from Pa. Same as you I drooled over the cars that were truly "Rust Free"
Nice Score !!

70052A55-21BC-4894-8B9E-AB7EE0DF41FD.jpeg
0741C8DC-4D0A-4187-888A-0E2B0415EFD7.jpeg
5393D781-1AE3-4AFE-AFCB-0B27645BB750.jpeg
62BCE5A0-CF65-4620-9B5C-B1DAADB95E15.jpeg
25784904-13D4-4B88-B22B-C27C757C76ED.jpeg
F7B2A088-4DCA-4AB9-913A-EDB83A35ECDE.jpeg
08DB1488-EA7F-4CD6-8307-59A1FA2162C5.jpeg
D95E92A0-2F50-4487-BC72-3E36EEB3EE9A.jpeg
I have the dashboard pretty well restored and almost ready to go! I restored all of the gauges cluster trim and dash pad.
I’m trying to do this car as a budget build buying all parts online and as inexpensive as possible.
There are many threads on restoring gauge bezels and to do it on the cheap I used ALSA killer chrome spray cans to restore the chrome on the dash, not exactly chrome but better than spray paint.
The dashboard had of been cut previously so I clean the area up and installed a alpine Bluetooth receiver which complements the chrome trim on the dashboard fairly well in my opinion.
I’m fairly happy with how it’s turning out so far.

Last edited:
4CF62058-BC96-4117-A7A5-FCB4BD3A8CCA.jpeg
382177CF-B3EF-4BDA-9788-6160EF46D915.jpeg
I have the AC box torn apart with a new gasket and insulation kit from Detroit muscle and will be having the heater core and evaporator tested then waiting for carpet and firewall insulation. The floor pans are in excellent shape with light surface rust on way and have been treated with POR 15. After the carpet goes in then it will be AC box time.

Nice find! What part of the valley did you end up in?

We moved to Queen Creek, pretty far south and east so that I could have land for storage. Unfortunately this means our drivers sit outside, but there is room for the 28 foot enclosed car trailer and my 24 foot open trailer to be stored on the property.
No buildings as yet, only a 3 1/2 car attached garage to work out of it for now. My pink 1970 charger is being stored in my 28 foot enclosed car trailer as a temporary garage. My 71 GTX and 70 challenger sit in the garage so I am building this dart completely outside, never could accomplish this in Illinois!
Going from a 2500 square-foot shop to a 3 1/2 car garage is a huge change!
Need another shop that size so bad I can taste it!!!

View attachment 1715266904 View attachment 1715266905 I have the AC box torn apart with a new gasket and insulation kit from Detroit muscle and will be having the heater core and evaporator tested then waiting for carpet and firewall insulation. The floor pans are in excellent shape with light surface rust on way and have been treated with POR 15. After the carpet goes in then it will be AC box time.

Thanks Tony! Just received the vacuum harness, it’s exactly what I needed!

The car looks amazing! I really would like to repaint the outside but I’m hoping just shined up a bit with new top and stripe it will look pretty good. Interior/trunk/under hood should be mint, outside patina but nice.
I’m just glad all of the trim is there and just about exceptional.
It’s kind of how my 70 FM3 Charger is, and they are more fun to drive this way!
Did you swap an 8.75 in or is it still 7.25/8.25?

That car is clean, also I like your hidden winch on the trailer.

Mine had a 8 1/4 and it always seemed like the rear tires set in and we're on a narrower track than the fronts. I had a 8 3/4 with a 3.91 sure grip from a 66 charger that I relocated the spring pads on and it made the rear tires sit centered of the wheel wells. Hard to tell with the new wheels on but the track looked right while it had the stock rallyes.

Looking good! Being from Missouri, my project cars always start with replacing the floors.... it would be awesome to start with something rust free.

There was a supplier in Illinois selling those oversized truck boxes and I bought 3 of these giants for $100 each 20+ years ago. Winch, batteries, tie downs, tool boxes, supplies all fit.
It makes for great storage on an open trailer.

“I had a 8 3/4 with a 3.91 sure grip from a 66 charger”

I’m amazed you didn’t have to have it narrowed! I figured the 66-67 charger/coronet would be the same as a 68-70 B Body?

Looking good! Being from Missouri, my project cars always start with replacing the floors.... it would be awesome to start with something rust free.
That’s exactly what I have dealt with my entire time working on Mopars and anything else, rust belt is no joke!
Thankfully the floors are just surface rust.
It’s just so nice to have everything break loose so easily, even the brake lines are just perfect.
The drivers lower quarter was filled with rat poop and bedding and held water so there is a minimal amount on the lower area but it’s very little. I’m planning on cutting it out and welding in a piece and trying to blend the paint into the original under the lower body line.
I do paint and body And probably part of the reason I want this one left in its original paint.

“I'm amazed you didn’t have to have it narrowed! I figured the 66-67 charger/coronet would be the same as a 68-70 B Body?

I think the difference was only 2 inches. 66-67 B bodies are narrower than the 68-70. I only had to move the perches in .5 inch on each side. Probably could have hung it as it was, but I wanted to do it right and not worry about the leaf springs being in a bind.

Wow looks like you have a nice start. The paint looks amazing to be original. I love that color although im partial that was the original color of my 75 dart too! You did absolutely an amazing job on that dash! I have to know how did you do the wood grain on the trim pieces? That looks amazing. Mine is the also the fo wood grain that is peeling off. What my idea is to get some sticky backed wood veneer vinyl. Like for counter tops. And have my wife cut it in her cricut. That way all the holes are accurate. Yours looks truly amazing its better than original for sure.

Dartfreak75 - Thanks so much for the great compliment!
It really didn’t take much time and the wood grain is Dyknock from Detroit Muscle on eBay. Just be sure to get the proper year. They are a great company and they offer some super products for our cars. I’ve used them for years now.
If you follow the instructions to a T and don’t get in a rush it will turn out perfect every time.
Like they state, never too much Windex and very little trimming, blow dryer on low heat, wait 24hrs then finish pressing all corners and final trimming.
Thanks again!

Thanks for sharing those links! I think that I will probably use those wood grain decals. For 50 bucks that looks great and takes out the guess work of making my own.

Thanks for sharing those links! I think that I will probably use those wood grain decals. For 50 bucks that looks great and takes out the guess work of making my own.
Absolutely! So worth the money, and half what others are charging.
They also offer a burled wood and carbon fiber look.

-
Back